Sign in to follow this  
Dtrik

On the Godhood of Grimdugan

Posted (edited)

On the Godhood of Grimdugan

To the dwarven clergy I write this theory questioning the validity of worship to Grimdugan. There has yet to be a sighting of the Brathmordakin member known as Grimdugan. We acclaim to know of his existence yet when we ask for prayers to be answered by him, by our greed, does that truly enter into a god's mind for answer? If Grimdugan's aspect is that of greed and wealth, and our curse set by Iblees is that of greed and longing for wealth, does that not make the existence of Grimdugan the effect of a curse? Truly Grimdugan must either be a cloak of a dark god we give power to through prayer, the creation of Iblees to prolong our curse indefinitely, or the physical manifestation of our intense greed causing a curse to become a being. 
Grimdugan's existence stands opposed to Yemekar and the balance he stands by. If Yemekar is balance, Grimdugan is excess. To abide by one is to disagree with the other. We believe that Grimdugan is the god of Greed but we do not know of his time of creation nor is he tied to any other god in any other race's pantheon for they do not have the curse of intense greed as our's. We inheritted the worship of Grimdugan from that of our Ironborn rulers centuries ago yet we know that they were impowered by Iblees' servant Khorvad. 
This then leads me to presume if Grimdugan is excess, and Khorvad is power, what is to say that Iblees is not the leader of the corrupt dwedmar pantheon with Khorvad and Grimdugan as his aspects. 
As we have seen before, it is not hard for a godly aspect to be able to hide their true colors with masks. From this I would ask the dwedmar, we must investigate the legitimacy of Grimdugan for if he is greed and our curse is greed, why must we worship a curse. What is the founding of Grimdugan, was it gods that made him or was it our excess greed that created this god?

Dangren Starbreaker

((Those who wish to respond, please do so in writing to this for easy documentation for the clergy and to prevent nonsense tangents.))

Edited by Dtrik

Ivär Goldhand, would get word about these claims through the connections he has. With an angry response he’d sayBa’! Wot be’ dese claims? Grimdugan ‘as been a god ov da Brathmordakin da same dae Yemekar made rest ov da gods!he’d slam his fist against the tableT’ose accusatiuns ‘re ‘eretical, da validite’ ov Grimdugan es unbreakable! We da Goldhands ‘ave ‘ad Grimdugan as patreon since dae’ foken one! Tungdil Goldhand was one ov da first dweds tu walk da realms ov da descendants ‘nd be blessed by bot’ Armakak ‘nd Grimdugan. Ef ya’ kin ‘as neva’ been blessed or ‘ad t’eir prayers answered by Grimdugan et  totalle’ means ye ‘ave a bad connectiun tu da true gods ov dwedmar. By nae means da Goldhands will stand ‘nd du nut’en’ w’ile t’ese ‘eretical accusatiuns ‘re boug’t agaenst Grimdugan! Et was proven en At’era, dat Grimdugan gave a gift tu da people ov Urguan! We ‘ave seeked ‘nd found da relics ov our old dae’s ‘nd dat was mure t’an a sign tuwards dwedmar. Evere’ clan dat came tu da expeditiun ‘as found t’eir forgotten relics ‘nd dat was onle’ by da grace ov Grimdugan!he’d gruntTrue ‘erese’!he’d shout.

Norli Starbreaker puts pen to paper and writes away at his desk a ‘quick’ response to the theory:

Dangren Starbreaker, Yemekar has forged your path with many years and a long beard. Yet despite your many years of experience you make several grave errors in your theory and write with such disregard to a member of the Brathmordakin, to the extent one may find it shocking you are a wise elder of the esteemed Kornazkarumm. One must learn to show respect and reverence to our gods when theorizing their nature, yet Ogradhad’s wisdom evades you, and you speak dishonorably of a host of the Brathmordakin, Grimdugan, Lord of Greed. You will be in contact with myself and a priest of Grimdugan in private in the upcoming days to arrange your tribute to him to make amends for your dishonor to him, and do not deny Ogradhad’s wisdom again and think I shall look lightly on this insult due to our clan in common; what you have done is very serious.

-=[o]=-

However, I would only validate your belief that our faith has no foundation were I not to respond properly, so allow me to speak reason into your heart. We are the chosen people of Yemekar and he has made us with the intent of making us in his image, of this there is no doubt of. Yemekar is a craftsman and a leader, his leadership a result of creating those that he leads. For the dwedmar to be his chosen people and made in his image, we would by extension be the most naturally talented craftsmen of the descendants and be leaders among them, this I have no doubt as I doubt you do. As a devout follower of the doctrine of Yemekar’s Balance, I am sure you know better than most a dwed’s duty towards leading creation to balance, and as a Starbreaker and a golemancer I am sure you know the natural affinity of dwarves with creation better than most. Now by extension, I ask what does one need to create? Materials, to be sure, and would not the people of the Forge-Father not be entitled to the best materials for their crafts? Would it not be an immense blessing, not a curse, to have an affinity for gathering materials of great value? I think any dwed who does not actively seek to dishonor Ogradhad by denying common sense would be able to agree to such a conclusion that greed is not inherently wrong by any means, and in fact is a blessing. 

Now, one may assert that greed undoes balance, that it consumes people and leads them to wrongdoing. I deny this, and say it is not an abundance of greed but a lack of morality that leads people to undo balance and commit dishonors. It is the lack of understanding the faith, fault on either the part of the person or their teacher, that leads to dwarves committing dishonorable deeds. There have been many times where people would teach that Yemekar’s Balance and Grimdugan’s Greed are justifications for harming others without necesity, something I have long opposed and fought against in the past, and continue to this day. When I met you before you wrote this theory, I was explaining this lack of proper worship to Grimdugan and how a new order dedicated to purifying and correcting his worship was in the plans under the leadership of the Grand Prospector, Bodmer Goldhand. It seems to me if you had listened and joined the conversation you would perhaps have not the need to have posted your theory, and I condemn you lack of understanding, and implore you to do further research and partake in discussion before you make such public statements again. 

-=[o]=-

We will meet soon, Dangren Starbreaker, to discuss your apology and tribute to the true god of dwarven greed, Grimdugan. If you’ve any questions, you may seek my counsel in person. Thank you, and may Ogradhad touch your mind and grant you the wisdom to see your error.

Norli signs the response and attaches it to the end of Dangren’s paper.

Dangren would pen back to the clergy

You have stated many things but yet none actually address the subject of the validity of Grimdugan as stated within the first portion of my thesis. There is no light in which Grimdugan can be seen as a holy creation of Yemekar when Armakak is the entire aspect of mercantilism, wealth, cleverness, and the rest while Grimdugan is a corruption of Armakak, being greed, thieves, and shadows.

Also toward your cause of stating a tribute to the Brathmordakin, let it be known that of all the dwedmar who worship the Brathmordakin, I am the only who contains the holy power of the gods. I shall decide what tribute I pay toward the gods as they demand of me, not of the dwedmar who switch titles around and make positions when it suits them. When the dwedmar properly worship the gods then they shall receive gifts not bound to material wealth. Within my soul I am attached to a god, their essence flows through me. The dwedmar carry wealth with them through their days, I carry the spirit.

To reply to your statement “Now by extension, I ask what does one need to create? Materials, to be sure, and would not the people of the Forge-Father not be entitled to the best materials for their crafts? Would it not be an immense blessing, not a curse, to have an affinity for gathering materials of great value? I think any dwed who does not actively seek to dishonor Ogradhad by denying common sense would be able to agree to such a conclusion that greed is not inherently wrong by any means, and in fact is a blessing.”

You confuse the aspects of Armakak for that of Grimdugan. For you state the generation of wealth and then call it motivated by greed yet the worker forging the item does not do it for greed but to generate his own wealth for that is his job. You then state that the curse of Iblees of greed to be a blessing. Which, as I believe, would be the treadings onto true heresy. This would lead down the path of questioning, there  must only be two outcomes, Grimdugan must be a puppet of Iblees that continues the cycle of greed within the dwedmar or if Yemekar truly made Grimdugan, then Yemekar cursed the four descendant races as he created the god of greed meaning he cursed us with greed. By this I would rather assume Iblees controls Grimdugan over our creator dooming us with a curse. By the warped logic you state, you would be implying Yemekar created the curse which is why you see it as a blessing.

Finally, it is the wisdom of Ograhad in which I question the validity of Grimdugan, not by clouded sight. Why should one pray to a god of greed when one can pray to a god of enterprise. Armakak can be seen as a balance toward wealth. It is plain to see that Armakak supports mercantilism but in moderation, as long as both parties are satisfied. While Grimdugan can be seen as a tipped scale, in favor of the one who wishes for more, who takes advantage of one party so that one is satisfied. 

Dangren Starbreaker

[!] Karl Ironside prepares a pyre for the heretic.