Sign in to follow this  
Imperial_Office_of_Civil_Affairs

Tenth Session of the Imperial Senate, 1754-1756

“I nominate myself for the position of President Pro Tempore.”

Said Senator Vivaca Rutledge

Edited by PapiZapii

The Senior Senator from Helena rises.

“My fellow Senators of the Empire,

With the departure of Sir Terrence May, I wanted to announce that I am nominating myself for the position of President Pro Tempore. We are entering a new age of Senatorial politics. It is not upon the politicians that have set here for years to lead us during these times, but for a new Senator, one who represents this movement.”

The Senior Senator from Helena seats himself again.

Senator Vivaca Rutledge rises...

”I believe I am the woman for the job, fellow Senators. I have the most experience in this chamber, apart from my right honourable friend the Senior Senator from Haense. If I’m nominated by my colleagues, I will make sure the people of our Orenian empire, from Helena, Haense, Kaedrin and Curon feel connected to our sacred institution. I’m not in it for the power, I’m not rich and I grew up far away from the circus of Helena. Our duty is to hold the executive to account, to create laws for our great empire and to make sure each and every province feels the effects, not just Helena. I represent a constituency on the borders to the heart of the AIS, I represent a constituency that feels isolated from Helena. The future isn’t just Helena, the Empire isn’t just Helena, it’s the people of each and every one of our provinces. We aren’t just Helenites, Haenseni, Kaedreni and Curonians, we are Orenians and without the people, the Empire would not exist.  Friends, we face into an age of opportunity, the past is for those who seek divide and the future is for those of us to seek to unite. So the old Oren can have yesterday, tomorrow belongs to the people.”

“As President Pro Tempore, I will make sure the people of every single province feel connected to our institutions, so I ask of you, honourable senators, support my bid and we will make the people of every province of our empire proud, thank you!”

Vivaca Rutledge sits down, finishing her long speech!

Edited by PapiZapii

The Junior Senator from Haense strokes his beard in a thoughtful manner, his gaze shifting between Senators Rutledge and Christiansen. 

Finally, the aging statesman chooses to speak up, standing and moving over to a nearby podium. 

“I would like to second the nomination of the Senior Senator from Helena, and announce my intention to cast my vote in favor of him to succeed Sir Terrence in this contest. 

Although his time the halls of the Imperial Senate has been short, he has demonstrated a remarkable acumen for legislative affairs and an equally powerful drive to see this body succeed.

He has the utmost respect for the institution of the senate and an unquestionable understanding of parliamentary procedure. I think that his youth and energy would no doubt help bolster the integrity of this body and see it into a bright new era.“

And with that, Sir Konrad returns to his seat. 

Senator Pruvia votes for Lauritz.

Senator May rises to declare his vote. 

“I cast my vote, on behalf of a new wave of senators who will rekindle our energy and optimism, for Lauritz Christiansen.” 

“I withdraw my nomination in favour of Senator Lauritz. I am disappointed that I did not muster enough support in the chamber but it is clearly the wishes of the house that Lauritz becomes President. Thank you.”

Senator Rutledge concludes 

Edited by PapiZapii

President pro tempore May takes up the lectern and addresses the chamber after the end of the vote.

“With the bills now having passed and the election of the next President pro tempore now concluded, I commend all passed legislation to the Crown and petition for prorogation.” 

@ARCHITECUS

The Emperor reviews the end of session from his front study, kitted fully in military costume.

“After discussion with the office in question, the Crown does give assent to the Rivaini Act of 1756.

The Crown does give eager assent to the Paddington Act of 1756.

When the ages of participation are adjusted to nine through seventeen years, the Crown will give full assent to the Imperial Exchange Program of 1754.

All issues concluded, the Crown hereby declares this tenth session prorogued.”

At that, Peter the Third sets sails for adventure, wig billowing in the ocean wind.