Battle of the Arts - March 2020

armajesty

Shmeep – Creative Writing
Link – https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b1gEmRwBrq7Yn6Qz4Ykkyb2cjxphnIBxXksigK97_zY/edit?usp=sharing

A Cold Gone

By Shmeepicus

Iacob walks out of his home and into the brisk morning air that greets him. He shivers as the air bites at his skin, gnawing away at whatever warmth his body still has. “Another cold day,” he whispers to himself, looking up to see the beams of orange slowly rising over the horizon. He made his way down the street, awake too early for most of the residents of the Imperial city, Helena to be up. He enjoyed getting up this early and strolling through the streets, usually making his way out of the city. A year had come and gone since his parents had passed and the coming of Spring would always be a reminder of that. He makes his way past the Bastille, marching out of the gates and across the bridge.

Iacob reached the other side, looking over at the grass that had a shimmering layer of dew covering it. He continued making his way up the hill and down the road that leads to Rubern. The faint sound of dew dripping off the leaves and hitting the road could be heard which was a soothing sound to his ears. The sun had risen over the horizon now, beaming it’s warmth onto the realm. A grey rabbit with a white spot over its eye hops down the hill to his right, bending it’s head to nibble on some grass. Iacob paid no attention to it and within a short amount of time he had arrived at the bridge. He made his way to the edge, slowly crouching down and sitting with his legs dangling over the wooden boards. The water roared by, the banks eroded as the Winter’s snow continued to melt into the river. Iacob sits there for a while, watching the sun slowly rise higher into the sky, it’s warmth becoming more comforting as the day goes on. 

The same rabbit that he had seen but a few minutes ago hops along to the water’s edge, it’s nose twitching as it leisurely makes its way along the bank. This time, Iacob watches it for a while before standing again and continuing along the path. He walks by a vacant orchard bordering the creek, wondering what fruits it would produce. Down the path he notices a patch of flowers beginning to bloom and he wonders to himself how they survived the night. Iacob thinks on the poetic nature of Oren and Urguan, as well as Al-Faiz making peace on the coming of a new season. Turning a new leaf, some would say, which is quite literally what these small, delicate flowers were doing. Poetic indeed, perhaps these treaties will be just as delicate as the flower petals which are just beginning to unfold.

Iacob makes his way back through the gates of Helena, seeing children out playing on the street. He smiles softly before continuing to make his way through the city, reminiscing on days when he too used to play out in the streets with his two brothers. He makes his way through the city towards the tavern and stops to buy a bottle of Golden Brew Beer before heading inside. He sits down at the table, opening the bottle and taking a sip. Iacob sits there for a while enjoying a meal made by the tavern cook, before slowly standing up and leaving. The square is bustling with people who are all chattering and browsing the wares of stalls that line it. The smell of fresh bread wafts through the city which indicates that the baker's long day of work was beginning.

The city had broken into a bustle, with merchants arriving all over the realm bringing goods that grow in the early Spring. The economy began to break into a full sprint again, up from the slow crawl that Winter brings. The cold slowly but surely is making way for warmer air brought up by the growing heat in the south. The trees within the city are starting to blossom with buds growing on the branches. Animals began to crawl out of their dens after taking shelter from the frigid cold and people had begun to opt for lighter clothing. Life had begun to present itself in the city once again as it always does during the warmer seasons.

Not only was Oren flourishing though, anywhere in the realm of Arcas you could find life returning to normal with people leaving their homes more often. Farmers had begun to plow their fields and plant the seeds that would bring food to the lands. New livestock had begun grazing in their pastures and the grass gradually became greener.  

Iacob’s thoughts flowed through his head much like the river that had wound its way under the bridge earlier. He picked up his ale and nodded his head to the barkeep as he made his way outside, taking a seat under one of the benches outside. He kicked his feet up onto the table and leaned backwards as he watched the activity bustle by. His eyes gleamed as he looked up towards the sun, and his lips curled into a smile as he observed the coming and going of new faces every minute. His mind was at rest as the season shifted from one that embodied cold, darkness and death to one of budding new life, warmth, and potential.

Jmeatball – Creative writing/poetry

link – https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P0728Y2C9683SiCHyDtnsxGbmNPvdwQHviy9NCqUcLs/edit?usp=sharing

Box Spring

Oh box spring, box spring

Why are you so taut

Yet so full energy

Ready to burst at a mere thought

With your endless infinite coils

Wrapping around and around

Amidst and endless series of toils

What will become of me

If I am to follow your lead

To mock your own style and make my own deeds

Oh box spring, box springs

Alone your so weak

Yet together you can hold

The fattest of cheeks

How have you been

Are you rusted and dusted

All out of steam

Laying under the bed

Alone and forgotten

Filled with dread

You’re not lost on me

I appreciate your value

And think of you with glee

What ever will I do

When you are far too old

And I need something new

Promise you’ll stay

I cannot imagine

Your going away

I thank you for your work

But my appreciation must end now

I can no longer lurk

This is goodbye

If the world were without you

We’d all die

1 minute ago, jmeatball said:

Jmeatball – Creative writing/poetry

link – https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P0728Y2C9683SiCHyDtnsxGbmNPvdwQHviy9NCqUcLs/edit?usp=sharing

Box Spring

Why are you so taut

Yet so full energy

Ready to burst at a mere thought

With your endless infinite coils

Wrapping around and around

Amidst and endless series of toils

What will become of me

If I am to follow your lead

To mock your own style and make my own deeds

Oh box spring, box springs

Alone your so weak

Yet together you can hold

The fattest of cheeks

How have you been

Are you rusted and dusted

All out of steam

Laying under the bed

Alone and forgotten

Filled with dread

You’re not lost on me

I appreciate your value

And think of you with glee

What ever will I do

When you are far too old

And I need something new

Promise you’ll stay

I cannot imagine

Your going away

I thank you for your work

But my appreciation must end now

I can no longer lurk

This is goodbye

If the world were without you

We’d all die

I withdraw my submission. ( just kidding tho )

5 hours ago, Vaughn-Nera said:

FlyingDingo78900 entering for Artwork 
Untitled822_20200331032657.png

Vq8Ww23.pnghmmmmm coin incidence

Thanks to everyone for their submissions! Voting will begin today. ❤️