Charter Reform: Opening Steps

VonAulus

Charter Policy Update

March 9th, 2020.

WorldShieldImage.png.0190a2e4eaec787ea21

Why?

After an extensive review of the activity data, it has become more than clear to the World Team that the current system has failed us. While we see a rapid uptick in the number of charters that form on Arcas, we do not see an equal uptick in activity to justify these settlements springing up. 

To put into perspective just how lopsided activity distribution currently is and has been for a long while now, of all the recorded data - sixty charters make up 15% of the server activity. With the average charter contributing .25% of the recorded data for the week.

On the other hand, fourteen nations make up 85% of the server activity. With the average nation contributing just over 6% of the data for the week. This means that despite making up roughly 18% of the total player-controlled regions, the average nation contributes 24x more activity than the average charter. After the first round of cuts after the update to 1.15, we have cut the amount of regions we are tracking down to 55 regions. Those were just charters that had under 0.02% of playtime for either of the first two activity checks. 

Now on the backend of nation and charter management, seventy-four independent groups are a lot for a team of volunteers to manage. And this is especially evident when we review how over the past couple of months the system has been neglected, mismanaged, and abused.

Steps for Arcas:

1.  The creation of new charters will be halted until the inactive charters have been cleaned up. We will be releasing a charter system with stricter requirements, along with expanding on the system with a Lore Settlement section (which Flamboyant will be posting soon).
  2. Charter tier expansion will require closer following of activity check numbers with the hope the centralization of roleplay will lead more groups to meet them. 
  3. 1% is going to be the goal, there will be incremental increases on a two week schedule moving forward. March 22nd will be the first cut off at 0.1%. April 5th will be the second with a goal of .5%. April 19th will be the third with a goal of 1% for each charter. After this has been put in place, we will be looking into Nation reform and the new charter/settlement system moving into the rest of this map and next map. Qualifying for one of the two weeks of the activity period is all that is required. 
  4. Make sure if you are a Charter Leader or Nation Leader to stay on top of announcements in the main LOTC Discord. This is where it is best to communicate with myself or other members of the Charter Team. I am going to be personally overseeing Charter Reform moving forward till we can find a suitable candidate to be the point person for policy initiatives. 

It amazes me how little the staff recognizes what the playerbase wants and needs

It’s alright guys, only a year into the map before we’re scrapping the activity system.

I like this, feel like a change was needed in the terms of charters. Hopefully the inactive ones get cleared up soon so we can have new opportunities for groups and players that would desire to try that route. 

Staff makes the server a job once again! thank you for knowing what the players want! thank you for communicating with us! thank you for lying to us at the beginning of the map on the land layout! and thank you for ignoring all feedback given multiple times! I don’t know if its ignorance or obliviousness, but get your **** together. no one asked for this, especially charters like ours who were told ours would be inside the nation tile and was not.

Edited by Drew2_dude

So is the purpose of charters strictly for achieving nation status? I understand a need to get rid of the straight up dead ones, but what about places that need a downsize rather than a straight up wipe? In my mind and perhaps I was wrong charters were a way to claim a plot of land for a group or family, sure some places want to grow into a nation but most just want a base. The rumor is also that free build won’t be a thing next map so that also brings the question of how these groups/ families will mark a spot in the world for themselves and their own personal groups role play? Also why are we reverting charters back to their original states, cities don’t just ******* poof? It ruins rp if a group has a base then they fall apart and not a single ruin stands of them, plus world editing a charter out leaves land scars and it looks terrible.

Excellent step towards putting roleplay back at the forefront of priorities. In the end, everyone will be grateful for this bravery against the status quo.

30 minutes ago, Drew2_dude said:

Staff makes the server a job once again! thank you for knowing what the players want! thank you for communicating with us! thank you for lying to us at the beginning of the map on the land layout! and thank you for ignoring all feedback given multiple times! I don’t know if its ignorance or obliviousness, but get your **** together. no one asked for this, especially charters like ours who were told ours would be inside the nation tile and was not.

I lost my charter because we were told my charter as well would be part of the nation tile. Though I lost it when I was/still unable to login to my main account which by the day I bought a new one turns out I lost my region. This was at the time apparently activity checks were brought back yet I was never informed nor did I know that their was a charter chat in the main discord server to even notify me.

A wonderful first step. +1

Wish you’d do activity in number of players rather than percents, because I can’t look into the future and tell how many players will log on this week and then magically determine how much activity I need

Glad to see these reforms pushed out. Hope we can clean up dead charters and in turn begin letting existing communities expand to allow for a wider world that is still interconnected.

hopefully this means i’ll be able to buy tiles and determine who gets land within my nation’s borders!