Technical Update

Telanir

In modern times, the game has been optimized and updated to support more players, and servers like us like to throw the most beefy expensive hardware we can possibly buy with money to get that last bit of juice out.

wut

this is not even remotely true and idk why you’re defending mojang here when it’s 100% their fault. you’ve been on the server basically its entire span, you know how the playercount has been basically the same for most of its existence but that the lag has gotten 10x worse despite a million different methods of improving performance having been tried. even just six months ago the server ran 10x better(i.e chunks actually loaded)

mojang have continually made their game run worse almost every version. why credit them for optimisation when it’s clear to anyone the opposite’s happened 

I think option 3 could work quite well if a style of map design similar to Anthos, in that each race (elves, dwarves, humans orcs) or general alliance (Aegrothond, Fenn, Urguan, and Oren, Orcs, Renalia-Gladewynn, for example) is given a zone. That way, RP isn't broken up much because the players that usually play together aren't disturbed. As for wars and PVP, perhaps you could streamline a system of point defense warzones (like has been tried historically) that can be used at any or at least most times rather than warclaims. That way you don't have 200+ people in each zone. The warzones, exploration zones, and wilderness zones could be a buffer state between the main zones, so that then people could then travel in between rp hubs or groups of ro hubs on that server, and then most rp (and thus most players) would tend to be in the city zones. Perhaps you could do it in 3 or 4 zones, so no zone would tend to have more than 100 people at once.

TLDR split the map into several zones by race or alliance, have a zone for all the roads/wilds/buffer zones, and decentralize wars and events so that everyone isn't doing the same world event or battle in the same place at the same time.

Both option B and C sound good, but honestly C is probably the best, if done right

16 minutes ago, Mirvam said:

How would option C come to play when pvp is called though?

Maybe it just won’t be called as much :), it’s a win win ngl

Option C but use bridges across bodies of water to separate zones. That way its not ass intrusive and bridges can RPly have a checkpoint so its almost as if you’ve passed through that checkpoint in rp.

6 minutes ago, ItzDragoon said:

Maybe it just won’t be called as much :), it’s a win win ngl

Bad mindset to have

Just now, MadOne said:

Bad mindset to have

(Not trying to be toxic) But having the mindset of wanting crp over pvp on a rp server is bad?

13 minutes ago, argonian said:

wut

this is not even remotely true and idk why you’re defending mojang here when it’s 100% their fault. you’ve been on the server basically its entire span, you know how the playercount has been basically the same for most of its existence but that the lag has gotten 10x worse despite a million different methods of improving performance having been tried. even just six months ago the server ran 10x better(i.e chunks actually loaded)

mojang have continually made their game run worse almost every version. why credit them for optimisation when it’s clear to anyone the opposite’s happened 

Eh, that’s a weird point to criticize. I mean yea it’s not anything as good as 1.8 lag but that’s purely because 1.8 just had less shit to do. I’m not a fan of it either but taking it out on Mojang does nothing when potentially we can do something about it.

Let's go with option C and have one server for each continent, just like Axios where you had Tahn, Asul, etc, and they were different worlds.

Just now, Telanir said:

Eh, that’s a weird point to criticize. I mean yea it’s not anything as good as 1.8 lag but that’s purely because 1.8 just had less **** to do. I’m not a fan of it either but taking it out on Mojang does nothing when potentially we can do something about it.

Well it does your own case less good if you don’t acknowledge that Mojang made the game laggier. Otherwise people will remember that the game ran much better before and blame it on LOTC devs instead. 

c please

Just now, sergisala said:

Let's go with option C and have one server for each continent, just like Axios where you had Tahn, Asul, etc, and they were different worlds.

well in axios you had almost everyone congregating on one island anyway

i suppose you will had a few dozen less on it than you would’ve otherwise, but i didn’t notice axios as having particularly better performance than vailor immediately before it or atlas immediately after

i wonder do the devs have stats on that kinda thing 

I think C is the path forward. As others have said, islands are probably the best way to make it work. I have no idea where the next map is in development, but if thats where were headed I hope it’s taken into consideration.