Tech Update: MaliRally

Llir

Greetings Crafters!

Today I will be showcasing a new plugin I recently made in collaboration with the Moderation Team, but first, a few quick updates:

• We are still working on improving server performance, including periodic crashes of our proxy server, and lingering TPS/chunk lag.
  • We know a lot of players have been unable to connect with the ‘Connection closed by remote host’ bug. Although we have been unable to pinpoint what on our end is causing the issue, we have found that using a VPN works as an interim workaround.
  • We are still fixing various bugs, such as those with creative mode and WorldEdit, which may be affecting the ability of staff to respond to your tickets.

Now, onto the fun part! I am happy to introduce our new plugin: MaliRally. This plugin acts as a hook between in-game alert bells, and your community Discord servers. The goal is to help increase immersion, and put an end to ‘meta-rallies’, which can be a pain on players, and difficult to enforce for staff. The plugin will automate an already existing practice, and remove any grey areas in the rules. To use the plugin, right click the town-bell (beacon), and then enter your alert message (you must be a member of the region to use the bell). You must remain next to the bell for the message to be sent. Here is an example of it in use:

8HXY-ec5p91Wsg1eOBlN_0oqD05JYLJr5Nt1j71O

0jhpAR6ob8EoZw_lPXFzzOJwbWZ9aC0YvQ7da8gP

5iDReBw1t8eDWoQZg-fnsjmxdFAetiDPYmlS-xJz

The plugin itself will not send a ping, but players are free to then go to the channel and @everyone, @here, or @Guard for example, to draw attention to the alert. Individual players can also right-click the channel and set ‘Notifications’ to ‘All Messages’ to get alerted anytime the bell is rung.

Two emotes are required to use a rally bell, to allow a chance to be interrupted. Normal meta-gaming rules still apply. If your character would not be able to hear the bell IRP, you can not use the alert information in-game. The alert is intended to be received in RP by people who may be offline or on another persona, but who’s character associated with the settlement would be in the city, perhaps in their home or the barracks, or people who are online in the settlement, but out of the usual shout range of the gatehouse/town bell.

That is all most players need to know, but there is some additional information for Charter Leaders down below:

• All accepted Charters may have a town bell.
  • There will be a limit of one town-bell per settlement.
  • A bell will be required for any rally messages sent to your Discord. Rallying otherwise will be considered metagaming.
  • There will be a one week grace-period from the time of this post so that you can get your bells setup. Until then, the existing 3-emote rally system will still be usable alongside the new bell system.

Now, how do you get one? Simple, just follow these steps:

1. Create a text channel in your discord for bell alerts to be sent to. Make sure everyone who needs it has permission to see it and/or send messages!
  2. Go to channel settings, then Webhooks. Click ‘Create Webhook’. 
    Note: Make sure you have permission to Manage Webhooks for the Discord server.
  3. Set the name an icon to anything you would like.
  4. Click ‘Copy’ beside the Webhook URL.
  5. Make a /modreq in-game that you would like your town-bell setup at the location you would like the bell.
    Note: Make sure it is a logical location, such a guardhouse or bell tower. 
    Note: Moderators will only accept a modreq for town bells from the Charter Leader (PRO).
  6. The Moderator will place down a beacon block should your location be suitable. This will act as your town bell. 
  7. Ask the Moderator for their Discord ID, and then PM them the Webhook URL you copied earlier.
  8. Tell the Moderator what color you would like associated with your bell (the color bar shown beside the alert, magenta in my example) from this list:
    rQL-QBRH68I8deJeRXnyVajvTnX-iuCxZrY-_bn4
  9.  The Moderator will create your bell. Give it a test once they let you know it’s ready!
  10. If you want your bell moved, the Moderator will have to delete it and recreate it. Follow steps 5-9 again. You can use the same Webhook URL.

For more information about Webhooks, you can read here. Webhooks only allow LOTC to send automated messages to the designated text-channel. It does not allow LOTC to see any messages, channels, or users in your server. The provided webhook will only be used by LOTC to send messages from this plugin for your town bell, and not for any other messages.

That’s all there is! Hope you all enjoy it!

Cheers,

Llir

Where’s my Nexus alternative, baby?!

Also first! ?

Also nice plugin idea, keen to see how it’ll work and if it’ll work well.

The ****. Just let me shout to wake the ISA snoozing in the barracks you rat.

Wasn’t the real issue that people meta-rallied a whole guard force to their exact location on roads, while being bandited?
Not sure this is really needed honestly, but it’s a neat plugin.

Just now, Aethling said:

Wasn’t the real issue that people meta-rallied a whole guard force to their exact location on roads, while being bandited?

As long as someone that IS being banditted and somehow manages to emote properly three times and signal their group/guards they should be fine to do so. If proven otherwise that the rally indeed was ‘illegal’ and emerged randomly with no emotes or proof of logs then definetly they are breaking a major-rule and they should be punished in full. 

4 minutes ago, Milenkhov said:

As long as someone that IS being banditted and somehow manages to emote properly three times and signal their group/guards they should be fine to do so. If proven otherwise that the rally indeed was ‘illegal’ and emerged randomly with no emotes or proof of logs then definetly they are breaking a major-rule and they should be punished in full. 

Now all we need is someone to answer modreqs ?

36 minutes ago, Aethling said:

Now all we need is someone to answer modreqs ?

I’m sure Braxis and the whole Moderation team are working in implementing faster responses, additions to the team should happen soon, hopefully being GMT to ease the amount of modreqs during downtime.

2 minutes ago, Haseroth said:

nexus 2.0 when ?

?

any updates on topaz nexus 2.0?

also

41 minutes ago, Haseroth said:

nexus 2.0 when ?

This formality only has to be done in response to raids, right? Other rallies are fine without the bell?

2 hours ago, Llir said:

A bell will be required for any rally messages sent to your Discord. Rallying otherwise will be considered metagaming

39 minutes ago, _Jandy_ said:

This formality only has to be done in response to raids, right? Other rallies are fine without the bell?

I am honestly not sure due to the rule I quoted above. 

2 hours ago, Milenkhov said:

hopefully being GMT

hi ?

I will clarify when home what is considered a rally.

big brother is watching