[✓] [World Lore] - Magnetus

[World Lore] - [Magnetus]

cBs2yhumSSVRCczHFWY-pvQyBWFZU4wDIYw0lKndfYiBZ4VmC8CO-Yl7EKqo2rSPJRqdC3c8a5Jj6KN1B1FYcdDB8WQhIQhkKbBgl6k35-Rfh-ANKZ8BnEdmEnRXRH-RkcaLwz9W

A clump of Magnetite.

Material Name and Description (Raw Form):

Magnetus ore can be found deep underground within mountain ranges in small clumps, oftentimes found within larger pockets of other ore. The ore is grey, semi-metallic, and has a high density. A miner can identify this ore by observing the faint magnetic properties it has - the ore will lightly tug on a pickaxe held near it.

Applications (Raw Form):

The application potential of this material are as broad as its magnetic properties allow.

Redlines (Raw Form):

• The ‘tug’ from raw Magnetus is never strong enough to wrench a weapon or tool free from someone’s grip.

Harvesting Process:

Mining Magnetus ore is similar to mining any other ore, all that is necessary is a pickaxe and a steady hand.

Harvesting Redlines:

• Magnetus is mined in a manner similar to any other ore. The magnetic effect that the ore possesses may prove somewhat troublesome to a miner trying to aim their pickaxe’s strikes: this is negligible for the most part.

Material Name and Description (Refined Form):

Once refined, Magnetus can be used for the creation of many tools, devices, and a plethora of knick-knacks. Refined Magnetus will retain its magnetic properties, however, this magnetism will still be faint. Refined Magnetus has also found its use in intricate prison cells and defense mechanisms set within the abodes of a few lords and lieges.

Applications (Refined Form):

Refined Magnetus may be used to line the interiors of sword sheaths or crossbow grooves to better hold swords or bolts respectively. If present in vast quantities, refined Magnetus can be used for the construction of pillars or other architectural features, and these will act as defensive measures against potential intruders and would-be assassins. The presence of magic has strangely been noted to disrupt the magnetism shown by Magnetus, albeit for a short amount of time.

Redlines (Refined Form):

• Sheaths and crossbow grooves lined with refined Magnetus will hold swords or bolts better, however, being upside will still result in the held object falling.
  • Pillars (or other structures) built from refined Magnetus will work as massive metal detectors, tugging on both visible and hidden weapons.
  • Pillars (or other structures) display noticeable magnetism, however, they cannot wrench weapons free from someone.
  • Pillars (or other large structures) work in a three block radius.
  • Magnetus-made armor cannot reasonably be worn by Descendents as it would be too heavy to wear.
  • If spells are used near objects or structures made of Magnetus, they will suddenly lose their magnetism. T1-T3 spells will disrupt the magnetic properties of refined Magnetus found within sheathes, crossbows, or any other handheld object; T4-T5 spells will disrupt the magnetism displayed by larger objects such as pillars and bars.

Refining Technique (Refined Form):

Because melting Magnetus will result in a complete loss of its magnetic properties, smiths have instead chosen to slowly heating the metal enough to where it would be malleable enough to shape - without risking the loss of its magnetism.

Refining Redlines:

• As long as a player doesn’t melt down Magnetus ore completely and instead heats it up to the point where the metal is malleable (consider the heat needed to make steel malleable), the Magnetus will retain its magnetic properties even after being shaped.

Purpose (OOC)

The overall purpose of this lore is to reformat the ore/metal to fit the current format for material lore. Previously, redstone acted as a counter or an ‘off-switch’ for this metal. Due to the lack of redstone in the RP setting - magic seemed to be a better replacement.

Spoiler

Suggestions as to what more could be added would be greatly appreciated!

I guess this more comes as confusion as to how magnetus works. I’ve done a good hunk of research on lodestones (naturally magnetically

charged hunks of iron ore) and I am a bit confused.

How is magnetus ore refined, and not somehow loose its charge? I assume the ore would be /melted down/ in temperatures above that acceptable for its refined state to maintain its magnetic charge, yet somehow retain its magnetic charge? How is this metal refined if not in that method? Is Magnetus ferromagnetic, ferrimagnetic or diamagnetic? How strong is this metal? Is it  very rigid? malleable? ductile? How magnetic is this metal? If it pulls at something than to what extent- would it yank something out of a sheath? Would having a magnetus sheathe undo the effects of a magnetus pillar pulling at the weapon?

55 minutes ago, Quavinir_Twiceborn said:

I guess this more comes as confusion as to how magnetus works. I’ve done a good hunk of research on lodestones (naturally magnetically

How is magnetus ore refined, and not somehow loose its charge? I assume the ore would be /melted down/ in temperatures above that acceptable for its refined state to maintain its magnetic charge, yet somehow retain its magnetic charge? How is this metal refined if not in that method? Is Magnetus ferromagnetic, ferrimagnetic or diamagnetic? How strong is this metal? Is it  very rigid? malleable? ductile? How magnetic is this metal? If it pulls at something than to what extent- would it yank something out of a sheath? Would having a magnetus sheathe undo the effects of a magnetus pillar pulling at the weapon?

i don’t particularly like this piece of lore but jesus what a pedantic bunch of questions

47 minutes ago, Banner said:

i don’t particularly like this piece of lore but jesus what a pedantic bunch of questions

it aint easy bein cheesy 

1 hour ago, Quavinir_Twiceborn said:

some of the questions here are answered in the lore

2 hours ago, Riftblade said:

Pillars (or other structures) display noticeable magnetism, however, they cannot wrench weapons free from someone.

2 hours ago, Riftblade said:

Because melting Magnetus will result in a complete loss of its magnetic properties, smiths have instead chosen to slowly heating the metal enough to where it would be malleable enough to shape - without risking the loss of its magnetism.

others such as “rigidity/strength/malleability/ductileness” i can see edited, alongside effects of magnetus-magnetus interactions and defining the specific type of magnetism. I’ll be sure they’re brought up and the changes are made.

The editor smiles

Give me some rift, thx

Thank you for submitting your piece! Your piece is now under review and a reply will be given once a verdict has been reached.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon. Please note that if this is playable lore, such as a magic or CA, you will need to write a guide for this piece. You will be contacted regarding the guide (or implementation if it isn’t needed) shortly.