[Your View] The New Player and Main Discord

LotsOfMuffins

The New Player and Main Discord

CSgnQEq.png

The Dominion of Malin, Atlas

Hey, gamers. 

Over the course of the last few weeks, the Community Team has been discussing transitioning the New Player Discord (NPD) into the main LotC discord. 

I’d like to hear your guys’ thoughts. What changes should be made to the LotC discord? What channels from the NPD should not be added? What channels from the main discord should be deleted? How can the discord be better in general?

x33mRcyfCqVk5R100Wk1AB43V0A6vHHd8AvyZIJ0

What is the NPD?
If you don’t know what the NPD is, it essentially is the discord each new player gets invited to in order to help them settle into the LotC community. The differences between the two discords are basically the channels; the NPD has channels where we post the apps of new players and ping the nation/charter leaders/stewards with the apps from players possibly interested in going to their settlement, a place to post roleplay opportunities, skin requests, etc. 

Why is it transitioning?
The entirety of the NPD can be moved into the main discord by restructuring the nation/charter section and adding in the skin request channel. The roleplay opportunities channel is already moved. 

The reasoning for this move, if it were to happen, is that the difference between the NPD and main are just the channels and the intention. If the channels missing in the main were added and the new players received their own category where the focus was on them, then what’s the difference? Why have two discords when you could consolidate them into one?

The main concern I’ve heard is mixing new players in with old players. We’ve already alleviated this by separating out new and old players. When you first join the main discord now, you will have the chance to specify whether you’re a new or established player. New players are taken to their own category with nation/charter leaders/stewards and staff members, where we can answer all of their questions and help them out. They can receive roleplay opportunities, see the rules, etc., though. 

Thank you for your feedback ❤️

the new player discord should be included in the main one for sure

will generate activity and maybe make people actually use it/talk to one another for once

just means moderators need to actually do work for once (as always) and moderate the discord so it’s not a toxic or poor experience that turns newbies away

i mean i havent ever seen the lotc discords very active so having two made little sense to begin with lol

Merging the two discords seems like the correct course of action, if the intent is for new players to join into the casual playerbase over their time with-in LoTC more seemlessly, then breaking down the walls between where the new players initially reside and where the casual playerbase gathers, could play to the benefit of us all.

It’s also only adding more steps for staff in terms of splitting work across two discord servers that probably isn’t neccessary in their already-busy days, atleast i’d imagine so.

While this could help in the long run I think there are also things that need to be considered. The NPD has managed to stay mostly toxicity-free but I don’t know if it’s the same case for regular old discord. Maybe have a special section in the discord for the new players and people willing to help them?

I really miss when we had a teamspeak. It was cool to have the whole community in one server (for the most part) and be able to bounce between channels to get screamed at by exciting new groups of people.

We should add nation discord channels and VIP channels (for more sweet Tythus Ltd. revenue). Should really try to get people into our discord voice, because it makes our server look active and accessible. Also, add a channel for people to put permanent invites to their servers. Make this mandatory for anyone using the rally plugin from here on out, so we get the community connected by a central hub.

35 minutes ago, howard said:

I really miss when we had a teamspeak. It was cool to have the whole community in one server (for the most part) and be able to bounce between channels to get screamed at by exciting new groups of people.

We should add nation discord channels and VIP channels (for more sweet Tythus Ltd. revenue). Should really try to get people into our discord voice, because it makes our server look active and accessible. Also, add a channel for people to put permanent invites to their servers. Make this mandatory for anyone using the rally plugin from here on out, so we get the community connected by a central hub.

Unique idea, including a hub for discords. I’ll talk to NLs about that in our next NL meeting!

2 hours ago, SoulReapingWolf said:

While this could help in the long run I think there are also things that need to be considered. The NPD has managed to stay mostly toxicity-free but I don’t know if it’s the same case for regular old discord. Maybe have a special section in the discord for the new players and people willing to help them?

7 hours ago, LotsOfMuffins said:

The main concern I’ve heard is mixing new players in with old players. We’ve already alleviated this by separating out new and old players. When you first join the main discord now, you will have the chance to specify whether you’re a new or established player. New players are taken to their own category with nation/charter leaders/stewards and staff members, where we can answer all of their questions and help them out. They can receive roleplay opportunities, see the rules, etc., though. 

7 hours ago, LotsOfMuffins said:

Limiting help to nation/charter leaders/stewards doesn’t seem like the best idea. I for one am not usually on those positions yet I try and help new players as much as possible. Maybe bring back the discord role of helpers and have a small application for that? 

4 hours ago, SoulReapingWolf said:

Limiting help to nation/charter leaders/stewards doesn’t seem like the best idea. I for one am not usually on those positions yet I try and help new players as much as possible. Maybe bring back the discord role of helpers and have a small application for that? 

This could definitely be something to consider! (Not a feedback noted, but genuinely thanks for this idea.)

But how about the seperate Community Team games discord, is that one also going to be converted into the main one then. Because the main issue with this was the pings, however if you create like an ‘Games’ role or something and only ping those when like an CTF starts the Games discord could be converted into the main too. All the info at one spot, I think its an good idea.

1 hour ago, LucaVerheij said:

But how about the seperate Community Team games discord, is that one also going to be converted into the main one then. Because the main issue with this was the pings, however if you create like an ‘Games’ role or something and only ping those when like an CTF starts the Games discord could be converted into the main too. All the info at one spot, I think its an good idea.

I really have trouble understanding what is the problem with Pings, if you are interested in stuff regarding the LoTC community why go into a rage when you get a ping?
Sure a games role works to avoid pinging everyone for something not everyone might be interested in. But one of the things I always find a bit silly is how threads like this one for example don’t even deserve a ping. Like mate if you dislike pings so much just mute announcements or something. But not pinging reduces the amount of people that see what you are posting in announcements. 

(Evidence: The wiki announcement in which they planned to delete a ton of character pages)

Not a bad idea. Looking at it from the perspective of the charter leader group, never really saw the use in having a charter/nation PRO chat in the main lotc discord, while also having a nation leader chat in Staff discord AND the charter RO and PRO chat in the NPD. Not a bad thing to get rid of the bloat with that.

If you seperate a part of the main lotc discord into a group of channels for new players I think this could work, best not to throw the new players into the main lotc chat directly.

1 hour ago, SoulReapingWolf said:

I really have trouble understanding what is the problem with Pings, if you are interested in stuff regarding the LoTC community why go into a rage when you get a ping?
Sure a games role works to avoid pinging everyone for something not everyone might be interested in. But one of the things I always find a bit silly is how threads like this one for example don’t even deserve a ping. Like mate if you dislike pings so much just mute announcements or something. But not pinging reduces the amount of people that see what you are posting in announcements. 

(Evidence: The wiki announcement in which they planned to delete a ton of character pages)

Yeah, well i also dont mind pings, I eman they are part of the game. But some people do not like it te recieve an bunch of pings so I was just giving an idea on an solution everyone can be happy with ♥

On 3/26/2020 at 7:55 AM, LucaVerheij said:

Yeah, it most likely will, exactly as you said it. There’d be a reaction role in #role-request. 

On 3/26/2020 at 10:08 AM, Luminaire said:

If you seperate a part of the main lotc discord into a group of channels for new players I think this could work, best not to throw the new players into the main lotc chat directly.

Yup!

I feel like this would make a lot of the issues with syncing people’s accounts (which I had a lot of when I returned, teamspeak was a mess but I have nostalgia for it). Also would encourage more players to actually talk to new ones without having to be in an extra server.