Sign in to follow this  
Piov

Eighth Session of the Imperial Senate, 1750-1752

Eirik Baruch writes out a small missive to Terrence May which would read his casted votes

To Mr. President, @Piov

”I wish to formally apologize my hapless absence at today’s honorable Senate session, I made my return to Valwyck late last night and my arrival to the Imperial city took longer than I initially planned. Despite my absent seat today I seek to vote on the bills presented today:

>On the amended form of ‘Worker’s Right’s Guild’, I strongly vote in favor of this bill passing.

>On the ‘Napier-Ruthledge Bill’, I staunchly vote in full favor of this bill passing”

From the hospital where young William Napier was recuperating from his wounds, he would send a letter to the Senate.

“On the amendmened Workers Right’s Guild’, I vote AYE in favour of it.”

“On the Napier-Rutledge Bill, I vote AYE in favour of it.”

Sir Beelzebub, Clerk of the Senate, calls the roll.

FOREIGN TOBACCO AND CACTI PROHIBITION ACT, 1751

15 H.C. 1751

AYE

Callahan

De Antunyes

May

Napier

Rutledge

Wright

NAY
Baruch

Basrid

WORKER’S RIGHTS BILL, 1751

15 G.T. 1751

AYE

Baruch

Callahan

De Antunyes

May

Napier

Rutledge

NAY

Basrid

PRESENT

Wright

NAPIER-RUTLEDGE BILL, 1751

3 O.F. 1751

AYE

Baruch

Basrid

Callahan

De Antunyes

May

Napier

Rutledge

Wright

Concluding the roll, the Clerk of the Senate presents the bills to the President.

@Piov

The Imperial Crown hereby does assent to the passage of the Napier-Rutledge, Foreign Tobacco and Cacti Prohibition, and Treason & Sedition Acts of 1751.

Pursuant to the contents of the Treason & Sedition Act, however, the Crown requires changes of the National Language Act and Workers’ Rights Bill of 1751.

On the National Language Act:

• Auvergne, a historied language still present among Orenian families today, must be recognized as a protected language so to preserve the dignity and identity of that part of Oren.
  • Section II details that protected languages may be “used in provincial government“, which conflicts with the definition of our national language described in Section I. As we are one state composed of an Orenian people together, the Crown advises the term in Section II be omitted in favour of Section I.

On the Workers’ Rights Bill:

• The very classification of a “worker” is undefined, outlandish, and inherently damaging to our Orenian identity. “Working” is not a trade, craft, or art, but merely a classification meant to divide kin from kin; father from son. The Crown requires that the name of this bill and all references to “workers” within be changed to something appropriate. The Crown recommends “Orenian Employment Rights” as this bill’s name.
  • The classifications of a “union” and “labour party” is similar, and are required to be substituted with a traditional and understood institution such as guilds.
  • Section I references “just and favourable conditions of work”, but provides no explanation as to what these conditions constitute. The Crown requires this to be defined or omitted.
  • Section I references “protection against unemployment”, but provides no explanation as to what this protection constitutes. The Crown requires this to be defined or omitted.
  • Section I references “periodic holidays”, which is already defined by a previous act passed by the Imperial Senate. The Crown recommends this to be elaborated further or omitted in favour of the National Holiday Act.
  • Section I defines a minimum age of employment (13 years), which unfortunately discriminates against young Orenians and eliminates various roles held by Orenian children.
  • Section I references “equal pay for equal work”, but provides no explanation as to what this constitutes. The Crown requires this to be defined or omitted.
  • Finally, the Crown requires clarification on the status of serfdom within the Empire and how the Bill affects this traditional institution.

IMPERIAL SENATE

16th of the Sun’s Smile, 1751

Subject: Confirmation hearing of Mister Valandos Elverhilin for the Western Circuit Court

Reporting from the Imperial Senate Committee on Justice

Members Present
Mister Cyrus Basrid of Helena
Sir Terrence May GCM of Haense

May: This hearing will come to order. Mister Valandos Elverhilin, by virtue of the Chancellery, you have been nominated to serve on the bench of the Western Circuit, encompassing the joint-jurisdiction of Helena and Haense. I now invite you to give an opening statement about your worthiness to such a role before we proceed to questions. 

Basrid: An elf?

May: Order.

Elverhilin: Indeed, thank you. I am Valandos Elverhilin, a mali. However, for the past eighteen years, I have resided in the human lands, namely in Helena and Haense. My father was a kingsguard in Haense. I have studied under [Vice Chancellor] Joachim, studying law and the judiciary in hope of one day spreading such concepts to my own people. It is because of this that I believe myself fit for this position. 

May: Thank you, Mister Elverhilin for your opening statement. I now recognize myself for questions. 

May: Mister Elverhilin, do you have a broad familiarity with the five infractions of Imperial Law?

Elverhilin: I am not as well-versed as I should be, no. 

May: Very well then. Given the nature of this role, it will require some familiarity with the law. As a judge, do you believe that you will become accustomed to this code so that you might be able to render judgment with an informed mind?

Elverhilin: Aye, I shall.

May: I now recognize the senior senator from Helena for questions.

Basrid: Thank you, Mister President. My question has to do with your participation. I know that you were apart of the Elven Office and had a residency within the Imperial Palace. How do I know that you won’t disappear once you get the job? And disappear for God knows how many years? How will you alleviate my fears that you won’t fail to be a participating member of our judiciary? 

Elverhilin: My llir, because I shall give an oath.

Basrid: Well you gave your oath to Irrinor then, no? How many more times must you give an oath to commit to something?

Elverhilin: No oath was given for me to remain in Helena for the war effort. Upon the commencing of the war effort, I had moved my mali towards a frontal position for guerilla attacks upon Irrinor. Such is why I maintain a significant number of the same forces here.

Basrid: I would like to ask- How long were you away from the capital?

Elverhilin: Nine years to my knowledge.

Basrid: What makes you qualified if you’ve been gone for nine years? You even said that you’re unfamiliar with the law code, so how can we adequately trust you to perform this job? 

Elverhilin: I believe Joachim can vouch that I am very capable of learning. And, since my return one and a half years ago today, I have become very acquainted with the great city of Helena once again. I’ve purchased two local enterprises including the local smithy and I currently reside here.

Basrid: When I speak of the city, I mean the people, the very same people you will be serving in the western circuit. 

Elverhilin: Indeed, the same people I say I am familiar, with whom I live amongst and to whose daily lives that I contribute towards. 

Basrid: Do you know as judge of the western circuit court what you will be representing and the duties you are to fulfill? 

Elverhilin: I do.

Basrid: Explain.

Elverhilin: Indeed, I do. I am he who delivers the due process of law to those peoples of Helena and that of Reza, both cities where I and my father had resided for many years. I am to apply the due process of law from the Imperial codex, in any case presented to me.

Basrid: Mister Valandos, elves have a different perception of time, and they’re known to live for hundreds of human years. How do I know that this difference of perception will not affect your ability to make judgments on cases, and how do I know that since you live for hundreds of years, you won’t improperly sentence a man, say half of his life? 

Elverhilin: I am but forty-eight, friend Cyrus. I have only lived half of that lifetime, among Man. I have many friends and have grown up with them in human lands. I am still within a fraction of my life but make no mistake, I am very conscious of every day, week, month, and year that has passed. I am very lucid in regards with time. 

Basrid: Two more questions, Mister President.

May: Without objection. The gentleman may continue. 

Basrid: I have a question about your garb. You must know that once one becomes a prestigious judge, one must wear something more appropriate for the position you’ve for which been nominated. Will you throw off that elven garb in favor of the style of the Crownlands?

Elverhilin: I am more than capable of donning on clothes fitting for the position.

Basrid: Yes, that headband must go.

Basrid: My final question has to do with your sentencing. Would you prefer to use a jury or your personal judgment as a judge? Also as an example, say a human was caught stealing secret documents that were of utmost importance to the Empire. What crime classification would you give it?

Elverhilin: Treason. If I am not a man, how could I sentence a man without a jury? Yet in other cases, a jury would be a waste of precious time for the people of Haense and Helena. It matters heavily on a case by case, it my opinion.

Basrid: I yield back. 

May: Without objection, let the record show that Mister Valandos Elverhilin has attended his hearing. The committee shall report this transcript to the full floor and commend its reading to all colleagues for a final vote of confirmation.

A gavel adjourns the hearing.

Presented by Chairman T. May 18 H.F. 1751

Edited by Piov

“I will vote NAY.” says the Greatest Senator from Helena, Cyrus Basrid.

“YEA.”

Writes in Mr. Napier, the letter coming from the local hospital.

Arthur stands up,

”I vote nay.”

Eirik Baruch reads over the transcript and after short deliberation to himself he begins to write yet another missive to Terrence May.

Mr. President, @Piov

“After taking the time to read over the transcript, I’ve come to the conclusion to vote against the confirmation. No being no matter their race, gender or creed should be confirmed to any justice court of man solely because of the fact they have no comprehension of the simple five infractions of Imperial Law. I cast my vote in stiff opposition to Mister Elverhilin being confirmed to the Western Circuit Court simply because of this point.”

“Mr President,

Honorable colleagues, I am quite astonished by the nomination before us. It seems after the ridiculous appointment of Mister Alfius Elpyne and an attempt to jam the judiciary with judges, irregardless of whatever qualification, this Ministry has proceeded with another questionable individual who will preside over the Western Circuit. Indeed, I speak of no ill-will to the personal integrity and character of Mister Valandos Elverhilin, whose storied experience in the past half-century has equaled a great contribution to this Empire. He has served well for the people of my constituency and has held, by virtue of his kin, a great fraction of his life in our midst as his father protected the King of Haense’s predecessors. I am glad he has invested his time and talent into our capital, creating and supporting us with his men, and harboring a sense of duty to those who live in this country.

However, when asked about the classification of crime, the nominee in question could not even say he had remote exposure or familiarity. A judge is charged with weighing the crime, but if he who is presiding knows not of the crime, how will he be judicious? I am happy he has said he will be studious and learn the proceedings and the laws. I was there, however, when we voted to pass the Judiciary Act back in 1740! The Senate invests a great deal of confidence and trust that the laws be faithfully interpreted by an independent court. As I stated previously in my remarks about the last judiciary nominee, I said that a senator must not vote in the affirmative lest he or she is absolutely inclined by the credentials and insight of the nominee. 

In this sentiment, I vote PRESENT on this nomination. While not lacking faith in his good will as he has served my constituency faithfully in the past, I cannot be for certain my confidence in his ability to be a judge of the courts.” 

Senator Vivaca Rutledge rises,

“I vote nay on Elverhilin.”

The Clerk of the Senate, Sir Beelzebub, calls the roll as obligated.

CONFIRMATION OF MISTER VALANDOS ELVERHILIN

AYE

Napier

NAY

BARUCH

BASRID

CALLAHAN

RUTLEDGE

PRESENT

De Antunyes

May

ABSENT

Vacancy

“Mr President,

I address my colleagues to commend the men of the Barayan company. Under the initiatives of General Tiberius Barrow, the success of Haense forces, though outnumbered two to one, bested more Morsgradi brigands and their resolve was realized. This victory attests to the power and might of the Kingdom of Haense against these Nordlings. Our men, who independently fought against Morsgradi forces showed the capacity of their intent to fight. Indeed, we affirm our commitment in fighting for this great Empire and subduing all those who seek to put our collective peace and liberty asunder. 

Just a day ago, a report was published by General Tiberius detailing the incident in which Haensemen managed to emerge victorious against damning odds. The Barayan Company was effective and resolute in taking on he Nordlings in their feeble advance. I am proud to state to my colleagues of the greatness of our Haensemen. As the report starts, I also truly laud the accomplish of our Marshal, Vice Marshal, Kapitan of the Barayan Company, and our officers who have contributed to the might and success of this operation. The brave and noble soldiers who don their uniform, as all those across this Empire, should be owed nothing short of our gratitude. Yet, it is more than just mere words, but our policies, too. It is our collective responsiblity as lawmakers and statesmen to commit our entire effort to the defense and success of the soldiers who sacrifice their lives everyday for our prosperity. I commend this statement for the record and praise the great constituency that I have had the honor to represent in the past sixteen years. May the blessings of God and our entire admiration for General Tiberius, the Barayan Company, and the soldiers of the Brotherhood of Saint Karl be ever with them. May our Imperial State Army be safeguarded in perpetuity as they continue to defend the Rule of Law.” 

With unanimous consent, I seek to insert General Tiberius’ report to the record.”
he hands a sealed document to the Clerk of the Senate.

Edited by Piov

“My dear colleagues,

As the election reaches its last hours, I rise today to initiate the process of prorogation, concluding one of the most productive sessions of this Imperial Senate. Together, we swiftly convened to confirm the new Secretary of Intelligence, Sir Frederick Armas KHE. We commend his great accomplishment and wish him well in his endeavors to serve and protect the Imperium. In our legislative agenda, this session passed an insurmountable number of legislation from the Public Records Act which enshrines the work we do as transparent and accountable to public view to the Treason and Sedition Act which safeguards and toughens our response to crime in the wake of the Chelovek bombing of Varoche Hall. We also passed comprehensive protectionist legislation against foreign drug commodities and created positions for a growing senatorial staff. 

In my own personal reflections, I wish to use this time to thank my constituents from the great Kingdom of Haense, whose trust and confidence in me to represent them here over the last sixteen years has been unceasing. I will not shirk my responsibility and I pledge my continued resolve to work on behalf of all my constituents back home and with you, my honorable colleagues, as we better our efforts to sow together the fabric of our national tapestry.

Before transmitting the writ of prorogation to the Crown, I move with unanimous consent to resubmit the revised draft of the National Language Act for assent.”

@ARCHITECUS

„Bill assented to and session prorogued.“ The Emperor does declare from a speeding carriage to Curon.