[✗] [Alchemy] Shadow's Grasp

Nozgoth

Shadow’s Grasp

“Shadows reach out from every corner, alley-way and spot where the sun’s golden hands fail to touch. Quite the illusive tool for those low enough to seek cover in shadows.”

“One day in my lab, I fabricated a brilliant idea within my masterful mind. An idea any lesser would fail to fathom… I thought to myself - what if. What if, I could harness something similar to shadows - in a way to create a burst of smoke to quickly escape. So, I began to experiment, day after day as if I were obsessed with the topic. Eventually, I found a solution - a smoke bomb of sorts. Though it did have some detriments to the user, however - temporary coughing fits and burning of the eyes is a small price to pay for an easy getaway.”

-Notes of Saevel Venleth, Arch-Magister of The Alchemist’s Guild.

Overview

Shadow’s Grasp is a solution contained in a smash-able glass bottle. Upon throwing it, smoke will fill the area. This is a useful potion to have in one's arsenal for a fast get-away. 

Effects

Once the glass bottle is thrown down, thus exploding - it will cause black smoke to fill the area. The smoke will continue to spread out for a few moments and will fill a small room in a matter of seconds. In out-doors, the smoke is less effective at spreading out though it is still quite viable. Upon being inside the smoke, one’s eyes will begin to burn and cause everyone inside - including the user to be temporarily blinded. Usually those unexpected will be stunned, which is avoidable from the user because they are ready for it and know what will happen.

Some common side effects are clouding and burning of the eyes to all affected and also coughing fits are common for those exposed to the smoke.

Spoiler

The smoke spread has a maximum radius of 5 meters inside. It would likely be reduced to 3 meters outside due to wind and other forces at play. The smoke also lingers, and does not rise to the top, nor the bottom.

- Side effects are clouding and burning of the eyes, this must be emoted if someone is exposed to the smoke. Coughing is optional to emote.

- The maximum spread is 5 meters inside and 3 meters outside for the smoke.

- The smoke is pitch black, therefore it is unable to be seen through.

- Wearing goggles effectively stops the effects on eyes from being exposed to the smoke.

- The smoke stays in the area for 15 OOC minutes before dissipating.

- The smoke can be blown away by wind or an air evocationist quite easily.

Preparation

Spoiler

INGREDIENTS

A sugar solution of distilled water

Moderate Fire (Heat)

Weak Fire (Destruction)

Weak Fire (Darkness)

Sootblack Ink

A decoction of the herbs must be prepared, and distilled for the proper symbols. This is added to the sugar solution when it has been purified the desired amount. The water must be boiled off slowly until the solution crystalizes. This salt is then added to the Sootblack (itself a mixture in water), forming the final potion. This must be quickly capped, as the smoke will spread from the bottle quickly. If it is left open, the potion will be quickly used up and ruined.

Spoiler

DISTRIBUTION MECHANICS

The bottle will be filled with a pure black liquid unless uncapped or thrown. Shadow’s grasp can remain in the bottle for an endless amount of time before use, only beginning to dissipate into the atmosphere once it is used.

Each step takes 1 – 2 emotes.

OOC Explanation

The potion’s effects are predicated on the rapid combustion of sugar, which creates an aerosol of the ink and quickly spreads it about. The combustion is caused by the heat symbol reacting with air, while the darkness symbol causes the remainder of the smoke effect, which would likely not be present with mundane ink.

Alternative Preparation

Aqua Vitae

Moderate Air (Darkness)

Weak Air (Travel/Motion )

A decoction of the symbols must be made in water in the usual way, and this must then be distilled. This distilled solution is then allowed to crystalize. The crystals are drained and dried, and this salt is dissolved in the aqua vitae, and quickly sealed.

Spoiler

DISTRIBUTION MECHANICS

Each step takes 1 – 2 emotes.

Alternative Redlines

- This variation takes 3x the original time to spread, but may spread even if the bottle is simply uncorked.

- This variation does not have any effect on the eyes of any exposed, but does cause mild lightheadedness from alcohol fumes.

- This variation still blocks sight into and in its affected area.

OOC Explanation

This potion mainly works via semi-magical symbols, but they are propagated by the evaporation of alcohol. The moderate darkness makes up for the lessened physical presence, and the weak travel causes hastened evaporation and dispersion.

Spoiler

CITATION:

NOZway - Author and Ideas

Poke9dude - Assistant Writer

810f5a632dd4fe8bc7376e7753d0d6d3.png

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.