A Direction For Roleplay

Telanir

Glad you guys actually are focussing on role-play after the longest time, on a role-play server, so it’s a pleasant thing to see on the forums.

Few things:

• Roleplay that takes from a player has to contribute character development/story building – I don’t think this very well written or a fair expectation. Whilst I very, very much agree that role-play that aims to take from another person (whether it be the experience playing or a physical item(s) on them) I think that the requisite of ‘character development and story building’ is very vague and a bit much to be expected every single instance. On top of that, a story can only be built and a character developed with the co-operation of both parties, and people don’t take too kindly to being put into a losing position. Over all: glad you’re focussing on low effort ‘me kill u’ rp, just don’t over police it because it’s still a two way street.
  • Moderators won’t ban for it unless it’s reported – What exactly do you mean? Do you mean it won’t be acted on unless a report of an action is actively disrupting the player reporting it? I’m just forseeing possible worst case abuse of this in the future, so would like a clarification before we dive down the rabbit hole.
  • You’re offering a grace period to avoid bans right now – what exactly are you getting at here? Are the bans for this going to be lengthy, serious offences? Whilst I don’t think you should treat purposefully poor roleplay lightly, I also don’t think you should be banning people any more than a week for it, and that’s for repeat offenders. I hope you utilise things like 1 – 3 day bans. Shorter bans inconvenience people rather than dishearten them, and actually convince them to improve in their lacking field.
  • 72 hour response time – actually stick to a time for once, please, especially with your whole ‘new leaf’ thing. Roleplay reports spiral out of control the longer they are left and become more and more troublesome to solve, especially with how lazy moderators have proven to be when it comes to checking logs.

Overall – very happy you are trying to promote better roleplay! Just don’t want it to turn into ‘conflict bad !!’.

Hail

There won’t ever be a way to define roleplay into a neatly explained package as the permutations involved in every unique situation would go on into the infinite of possibility. 

Common sense and co-operative roleplay was always championed in the past, something the newer generation of LOTC must learn once more it seems.

*stabs elf with great strength through the skull, killing them instantly*

wait so my *kills everyone emotes are not allowed? damn...

Just now, pkdon said:

Sorry, you can’t dodge in SOMEWAY

How in the world do you decide that good roleplay is preferably in present tense? Of all the things to get persnickety about... 

1 minute ago, pkdon said:

Unfortunately