[Completed]No Place on LOTC - A Critique on the Current State of Villainy

CrocsGuy

agree

((pvp

is one of the most irritating lines because it is an “easy solution” to someone who may put significant effort into their roleplay and the preparation of this event. 
People can arm up with their best weapon, their best armor and their cool CA to get fucked by someone whos better at clicks. There’s a place for clicks, but not at all in that way. Oppositely, you can approach the conflict with none of these things, but with extremely strong roleplay in your pocket, and still get shut down because you might appear like “some goon” or because the person is lazy, spiteful, or doesnt wish to deal with conflict.

It’s painful to say how many times I’ve seen this used personally, and how many roleplayers I know who utilize lore just to be shut down. I low key have been pilled into CAs to opt into not being inclined to pvp but theres so many problems its just idealistic.

Hope something can be done about it sometime. Though I think its both a problem culturally with OOC bickering, targetting, petty rivalries and the like, theres things functionally that can be done on the server i believe. This has been a problem for a long time and its unfortunate theres not much that can be done about it

I tend to think I’ve been doing a decent enough job. A few people within 1 group in particular, that I will not mention as it is not my intent right now to start a fight OOCly in this wonderful post, think otherwise. My villainy is not aimed at them however, and I urge those who know this is aimed at them to leave this little post of mine alone. However...

If you’re doing villainy, get a target audience. If you and your group enjoy it, as well as the target audience, then you have succeeded as a villain. Act mostly against people you’re at that level of friendliness with where they know you aren’t OOCly motivated behind your actions, and won’t be toxic with or against. I think random banditry and killings are lame. But a lot of people seem to misplace “killing” with “random killing.” Killing and death itself is a valid part of RP and shouldn’t be shunned at base level. Example being:

My group of lads, have targets. Not a specific target list or anything like that, but criteria. RPly:

1> Are they a voidal mage?

2> Do they claim the influences of old?

3> Are they respectful?

To be killed by my lads, the answers must be yes, yes, and no, in that order. “The influences of old” imply voidal mages who, in the disappearance of super old characters who shaped lotc as it is, sought to take on power they haven’t earned. Example being, let’s take the character Sarrion and the enchantry. Sarrion builds a group, in which most voidal mages adhere to and follow. Sarrion, having fought countless demons and beasts and been through countless experiences, has earned the right to do this. Now Sarrion’s player opts to leave the server. All 30 of his mages, leaderless, opt to split apart through the realm and begin their own groups and lead their own things, when all of them have just mastered a few magics and yet lack experience. Sarrion would not be a target to kill, but those mages are.

In addition to RP criteria, I view OOC criteria equally as important – As the experience of villainy is meant for them and the people who are close to those we target:
1> Do I have a friendly perception of the person, me to them and them to me?

2> Have I had any recent issues with the person?

3> Will the death of this character have meaning(Is the person someone willing to PK. This implies if they kill me instead, I should PK much the same, or if anyone kills me for these actions).

4(Optional)> Is the person already just looking to PK? It makes things easier and helps with the guilt IF someone PK’s. But bear in mind, that with 3, it’s only a minor preference and specifically trying to PK people should never be your goal. If they PK, it is a sign that they believe what you are doing is good RP, and will continue to be for others. It is a sign of trust, and you should take that and honor it.

The answers for that, should be yes, no, and preferably yes, in that order. It is important that you are courteous and kind to those you aim to be villainous too, and have a good standing with them. A random act of villainy against someone is meaningless; taking their mina, etcetc. It’s fine to do but serves more to be a momentary villain rather than a longterm threat. The above OOC and RP criteria have served thus far for my actions with my own lads, and without fail had ended in friendly interactions and fun times between everyone who’s been on the receiving or giving end of the villainous roleplay. The fact that this has lead to PK’s from multiple people and forum posts have made it gain traction. In doing this, a great deal of fun RP has come out of it! The overall “goal” for my guys falls under the general RP statement of, “To end those who have stolen the influence of the old lords through their death, reclaiming and redistributing it among fewer, to form a more orderly society in which we are rightfully feared and revered.”

So what’s the moral of my little tale?

1> Follow the OOC and RP Criteria!

2> Be utterly courteous to those you perform villainy against! Never make them pop, never call PVP if you’re the aggressor. If you’re not the aggressor, it’s whatever.

3> Have an actual set goal. Don’t do things at random, or just because they’ll be fun for you. Your fun is just as important as the fun of your enemies.

4> Have a target audience! I.E. A nation, or RP group. Pick something like.. “Aegrothond” or “Hanese” – Bear in mind you should have a decent standing among the general community you pick. As such, do not become a villain until you’ve experienced RP as a decent person within that community first. And remember, your target audience shouldn’t be vague. Don’t pick “elves,” or even just “sutica” – as such a location has a differing population each day. One could argue my own target population is too vague, but I make that up with only doing it with people I’m at a decent standing with already. A smaller group within the voidal community.

5> Don’t always kill, unless it fits especially with an achievable goal(or one you can argue as truly achievable. Don’t just say “world domination” or things of that nature.). And if you do kill, don’t just gank. My guys will always sit down and explain to people before they die, exactly the reasons why they need to go, and what their death accomplishes.

Follow those and you should be set, in my eyes, for more long-term villainous behavior. I believe the server is geared against passing villainy, such as robbery or theft or banditry. I don’t mind as I don’t perform those types of villainy, but I can still see it being a problem. I’d like for them to gain more leniency. Including raiding, but that should come in turn with more readily handed out villainy blacklists for people that kill/maim you even if you comply to all demands, etc.

As a side note, your inner group RP is important to. Give people a reason to stay and RP within themselves, without just rping within themselves. I.E. I offer all of my guys, one singular boon I can offer. Such as being asked for a magic(arcanism), or being asked to help them accomplish X goal of their own. Or in one case, being told I must provide battle, guts and glory. That one’s hard and normally means me. All in all, this forces me to keep my group small and tightly knit, so not to overextend myself. That’s all, hope this little incite on how I manage villainy could be helpful to someone or other.

The fault with villainy lies with all of the simp hero complex white knight monkeys who refuse to think they should ever have to lose gracefully and will cry and whine until the cows come home and the bandit or what have you yields to the superiority complex that only youth can have. 

I sincerely hope this thread is not lost among the many others that have highlighted the significant disadvantage and restrictions put in place on all types of villains. There needs to be a radical change for villains and restrictions need to be loosened as currently many different forms of RP whether it comes to thieves, pirates or whatever type of villainous RP you are into are basically being told that they have no place on this server, when in actual fact they should play a part of it as much as any other type of RP.

Conflict and human existence are found to be interchangeable words in a thesaurus.

This thread has been deemed inactive and the debate concluded. If you feel this was mistake, please contact a moderator.