A Direction For Roleplay

Telanir

smh i cant even Vibe anymore

It’s pretty fine all-in-all.

I don’t think this was a needed update but it’s not necessarily a bad addition. One thing I would note is what you define as best practice.

More and fancier words doesn’t necessarily equate to a better emote. 

How am i going to tell the houzi they cant throw poop at people. Madness i say, madness

all memes aside i think this is a fine update. maybe not particularly needed, but it will at least help give a good base for RP

6 minutes ago, Llir said:

*stabs elf with great strength through the skull, killing them instantly*

*Dodge with great amount of speed, that blade just disappears into air* 

1 minute ago, rukio said:

cant wait to cop a million warnings x3

There will be a grace-period of two weeks for players to get adjusted!

I think this is a step in the right direction, and I agree with a lot of what Harrison said. Hoping for continued transparency as players learn how to give and take and create fun RP for each other.

11 minutes ago, Gemini said:

There will be a grace-period of two weeks for players to get adjusted!

there is nothing to get adjusted to, its the exact same as before just reiterated to people who have forgotten

they’re saying that y ou guys will be way too strict and just encourage 10000 reports a day and warn / ban people over and over because their roleplay isnt up to your personal standard 

not flaming, conveying the original point of the post that u missed

3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

there is nothing to get adjusted to, its the exact same as before just reiterated to people who have forgotten

they’re saying that y ou guys will be way too strict and just encourage 10000 reports a day and warn / ban people over and over because their roleplay isnt up to your personal standard 

Thank you, Harrison. I’m bad with words.

2 minutes ago, Harrison said:

If there is any confusion to this post, we have the Roleplay quality standards that go into more detail. Plus, Moderators are always able to answer any questions anyone might have.  

3 minutes ago, Harrison said:

We of course wont be too strict and common sense is added to every case we act on! 
When role-play isn’t up to our personal standards there is nothing we do. When it breaks the server rules, it is our duty to stop it and guide the players involved to follow the right path. 

If a player X has broken rules earlier and is fully aware of all the rules but still decides to act in an ill-manner we are there to stop it

27 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Glad you guys actually are focussing on role-play after the longest time, on a role-play server, so it’s a pleasant thing to see on the forums.

Few things:

• Roleplay that takes from a player has to contribute character development/story building – I don’t think this very well written or a fair expectation. Whilst I very, very much agree that role-play that aims to take from another person (whether it be the experience playing or a physical item(s) on them) I think that the requisite of ‘character development and story building’ is very vague and a bit much to be expected every single instance. On top of that, a story can only be built and a character developed with the co-operation of both parties, and people don’t take too kindly to being put into a losing position. Over all: glad you’re focussing on low effort ‘me kill u’ rp, just don’t over police it because it’s still a two way street.
  • Moderators won’t ban for it unless it’s reported – What exactly do you mean? Do you mean it won’t be acted on unless a report of an action is actively disrupting the player reporting it? I’m just forseeing possible worst case abuse of this in the future, so would like a clarification before we dive down the rabbit hole.
  • You’re offering a grace period to avoid bans right now – what exactly are you getting at here? Are the bans for this going to be lengthy, serious offences? Whilst I don’t think you should treat purposefully poor roleplay lightly, I also don’t think you should be banning people any more than a week for it, and that’s for repeat offenders. I hope you utilise things like 1 – 3 day bans. Shorter bans inconvenience people rather than dishearten them, and actually convince them to improve in their lacking field.
  • 72 hour response time – actually stick to a time for once, please, especially with your whole ‘new shtick’ thing. Roleplay reports spiral out of control the longer they are left and become more and more troublesome to solve, especially with how lazy moderators have proven to be when it comes to checking logs.

Overall – very happy you are trying to promote better roleplay! Just don’t want it to turn into ‘conflict bad !!’.

1. I agree, it over-policing it will just make people sour and uninterested in cooperating. It’s a losing battle.
  2. Worst case scenario I think is when staff get too involved and start making judgements on your behalf. What we’re trying instead is a method where there is far more certainty when players would like us to take action versus when they’re not really bothered by the situation.
  3. Two weeks to read and understand the standards that’s it really. After that then yes we’ve made it part of policy w/ these changes to apply short bans. (and obviously it escalates on repeat offences).

Thanks for the questions.

20 minutes ago, Xarkly said:

It’s pretty fine all-in-all.

I don’t think this was a needed update but it’s not necessarily a bad addition. One thing I would note is what you define as best practice.

More and fancier words doesn’t necessarily equate to a better emote. 

Yeah, I agree. I’m also personally a big fan of shorter more packed emotes which is why I included this part (last sentence).

image.png

But I’m curious that you felt it wasn’t needed. I got a different feeling from players & staff—there was some urgency for a set of standards.

1 minute ago, Tigergiri said:

If there is any confusion to this post, we have the Roleplay quality standards that go into more detail. Plus, Moderators are always able to answer any questions anyone might have.  

no once more, there isnt confusion with the post, the moderator literally didnt understand the passive aggressive form that criticism took place

on top of that, as blundermore has said, roleplaying isnt a strict ‘it has to be like this’ activity, and confining it to an exact rule guideline is just gonna make the server even worse, due to your recent ‘exactly by the book no deviations’ approach the gm team has had