Administration Returning to its Roots

Braxis

3fecdb0efe796cd4dfdadc569f40a11a.png

EDIT: plz upvote my low quality meme

Shouldn’t Tythus be the king? 
And is Dewper the banned player admin? I always saw Charles The Bald as a banned player admin myself.

1 minute ago, SoulReapingWolf said:

Shouldn’t Tythus be the king? 
And is Dewper the banned player admin? I always saw Charles The Bald as a banned player admin myself.

I didn’t put any of the admins in any particular order, plus, dewper is controlling it all really ?

Don’t Give Spoon rep, give me rep.

This is not roots. It has never been like this until recently. It did not work as the Admin team stagnates and lacks any sort of oversight, but good luck all the same. You guys will need it. You can’t hide behind Telanir anymore. 

2 hours ago, Harold said:

This is not roots. It has never been like this until recently. It did not work as the Admin team stagnates and lacks any sort of oversight, but good luck all the same. You guys will need it. You can’t hide behind Telanir anymore. 

Somewhat inclined to agree with Mr.H

Returning to its roots? You guys better not be bringing back pedophiles..

This is swell but it depends a lot on something that has been an (unaddressed) issue.

Admin activity.

3/5 Admins definitely don’t meet the activity expectations for any kind of staff team. We can’t pretend this isn’t a problem – with the staff merge, you have made Admins assume a far more central role. With the removal of team directors, you’ve placed far fewer individuals over far larger teams. This is a dubious decision, but it becomes unworkable when Admins aren't around to fulfill those roles in their entirety.

Obviously, Admins, like other people have real life responsibilities they need to prioritise, and sometimes they need to take some time off the server. That’s perfectly understandable.

But like for f*ck sake, there are reasonable hiatuses and unreasonable ones, fellas.

This return to our roots is great and all, but it won’t count for jack if we maintain these levels of hiatuses, absences and inactivities. If you can’t commit the time to fulfill the responsibilities you voluntarily undertook, responsibilities that are integral to the function of this server, then there is no shame in just passing it off. Except for the Dev Team, there are countless passionate, competent and more available people ready to fulfill your position. There is shame in holding onto a position you can’t dedicate the time too.

I can’t stress how important this is, and it’s something you guys really, really, really need to take to heart. I’ll end this by quoting from your own Staff Conduct:

“If you must leave for an extended period, then we must set aside your team rank.”

@Braxis @Telanir @Llir @LotsOfMuffins @VonAulus

44 minutes ago, Xarkly said:

This is swell but it depends a lot on something that has been an (unaddressed) issue.

Admin activity.

3/5 Admins definitely don’t meet the activity expectations for any kind of staff team. We can’t pretend this isn’t a problem – with the staff merge, you have made Admins assume a far more central role. With the removal of team directors, you’ve placed far fewer individuals over far larger teams. This is a dubious decision, but it becomes unworkable when Admins aren't around to fulfill those roles in their entirety.

Obviously, Admins, like other people have real life responsibilities they need to prioritise, and sometimes they need to take some time off the server. That’s perfectly understandable.

But like for f*ck sake, there are reasonable hiatuses and unreasonable ones, fellas.

This return to our roots is great and all, but it won’t count for jack if we maintain these levels of hiatuses, absences and inactivities. If you can’t commit the time to fulfill the responsibilities you voluntarily undertook, responsibilities that are integral to the function of this server, then there is no shame in just passing it off. Except for the Dev Team, there are countless passionate, competent and more available people ready to fulfill your position. There is shame in holding onto a position you can’t dedicate the time too.

I can’t stress how important this is, and it’s something you guys really, really, really need to take to heart. I’ll end this by quoting from your own Staff Conduct:

“If you must leave for an extended period, then we must set aside your team rank.”

@Braxis @Telanir @Llir @LotsOfMuffins @VonAulus

I agree with Xarkly.

Reinstate the old roles in the Admin team, reinstate team directors, and shrink the Admin team back to its original “roots” size. Bring power back to the community and away from the Admins for team decisions and focus, by enabling them to do the things they want to do to help the community instead of shoehorning your own ideas through.

Do not think for one minute, that by toppling Telanir that we’ve forgotten about the lot of you.

Always remember, if Telanir can be ousted – so can you.

On 2/4/2020 at 1:07 PM, Xarkly said:

This

You forgot to tag Flam in your post!

If you are listing me among the inactive admins I understand, but I would like to clarify that as I have been a contributing member of the staff since 2012, the only way I can maintain my sanity and irl obligations is consistent healthy communicated breaks from LotC. By far the largest issue I have is substandard communication when it does come to hiatuses, but as my activity stands—I spend more than 3/5ths of a year on this server and the time that I have off I still make sure to be active in admin and management channels if anything urgent happens. My latest hiatus was not acceptable by my own standards, especially the ones I outlined in the conduct—and I will fix that.

I think my friends on the team should do the same thing and take healthy planned breaks from LotC. I think that experienced and loyal administrators to the server are as valuable to the team as new blood—or else we’d just rotate positions like clockwork and never maintain a consistent direction. Being on for hours every day without fail is step #1 to burning out.

Final point I want to make is about your comment on team directors—I don’t believe we ever chose to have “team leads”, just that slowly admins beginning 2012 just receded into the background and instead of working closely with the community chose to take a backseat and let team directors do all the heavy lifting. This caused a very backwards and distant administration which is definitely alleviated when you collapse some of the massive hierarchy. It doesn’t fix all the problems. But it certainly helps. The old Team Director position was a symbol and symptom of a horribly bureaucratic system which did not prioritize community wishes (pretty much every director would just pull it into any which way they wanted and then resign a few months down the line). We can do better but receding into that mess is a bad idea.

1 hour ago, Telanir said:

Final point I want to make is about your comment on team directors—I don’t believe we ever chose to have “team leads”, just that slowly admins beginning 2012 just receded into the background and instead of working closely with the community chose to take a backseat and let team directors do all the heavy lifting. This caused a very backwards and distant administration which is definitely alleviated when you collapse some of the massive hierarchy. It doesn’t fix all the problems. But it certainly helps. The old Team Director position was a symbol and symptom of a horribly bureaucratic system which did not prioritize community wishes (pretty much every director would just pull it into any which way they wanted and then resign a few months down the line). We can do better but receding into that mess is a bad idea.

You could initiate a program similar to “team directors” by having elected “Admin understudies” for the groups they watch. If an admin goes on hiatus or break for an extended period of time, the elected understudy fills their place until they can return. This can make it so replies/questions/events, ext can proceed as normal without delay.

The only thing that’ll have to be done is the admin making a paper-trail of work/ideas they have so that the individual taking their place during the admin hiatus doesn’t **** up.

44 minutes ago, Jenny_Bobbs said:

You could initiate a program similar to “team directors” by having elected “Admin understudies” for the groups they watch. If an admin goes on hiatus or break for an extended period of time, the elected understudy fills their place until they can return. This can make it so replies/questions/events, ext can proceed as normal without delay.

The only thing that’ll have to be done is the admin making a paper-trail of work/ideas they have so that the individual taking their place during the admin hiatus doesn’t **** up.

I usually call these “admin understudies” people Managers but yeah, that is the idea.