[PK Post] All Good Things...

CorweenieTheJedi

Spoiler

All Good Things... Come To An End...

”I’m glad you’re here with me, Samwise Gamgee... Here at the end of all things...”

The day was peaceful. Birds chirped as they flew over the Dinkle River. The bees buzzed around pollinating the flowers. The sun shone brightly upon Brandybrook, the village that Benedict came to so long ago, seeking a place to call home.

His time was not always so peaceful.

Benedict had been through more battles and conflict than any Halfling had ought to have been in. He had repelled advancements of Uruk raiding parties in the Almenodrim alongside fearsome Oathblade warriors. He had slew great beasts from the Void that threatened Brandybrook. He had sailed the seas and fought the terrors of the undead. He had even marched straight into the Void when it threatened Arcas, alongside an army of Descendants, and once again on Grief’s fortress, where he had rallied the Weefolk to stand up and fight, the battle in which he lost his arm. His brushes with death had been severe, and many, yet he came out on top every time, hanging on to life. Quite possibly via pure stubbornness or disdain for his enemy.

No, the Halfling’s tale had not always been a peaceful one. Some would tease him, claiming that there was too much Dwarf blood in him, which would explain the impressive beard. Were that true, Benedict thanked his excess of Dwarf lineage, for it enabled him to protect those who he loved, and keep his village safe.

While in retrospective thought, he lay in his bed. He held his baby son, but he had not the energy to get out of his bed. He felt weak, tired, diminished. He knew he was facing down his last day. The door to Benedict’s room would open, and so would enter his two dearest and oldest friends, Taal and Feanor Sylvaeri. They would regard their Halfling friend with a bittersweet smile, as they too knew that today would be the day. They spoke of memories they had together, and with a healthy dose of sarcastic quips from the frail and old Halfling, they laughed together. Several people stopped by to see Benedict, and say their goodbyes. A few members of the Oathblades of Aegrothond came to pay their respects to their fellow warrior, as he had fought alongside them many times. A few tears were shed, but the time was focused on the happier moment of life, and good memories.

Benedict was pale, and his veins were darkened a significant amount. His coughing fits got more frequent and more violent. The sickness that took his father, Rollo, was well underway in doing the same to Benedict. He grew tired, and weak. He asked his two Mali friends to bring him outside, so that he may look upon the village, and Dinkle river once again. They granted his request, Taal carrying the baby son, and Feanor carrying Benedict outside. They sat on a hill near his house, looking out.

The breeze was light, the sun shone, the sounds of a serene village could be heard in the background. The trio spoke to each other. Taal made a final promise to care for Benedict’s child, as he were one of his own. Hearing that brought peace to Benedict.

He leaned on his friend, head resting on Taal’s shoulder, as he was too weak to hold it up himself at this point. He wrapped his arm around Taal’s, and rested his hand on his son.

Benedict’s breathe slowed. He commented on the beauty of the day, and rested his eyes for a moment, before looking down to his son.

”Thank you...” He said slowly, his voice exasperated.

”Thank... You...” He said even slower. With that, a long sigh...

Benedict grew still, and in the company of his two dearest friends and his son... He passed on, to whatever lay beyond...

OOC: What a freaking adventure. I came to LOTC in April of 2019, and started playing Benedict. He was a halfling in his prime, with a wicked beard. Over time, he grew to be so much more than a way to make myself feel jealous for not having as good of a beard. His story helped me learn about myself, and grow as a person. Which is pretty weird for a pixel block man, but whatever.

I want to thank everyone who contributed to his story in some way. It was because of you that playing him through his journey has been such an incredible experience. Part of the reason for PKing him is an IRL one. Very soon, I leave for Basic Training for the Canadian Military, and I wanted to conclude his story before I left, as I will be away from the server for a substantial amount of time. The story gave me such an amazing time, I felt I owed it to the little cowboy to see him off properly, and in good fashion.

Anyways, bye for now folks. It’s been a slice.

So long, and thanks for all the fish...

Pervinca Driftwood wishes that she could’ve been by Benedict’s side during his final moments...

A tear falls down her cheek. Followed by another, and then another.

“Your father has passed little one but his memory will stay with us forever. A rarity among his kin. To me, the very best of them.” Taal would speak softly to Benedict’s child, cradled in his arms. ”He rests now but will never be forgotten.”

Word quickly reached the Thain about Benedict’s death...

Micah entered the O’Connell burrow as dusk fell upon Brandybrook. He propped his shovel up against the wall, taking a moment to check there was nobody else home before going to lock the door for the first time since the passing of Rollo. Isolated from the rest of the village at long last, Micah leaned forward against the table by the fireplace, head slumped over, and began to weep. He recalled sitting across from Benedict here as he made him Deputy, wishing he had been able to see him one last time, and mourned for his friend nightlong... only heading to sleep as the sun rose again.

Ali’ere Silma would hear of the halfling’s death, he would set down the water he was holding for a moment to think He was a good one, that onebefore returning to tending his garden. Ali’ere would then plant a new flower in his garden, sighing afterwards.

Anne sets out the small kayak she used to row as a little girl, decades ago. She sits in the kayak and lets it drift for a while, crying softly as she and the vessel drift off to the sea. She holds the badge of the late Benedict Hassenfort in her hand, staring down at it. A single teardrop falls onto the badge as Anne clenches her hand into a fist. She calms herself as best she can and lies down in the kayak, staring up into the stars as she gently sobs, forcing a smile upon her expression as she holds the badge close to her heart, mere inches away from her own badge upon her collar.

Feanor Kaeronin would have watched some of the sad moments from afar, having not know him well he stayed back, though he now regrets that choice, sitting in the Kaeronin manor, Feanor would pour himself a glass of hard brandy, he would raise it “To Benedict” he says to himself as he would take a sip, a grimace on his normally plain expression

Jorvin Starbreaker did not know Benedict personally. However, upon hearing of the death of a fellow void-slayer in passing from the folk of Aegrothond, he makes a point to pour out a drink to him upon the fires of the Shrine of Dungrimm, Dwarfen God of the Dead.

Anyone, especially a halfling, who went to that hell and survived, warrants a Dwarf’s respect.