Happy Roleplaying

Zarsies

I tried to be as succinct as possible but it’s a bit of a ramble, apologies. TL;DR thanks for all the fish, I’m outtie

9jyBiym.png

It’s been a blessing and a curse.

Lord of the Craft has been one of the few constants in my adolescent life and from the last 8+ years my playtime is easily in the thousands of hours. It has served many purposes, some constructive and some less so. First it was a creative outlet to enjoy Minecraft and build, hone my digital art skills with skinning and character art, and refine a then-nonexistent writing ability. It became a social hub, then a social replacement, then the epitome of an escapism medium. For years I lived, breathed, and slept by Lord of the Craft to avoid the slightest of stressors and worst of daunting traumas; my friends were here and they, our characters, and an endless feed of connection was all I needed. I have repeatedly been deeply embedded in player groups and staff teams and poured my time, sweat, and tears into them beyond exhaustion. My favorite pastime has sometimes been a painful labor of love and like an addiction it has often taken from me far more than it gave. But while this place (and the internet) corrupted me it also enlightened me.

I joined young and malleable and Lord of the Craft gave me my passion for writing. It enabled me to build connections I wasn’t ready for in real life. It introduced me to people and events that would shape me as a person and help me discover myself. It - and in turn you - showed me love, camaraderie, compassion, and community. I’ve been shaped by this place and its people and judging by the final product I am forever grateful. I appreciate everyone I’ve met, from old hats from the first week of Aegis (flex the gold boots) to the ever present noobs, as this whole journey has been a vital learning experience and what an experience it has been.

I feel like I could write a screenplay for a documentary on Lord of the Craft 2011-2018. I’ve seen it all, inside and out, and yet everything is both all too familiar and eerily alien. 

There’s still all the same types: the lethargic, apathetic, and jaded, the outraged and rambunctious, the supportive guides, the heinously snide, the ooey gooey cute and cuddly, the virtuous altruists, the blithe casuals, the power hungry, the empathetic and insightful, the manipulative, the skulking predators, and on and on yet they all cycle out with new faces. There are always issues with the server and its plugins. There is always nepotism and elitism. There is always PEX abuse, tribalism, cybering, DDoSing, predation, and scandal. There are always people playing to ‘win’, fulfill fantasies, or play just to play mechanical Minecraft. There is always incompetence and people who don’t care about the game or others. Friend groups are always cropping up and falling apart. Admins shuffle in and out, teams are purged and reformed and reformatted and rebranded, playerbases rise or crumble, or something blows up. Every year more happens and new people plug into this world and perpetuate cycles, not always for ill but only seldom in a better direction than before. I’ve been in nearly every seat in every situation. I’ve been both the jaded, elitist, and lethargic staff member and the cheerful, insightful, free-minded staff member. I’ve been cute and I’ve been wretchedly sour. I’ve played to win and played for drama. Helped and hurt. Led and followed. Instigated and pacified. I’m tired. Nothing is fulfilling or new here and I barely know anyone nowadays. I felt like I’ve always owed this place and stuck around as a commitment to helping better it and give people the best possible experience but the longer I held onto that the less I have been getting out of my time.

The final nail in the coffin was my realization that, albeit cliche, life is too short. I want to at least die with something to leave behind, ideally a damn good book, and Lord of the Craft saps away my passion for personal writing in a way no other hobby of mine can. I’ve dwelled on that thought since a friend’s suicide but it wasn’t until I saw that their parents wanted to see a final piece stitched together from their writing that I realized I’ve squandered so much on sitting around on LotC that I haven’t done anything for myself, only this place, and I have no money and not much satisfaction to show for it. 

I’ve taken this place far, far too seriously and burdened myself with far, far too much pressure for far, far too long. I’ve let it get in the way of much higher priorities, even ******* up a chance to get personal work published which will not happen again. LotC served its purpose and helped me when I needed it but there’s nothing left for me here anymore and it’s time to move on. I’ve got a new house, new job, and new life awaiting me and I’m ready to become a fully actualized adult; 2020 is the year. Besides, I lost the Zarsies account in 2015 and I’ve felt like an imposter since.

Vadenl. Gug’ye. Yankar. Vulahk. van’ayla. Sa’vi.

Happy roleplaying.

Spoiler

← My Discord is over there if you’d like to keep in contact.

Also I don’t **** with leaving posts, I absconded during the holidays but I figured I’d throw something up for a bit of closure, and there’s no way I could do a big list of goodbyes (yikes) and preach about my solutions to ongoing problems. Good luck with all the shenanigans.

I remember you jumping Braxis and other Oren Knights in Aegis putting spiders in their hair. Good times, be safe in your future endeavors my friend.

Shame to see you go bud. But also good for you, too many people get caught up in this ****. 

While I only really got to know you during this final tenure as Story Manager, I’ll miss ya. You were a plethora of knowledge and could always be relied on for some witty input or banter.  

Safe travels, and you better come back to share your book with us. 

I literally love you so much please sign my chest

always idolized your writing and the tone you capture that is so difficult to replicate in my own, and inspired me to find my own style to write to get the reader to feel something. 

Thank you for your writing and your undeniable impact on the server, I was saddened when you were LM and I saw you were so much swamped I wondered how you weren’t burnt out earlier.

Your passion and talent are undeniable, have a good one man.

Always loved you, Zarsies ❤️ You’ve always been fun to RP with on this server, even though we didn’t get to RP together a lot

Just the other day I was wondering where my two favorite roleplayers (Benbo and Zarsies) had gone off to after seeing so many old faces come back.

I’ll never forget the fun I had roleplay fighting with you as your harbinger and carry that as one of my fondest memories of LOTC to this day. I hope that book turns out well and I really hope you do find a way to make time and come back.

For now (I hope), take care of yourself 

Good boy Zarsies, have a wonderful time and I welcome you to reality!

Always looked up to you and thought you were a really nice dude. You're one of the few people who gave me a chance. 

I wish nothing but success and the best for you. 

I also wish for a signed copy of that New York times best seller ? xo