[Shelved][✓] [Creature Lore] [Strigae]

KBR

39 minutes ago, rising said:

We granted them a /better/ purpose; try and revive the Unseen who had now vanished, and now too is there more clarification on the limits of feeding etc etc. If I knew that I was brainstorming for a picture book and everyone would whinge about Skyrim vampires because of switch in the image files used to describe lore that has simply undergone some mechanical clarification. Ultimately I’d like to keep roleplaying my character as is without randomly becoming human or turning to dust but evidently that can’t happen without the ST shitting down my throat and retconning everything, or warping my lord Malythill’s idea into something that I don’t recognize.

Yet the Unseen were always meant to be figures believed to be Omnipresent, how would one notice them suddenly vanishing when a majority of strigae would never ever encounter them. And your character is not retconned, the striga are not ‘retconned’. If removed, they will simply not be present on the current continent. If you truly want to preserve the image of the strigae, what you would do is turn the lore into a creature piece accessible to the ET and disallowed to be touched by players. That is so it can stay active in the LotC canon even though its presence its minimal apart from the inclusions in Aeldin.

Your clarifications on feeding are a “buff” where the only thing holding back the horrid idea of the ‘combat’ striga are increasing the limit they can slaughter those in a situation when going berserk. The idea was that going berserk or getting caught in a battle was essentially a PK, which was how the strength was naturally compensated for such. Also the addition of the infamous Mordu sutican jumping saga of allowing falls of 20 blocks is hilarious. This will be shot down hard (hopefully by guns when they get accepted when caleb realises its the only PR move to avoid getting removed as admin). Caleb fucked around a bunch of groups and everyone is privy to that, but if you were clearly blind of the insanely pressing issues that striga had. Then I honestly don’t think this piece should be accepted just for the wellbeing of the server.

It’s sad to see that you try to defend Rhys’ lore when you were one of the main perpetrators behind breaking that motif. The Unseen were only ever omnipresent when it was convenient for you; the Heralds that came and went ultimately broke that fiction via sad story telling. I want players to get to experience what I experienced; if your so blinded by elitism that you’d prefer the lore to be neutered and left as an ET creature when there are Frogs running around being played on the server that's your opinion, it’s not one that is shared by anyone else with a reverence for the type of role-play that we want to accomodate.

“The Unseen had sown the seeds of darkness, and set out across the land, falling dormant, finding themselves unable to return to their plane. The seven creatures began to sleep, each awakening in intervals of fifty years at a time per ancient tradition, leaving the cursed elf to his relative lonesome”

Every time somebody wanted someone gone, didn’t like how they role-played, or had a general distaste for someone who had been turned they used some form of ‘I have received demands from the Unseen.’ quote to try and kill them all. The notion that the Unseen vanished altogether is the point, that the goal would then be an abstract one of seeing them return; it’s an introduction of type of factionalism that was demanded. It’s all one big straw-man; getting caught in a battle and having your head chopped off will still result in having to wait months on end for somebody else to find and revive that person. 

The mechanics of the lore were and are fine; when there was ever trouble it's because of the players who were always introduced into the community by people who wanted to bend the rules. There was never a set definition on how much someone could feed, now there is. There was always a set on strength and speed, now it’s highlighted in a red-line so brainlets can read it better. If people power-game that's the fault of the player for being an idiot, it isn’t the fault of the lore. It’s also on the people mentoring that person to show them the ropes, but your brainrott has progressed so far you’ve forgotten that you turned and taught most of the kids who are backing this piece to begin with.

But that's the end of my take. All I’d like is the freedom to play my Striga in peace; if this rectification does that then I hope it gets passed.

Edited by rising

2 hours ago, rising said:

I need to address the furries in the comments first though.

This:  https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/188841-playable-ca-vargs-accursed-werbeasts/ Don’t moan about tropes when your own lore can logically fall into the same rabbit hole; if people want to role-play a particular fantasy nishe let them. Nobody is past their time, please desist from Skyrim-Witcher werewolf botchling rp masked behind ‘oh its Mediterranean folklore’ and maybe you’ll have a leg to stand on. It’s a stupid reaction so as a member of the story team try to give some real criticism so it can be changed accordingly and modified to fit with the standard.

The entire response feels a forced and petty bite back at us and our piece because you had let yourself be insulted by critical comments, but here’s the thing Jack.

The difference that sets apart a bland trope from ours is that we diversified intensively throughout the lore and saw its conception from the bare foundation, from scratch. To say that our lore should draw heavily from one source at large and in any part is plainly unfounded and an insult borne of scorn – show me one aspect of our lore that in any way resembles “Skyrim werewolves” or “Witcher werewolves” beside skin-deep similarities and an ET creature that was already being played by ET prior to its induction and realization into canon through the lore. It’s not “masked beneath a veil of folklore”, as clever as this might’ve made you feel typing; because in reality we’ve been conceptualizing this document for over a year’s time and not only to design and write, but also scour deep into basal mythology and little-renowned legends to achieve that folkloric leg on which we stand. At least the effort was there at not being a barren and bland transcription, whereas all that was done in this rendition of yours is essentially nothing short of – forgive me my sincerity – a rip-off, though stripped of the only redeeming qualities and attributes that gave strigae their original esthetic; a uniqueness for which many people willingly gave up their classic vampire hatred to see come into fruition. I iterate: nothing of relevance was corrected (don’t argue this by referencing our lore again)  – you ripped a piece off up front, plastered it as is, and then didn’t even bother committing to this “new aesthetic” of yours beyond strewing several edgy abilities like venom fangs, Netflix drakula’s memory reading and (if the reference art were to be taken seriously) disfunctional wings. That’s not why strigae were shelved, it instead sounds like someone’s excuse to appease their l'amour massivecraft fantasies. It genuinely doesn’t serve you, and I couldn’t give less of a **** whether or not strigae were a thing. The general consensus outside of your clique is that the lore has seen its culmination, so why ruin that? To quote my close confidant, its time has passed. Give it a rest.

pretty sure I’ve heard this elsewhere..

but please desist the bland and recurrent trope of “dracula” skyrim vampires, it only brings pain unto my eyes. the lore (mostly excerpted from the original) isn’t bad per-se, but it doesn’t fix what strigae were shelved for.

To say that our lore should draw heavily from one source at large and in any part is plainly unfounded and an insult borne of scorn – show me one aspect of our lore that in any way resembles “Skyrim werewolves” or “Witcher werewolves” beside skin-deep similarities

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/188841-playable-ca-vargs-accursed-werbeasts/

None of what your post consists of was from scratch. Every culture in existence has had some version of Vampires/Werewolves, both exhibit universal tropes in popular culture too; it's naive to pretend otherwise. Everything written has been written before or inspired by something else; Blood Memories have probably been included in every piece of fiction I’ve read or played on the subject since I can remember (from VTM to Bramstoker, to Underworld etc etc). I think it’s cool, you don’t like it and I’m fine with that, but the pointless whinging cuts both ways. Your botchling babies were ripped from the Witcher, transformation and mechanical transmissions of the curse are essentially ripped from Helgraen’s ritual, people are revived in the same way too; point is that doesn’t matter. I really don’t give a ratsass how you want to spin your lycanthropy.

No one piece of lore should ever be drawn from one source I agree. What I’m insulted by is people making petty comments and shrugging it off when they’re called on it. All you do is illustrate your own horseshit because it’s easy to call something bland and whine about originality. Doesn’t make it any less annoying. It was shitposting; you have no actual criticism beyond a few vague adjectives strung together in a sentence to make you look smart. So why don’t you give it a rest? Go settle back down into whatever hole you popped out of to write your cheeky troll posts.

Edited by rising

43 minutes ago, rising said:

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/188841-playable-ca-vargs-accursed-werbeasts/

None of what your post consists of was from scratch. Every culture in existence has had some version of Vampires/Werewolves, both exhibit universal tropes in popular culture too; it's naive to pretend otherwise. Everything written has been written before or inspired by something else; Blood Memories have probably been included in every piece of fiction I’ve read or played on the subject since I can remember (from VTM to Bramstoker, to Underworld etc etc). I think it’s cool, you don’t like it and I’m fine with that, but the pointless whinging cuts both ways. Your botchling babies were ripped from the Witcher, transformation and mechanical transmissions of the curse are essentially ripped from Helgraen’s ritual, people are revived in the same way too; point is that doesn’t ******* matter, I really don’t give a ratsass how you want to spin your lycanthropy.

No one piece of lore should ever be drawn from one source I agree. But all you do is illustrate your own horseshit because it’s easy to call something bland and whine about originality. That doesn’t make it any less annoying though, so go settle back down into whatever hole you popped out of to defend your blatant shitposting and give it a rest.

Another defunct argument, Jack. You entirely misinterpret the meaning I convey for another. We essentially built our lore from the ground up (hence the “from scratch”), whereas you had a framework to do with and hardly kept true to it at that. If you wish to botch the lore for dawnguard vampires, then by all means, go for it – but then it’s hardly strigae anymore. The only notable Werbeast segment you could attribute to another franchise is the Botchling, which contradicts your initial statement (that the lore is in entirety a blatant skyrim and witcher rip-off) and in that case, I iterate that it had long been played by the ET prior to its induction and all we did was realize it into the canon through our lore. It’s nothing new.

It’s a losing fight, I again am not involved with the strigae in any manner so either use my criticism to further your work or take affront to it and retort with childish jabs. There’s no point in responding to an initially misguided retort, so I’ll leave it at that. 

You didn’t build jackshit don’t lie; you just keep ignoring the point. The only things you’ve said so far about the lore is that it’s bland, and unoriginal, that its sucks or it’s some rip-off. There’s never anything to direct to or any tangible things to change, What was tangible has been changed. We worked with the LT and changed what we were recommended to change or clarify. As easy as it is for you to sit there and insult people it’s just as easy for me to do the same. Nobody is making an [insert franchise] rip-off. It’s an example of easy it is to make a statement like that on the tiniest similarity. There isn’t any high ground here; just stop trying to defend clingy shitposting. It’s seriously tiring.

Edited by rising

34 minutes ago, rising said:

The only things you’ve said so far about the lore is that it’s bland, and unoriginal, that its sucks or it’s some rip-off.

That I said about the changes your people had conducted to the original lore, which I completely stand by because it precisely is just that. And in your baseless comparisons you repeatedly liken the variously inspired mechanics of the Werbeast to the ones made here, but that is in-fact far from the truth. You cannot excerpt almost any segment of the Werbeast and attribute it to a singular franchise (bar the aforesaid) but the references here to Netflix’s Drakula are nearly innumerous, so your comparison still falls short. This is especially profound because you yourself had been at odds with the very tropes and themes that you now stand by, again proving contradictory (refer to Mordew’s vampire serfs). Is it simply because you had a hand in this?

We shouldn’t have to argue and put into comparison two entirely different lore pieces at all and I’m hardly pleased in having to disperse your notions, but you had to stoop low by referecing another lore piece in response to what was initially a widespread consensus. This isn’t going anywhere.

This feels much like lightning magic in a way. The rewrite for that made me nervous because most forms of it are abused in any roleplay environment. That’s simply what people do, abuse any loophole they can to get an edge. I remember getting my cheeks clapped by a strigae only once and it felt very much like a halfling boxing an olog. And you want to give them MORE?! 

Changelog: 

• Striga are no longer able to fall from further distances than normal descendants without getting hurt, this was carried over from Mordu’s speed clarifications and in hindsight as pointed out by Joel did not make sense. 
  • The PK Clause has been clarified as to some it was confusing and vague, now a Striga must drink the majority of the blood of the Striga they are attempting to kills blood in order to PK them.
  • In The Ritual of Transformation it has been clarified that only descendants and half-breeds between those descendants (for example, Adunians) may become Striga, ruling out Wonks, Kha, Hou-Zi and other non-descendant creatures.
  • Venom has been nerfed: It now lasts for ONE ooc day if not cured. 
  • Clarifications on regeneration and its time-frames. 

10 hours ago, rising said:

Nobody is past their time, please desist from Skyrim-Witcher werewolf botchling rp masked behind ‘oh its Mediterranean folklore’ and maybe you’ll have a leg to stand on

You’re missing the point. And you’re twisting the very nature of the lore me and callisto wrote. We wrote a curse. You wrote a buff. 

The Krekavae is a product of a sinful union between sinless creatures meant to perverse any creation of life. Please refrain from such comparisons or keep such debates to their own respective posts. 

From my point of view this new iteration of strigae fails to fulfill the goal of the first generation; storytelling. What purpose do these creatures have? Long lost is the desire to weigh humanity, and the troubling damnation and sheer insanity one gains when one faces  the blessings of the Unseen. Nigh is the time of the power-characters and so feared strigae warrior culture. And close... So close have you brought us to vampire – werewolf twillight bullshit. I was really intrigued, even jealous when I first looked over the original strigae lore, now I’m just concerned and unimpressed. I think massivecraft is what you’re looking for buddy. 

5 hours ago, Boruto said:

That I said about the changes your people had conducted to the original lore, which I completely stand by because it precisely is just that. And in your baseless comparisons you repeatedly liken the variously inspired mechanics of the Werbeast to the ones made here, but that is in-fact far from the truth. You cannot excerpt almost any segment of the Werbeast and attribute it to a singular franchise (bar the aforesaid) but the references here to Netflix’s Drakula are nearly innumerous, so your comparison still falls short. This is especially profound because you yourself had been at odds with the very tropes and themes that you now stand by, again proving contradictory (refer to Mordew’s vampire serfs). Is it simply because you had a hand in this?

We shouldn’t have to argue and put into comparison two entirely different lore pieces at all and I’m hardly pleased in having to disperse your notions, but you had to stoop low by referecing another lore piece in response to what was initially a widespread consensus. This isn’t going anywhere.

58 minutes ago, Jentos said:

You’re missing the point. And you’re twisting the very nature of the lore me and callisto wrote. We wrote a curse. You wrote a buff. 

The Krekavae is a product of a sinful union between sinless creatures meant to perverse any creation of life. Please refrain from such comparisons or keep such debates to their own respective posts. 

From my point of view this new iteration of strigae fails to fulfill the goal of the first generation; storytelling. What purpose do these creatures have? Long lost is the desire to weigh humanity, and the troubling damnation and sheer insanity one gains when one faces  the blessings of the Unseen. Nigh is the time of the power-characters and so feared strigae warrior culture. And close... So close have you brought us to vampire – werewolf twillight bullshit. I was really intrigued, even jealous when I first looked over the original strigae lore, now I’m just concerned and unimpressed. I think massivecraft is what you’re looking for buddy. 

At this point in the debacle I’m considering this debate as just a miscommunication or language barrier because I honestly don’t know how you can read though all the RED LINES and added caveats of this resub and come to the conclusion that they’re somehow a buff ruining the lore. Your opinions aren’t consistent either; first the original lore was bland and passed it’s time and now you stand by it? Do you like the original lore or is it still just another Witcher rip off? Make up your minds on what you hate and show people some actual respect and maybe they’ll throw you a bone in-kind. All you clowns have post when after I call you out for the hypocrisy is cry about this or that franchise. Most of this bullshit is entirely just ‘skin-deep similarities’ and you know that, but that doesn’t matter. Why then should I give a rats’ass if it triggers you that your lore does the exact same thing? The entire basis for your lycanthropy is exactly like every other pop culture reference minus the botchling miscarriage erp, which is the only piece of lore in this conversation that I think would actually pass massive standards.

We shouldn’t even have to argue about tropes because we all willingly subscribe to them get our fun out of this server, I agree. Makes it all the more childish that you feel the need to whine without acknowledging your own footing. Striga lore is clarified, if it needs further clarification down the road at least KBR and the others will now have a base for real critiques that can’t be summed up as ‘I don’t like it because it reminds me of [insert franchise]‘ The post has been made, the ST have something to base their critiques and recommendations on. No monkey posting will change that; come bearing real positions and I’m the sure guys will be happy to hear you.

Edited by rising

2 hours ago, KBR said:

Changelog: 

• In The Ritual of Transformation it has been clarified that only descendants and half-breeds between those descendants (for example, Adunians) may become Striga, ruling out Wonks, Kha, Hou-Zi and other non-descendant creatures.

Hello, just coming in to ask why this is the case with Kha & Hou-zi. They’ve been confirmed to have superior souls (Like descendants). I’m just curious on lore reason for locking them out. 

(Wonks are confirmed to have lesser souls so don’t worry)

41 minutes ago, rising said:

At this point in the debacle I’m considering this debate as just a miscommunication or language barrier because I honestly don’t know how you can read though all the RED LINES and added caveats of this resub and come to the conclusion that they’re somehow a buff ruining the lore. Your opinions aren’t consistent either; first the original lore was bland and passed it’s time and now you stand by it? Do you like the original lore or is it still just another Witcher rip off? Make up your minds on what you hate and show people some actual respect and maybe they’ll throw you a bone in-kind. All you clowns have post when after I call you out for the hypocrisy is cry about this or that franchise. Most of this bullshit is entirely just ‘skin-deep similarities’ and you know that, but that doesn’t matter. Why then should I give a rats’ass if it triggers you that your lore does the exact same thing? The entire basis for your lycanthropy is exactly like every other pop culture reference minus the botchling miscarriage erp, which is the only piece of lore in this conversation that I think would actually pass massive standards.

We shouldn’t even have to argue about tropes because we all willingly subscribe to them get our fun out of this server, I agree. Makes it all the more childish that you feel the need to whine without acknowledging your own footing. Striga lore is clarified, if it needs further clarification down the road at least KBR and the others will now have a base for real critiques that can’t be summed up as ‘I don’t like it because it reminds me of [insert franchise]‘ The post has been made, the ST have something to base their critiques and recommendations on. No monkey posting will change that; come bearing real positions and I’m the sure guys will be happy to hear you.

I’m going to have to re-iterate my past position seeing as my last post was seemingly overlooked as well as an added commentary face to this clash of keyboard keys you offer me. 

- Strigae culture seemed now to be based off of combat. It was constantly repressed. 

- There are a lack of mental issues. The lore does not seem to incite enough character vs self conflict. 

- KBR informed me a while ago that should the werbeast lore be passed, he desired to encite werewolf-vampire conflict. Whether or not he has rectified such ideals is not within my knowledge. 

- I fear this strigae roleplay will degenerate into mindless court/noble vampire roleplay. Not that this is a bad thing, but that it’ll likely devolve from there. I remember devirad strigae. Nobody wants that. 

- If you doubt the originality of the lore me and Boruto concocted, I will be obliged to offer hindsight against such deranged claims in DMs. 

- fun is not tolerated in the lotc medium 

- No-where did I mention any sort of hate for the previous iteration. I only believe it should now have its rest, considering the return-home roleplay that had occured among the strigae community following a vampire holocaust infamously lead by Joel. 

- I have no problems with KBR; rather, I consider him a friend. Treat us with the same respect and it will be given. What can men do against such reckless hate?

- This 5FsaFDyFD705x76MIbGhqKm2pARHCLZS7kzVJL47

2 hours ago, Jentos said:

KBR informed me a while ago that should the werbeast lore be passed, he desired to encite werewolf-vampire conflict. Whether or not he has rectified such ideals is not within my knowledge. 

This was moreso a joke than anything. The coven of Striga generally operate very loosely together, so for a wide-scale conflict to take place there would have to be some very strong motivator. I apologize for the confusion. 

3 hours ago, Jenny_Bobbs said:

Hello, just coming in to ask why this is the case with Kha & Hou-zi. They’ve been confirmed to have superior souls (Like descendants). I’m just curious on lore reason for locking them out. 

I will discuss this with the others, but if that is the case then I imagine it will come down to a cultural standpoint on turning creatures like them rather than the lore itself preventing them. 

On 2/25/2020 at 6:25 AM, rising said:

Unfortunately the the choice that was left was let the LT rewrite the lore and run the risk of the original point being lost in the crossfire, or try addressing some of the issues people saw the first time around.

Pretty sure we were just going to shelve them if no one was going to rewrite them

without the ST shitting down my throat and retconning everything

Literally weren’t going to retcon anything either. Nothing would have been voided or anything of the sort.

if people want to role-play a particular fantasy nishe let them. Nobody is past their time, please desist from Skyrim-Witcher werewolf botchling rp masked behind ‘oh its Mediterranean folklore’ and maybe you’ll have a leg to stand on

Pretty poor arguments as well. From what I’ve read, Boroto’s lore contains a far different vibe than Striga. Just because someone wrote a “werewolf” themed lorepiece doesn’t mean they can’t have an opinion based on supernatural magic vampires.

Striga are definitely past their time. They’ve even had their ending event, so I was told. Even then, something new can always pop up. You can have vampires without Striga. You can still roleplay the niche. Just make something new and better and not OP