Safety Team

Telanir

As someone on the Safety Team I want to make it clear that I absolutely, without reservation, agree with Telanir and his decision to end the ‘Safety Team’. I joined the safety team because I am very unknown, unbiased, and have experience with the things the community was suffering from at the time, and probably still does. I came on board to stop predatory actions, sexual harassment, and other dangerous activities that actively harm community members. I never wanted the team to have power, nor was it meant to as Telanir stated.

What I envisioned for the team was it being the friendly, open, and honest voice that could reach out to each and everyone of you, as well as being there when you needed someone to reach out to. We weren’t meant to be mods and the mis-characterization, overstepping of our bounds, and lack of any agreed upon document is the reason for the teams failure, not Telanir or any communication.

To this day I think the lack of defined rules, channels, and community based definitions are a failure of the rule-system and the staff team. Defining and setting up more effective and personal measures to report violations such as discrimination, doxxing, sexual harassment, and harassment in general in a public setting are still something that will plague the community until it is addressed in one manner or another. The team was supposed to be there as trusted members, figures if you will, that acted professionally towards everyone and could communicate with each other, staff, the respondent, and the claimant.

In short, I tried my best but other members on the team wanted far more than just a group of people who cared, wanted to make the difference, and were able to listen to all sides. It’s an issue in the community, staff, and very core. As sad as that is to say. I’ve been here for a while, off and on because of life, but things will change someday, I hope.

Just thought I’d put my points in before it got swept under the rug.

(PS: To clarify I actively campaigned against Draeris announcing the team, especially on a case that had nothing to do with us while Telanir was away. I do not support his actions nor did I think it was a case that was in the jurisdiction of the Safety Team, but in fact was in the jurisdiction of the Moderator team who should’ve self-policed or had admin support, not us getting involved.)

Edited by ArborGold

This is what happens when you hold so much power you turn all your admins into glorified team leaders. As much as I hated admin protocol, at least it kept admins unified on what they were doing. These days it's every Admin for themselves and tons of things have “Admin approval" from one Admin but the rest are shjt talking it behind closed doors.

Edited by CrazyBigSpiders

Who is currently handling the situations that would have initially been under the Safety Team? Did you designate anyone at all to assist with your duties on this extremely long hiatus?

30 minutes ago, Unwillingly said:

Afaik a similar effect can happen when something is screenshotted or downloaded several times over, can lose its quality the more it happens. Ntm a similar effect can be seen around the ‘start call’ and ‘search’ button as well. js

Needs more JPEG. Nm5Gg.jpg

aaah, okay i see then. Maybe then just a tip would be to grab screenshots of evidence so that they be png? @Knox if this is yours and i assume it is.

4 hours ago, Haseroth said:

aaah, okay i see then. Maybe then just a tip would be to grab screenshots of evidence so that they be png? @Knox if this is yours and i assume it is.

nah its been shared through multiple parties, even made its way into #staff-lobby if i’m correct? 

19 minutes ago, Knox said:

nah its been shared through multiple parties, even made its way into #staff-lobby if i’m correct? 

can’t call you a liar for this one

Honestly the biggest lesson here for staff to learn here is learning to come up with risk management when it comes to implementing ideas. Most of the time anyone tries to do anything they never assess the risks that could arise with their idea and because they never do that you get something like the Safety Team (which finding out the origins behind the idea makes me even mad it was completely bastardize). As far as I can tell no risks were ever considered when making this team, and I doubt any time was taken to decide what to do if this idea didn’t work out. The reason this team was conceptualized in the first place was due to the shitty handling of harassment cases on part of the staff team regarding people displaying predatory behavior to people and under aged people in general.

Please just give the person, who actually spent the time assessing the risks involved in making something like this rather than just turning it into a shitty band-aid because the forums blew up because Tythus was unable to deal with the situation and you weren’t trusted to deal with it correctly and quietly, the ability to do so.