Sign in to follow this  
kipps

Rebuttal Against the Lendian Heresy

Dearly beloved,

The Holy Scrolls are the Word of GOD, and contain wisdom for all times. Thus, in this troubled age, we are called to examine our beliefs and see if they hold to His Word: to keep what is good, and to dispense with what is not.

Recently our Church has been the subject of criticism from those who, for all their austere living and purported humility, do not obey the Lord. The specter of heresy haunts the faithful: folklore is being mingled with faith, to the detriment of both.

I speak of the ‘Lendian Rite’ also called ‘Sigmundic Canonism’. In truth, adherents to this heresy are neither ‘Sigmundic’ nor ‘Canonist’. For all their love of Exalted Sigismund, they do not believe his own words in the Auspice. For all their love of Canonism, they do not read the Canon itself, the Holy Scrolls. Thus, in order to avoid the confusion of the laity, we will refer to these misguided individuals as Lendians. The key errors in the Lendian belief are the Iovanos and the Ioranija, two innovations which are wildly at odds with the dogma of Canonism.

THE HERESY OF THE IOVANOS: Lendians believe in ‘Iovanos’, which is the granting of divine essence to humanity, permitting them access to the Skies. They further believe that because the other descendant races did not receive this ‘gift’, they cannot enter the Skies. This is false. While it is true that humans do hold a special place in GOD’s eyes, and indeed they shall inherit the Skies as a result of their racial blessing, Exalted Sigismund’s own writings guarantee that some nonhumans are currently residing in the Skies, and they shall serve in the Exalted’s armies during the final battle.

• Thus the virtuous of other tribes are marching down from heaven, and the Skies are given over to the sons of Horen.” (Auspice 3:12). 

THE HERESY OF THE IORANIJA: As if their blatant disregard for the actual words of the final prophet is not enough, Lendians also believe in the coming of the “Ioranija” or “Fifth Prophet”. With this they undermine yet again their supposed reverence for Exalted Sigismund, who is described repeatedly in the Canon as the last prophet. This dignity is an eternal one--Exalted Sigismund is the last prophet, and he shall remain so forever.

• So My promise is kept: the waters of prophecy are frozen until the last day, and My Seal is placed upon them. And with the third son of spirit, no more shall prophet rule as king; the crown and the laurel are two in harmony, like unto Evaristus and Clement. For when I return, the waters shall thaw and wash over the world, and all shall know My Word, and none will reign as prophet above another. The Sons of Horen shall walk the Seven Skies.” (Gospel 7:58-62)

I charge the Lendians with falling prey to that ancient enemy of Canonism: the silent introduction of folkloric and foreign ways into true faith. As it is written in the Gospel, wicked Iblees is known for this crime “In the kingdoms of Malin, Krug, and Urguan, he shaped false faiths. In the kingdoms of Horen, he mingled strange and corrupt practices with the wisdom of holy men.” (Gospel 5:33-34) Moreso, Lendianism is most prevalent amongst Highlanders--the descendants of the Kingdom of Edel under Joren, of whom Exalted Owyn wrote “The Lord is the Lord GOD without peer, but you have failed in your defense of His word. Indeed, your own brothers mingle the word of lesser beings among His, and lapse in His commands for favor of new and foreign ways.” (Spirit 2:6-7) Thus we encourage those Highlander adherents of the Lendian heresy to learn from the mistakes of their great ancestors.

Accordingly, and with sorrow for those piously misguided individuals who have fallen to Lendianism, I find it necessary to declare the doctrines of Iovanos and Ioranija to be heretical and anathema. I have been given the authority from the High Pontiff James II himself to excommunicate all that embrace these false beliefs, though I pray to GOD that I will not need to use this authority and can correct  any that have been led astray. 

Finally, in the spirit of peaceful reconciliation, I will remind those who would reject this declaration of another tale from the Holy Scrolls: the consecration of  James I, as High Priest and Pontifex under Exalted Godfrey.

• And there was peace and holiness, for the priests had returned from long persecution and spoke the Word of GOD in temples and courts. But they were quarrelsome, for they had no lords, and they brought great confusion into Godfrey’s kingdom with their divisions. So Godfrey called the priests of the Lord together, and bade them to agree upon rites and hymns that all men should use. But the priests argued, and cried out about their wisdom and their love of the Lord. They could come to no decision, for many had lived in strange lands and loved their ways. So Godfrey said that none should leave until they had come to accord. For seven days and seven nights, the priests of the Lord quarreled and prayed, but could not agree. Finally, the Lord’s servant James came before them, and spoke ‘O elders, the Lord has sent us a prophet after one thousand years of Silence. If we cannot serve the prophet of the Lord, we serve Iblees.’ And the priests were humbled, and Godfrey saw that James was good and pious. So Godfrey raised the horn and laurel, and said unto James ‘O James, pious son of the Lord, I have seen the glory of God in your heart and His word on your tongue. You will be my high priest, as in the days of Evaristus and Clement. I name you pontifex, for you are a builder of bridges.’” (Gospel 6:48-61)

In nomine Patris,

Bishop Anton

HIS HOLINESS JAMES II, High Pontiff of the Church of the Canon, Archbishop of Visigia, Successor of the High Priesthood of the Church, Supreme Pontiff of the Church of True Faith, Keeper of the Canon, Missionary to Aeldin, High Servant to the Exalted's Testaments, Humble Servant of the Faithful and Vicar of GOD places his seal of imprimatur upon the document.

“A very few people even follow this heresy, just because a single man approached Bishop Bram asking about bird faeces, does that mean the entire population suddenly follows this instead?” asked Boniface to himself as he read the missive in his barrel, awaiting a Pontifical reply to his letter.”

Krisztián smirks politely.

“I call upon the Fidei Defensor to restore order to this Church!” Sigismund rasped out, a fist slamming upon a table. “Get these bumbling fools out of my Kingdom! Decadency, corruption, and Madyar filth will not corrupt my lands any further!”

Osvald look over to Bishop Anton's publication, signing the Lorraine on his body.

Posted (edited)

“The church went from bein’ dead to bein’ full of degenerates.”

Edited by Drew2_dude

His Holiness, Everard V, frowns from the Skies. He is unable to comprehend the intolerance of the current church and their breaking from tradition.

A man who published a series of historical research notes and somehow started this mess would mutter ”Bishops have spent more time in last year shitting themselves over this, than they have spent preaching and made doing of good works in last decade.” to whoever happened to be in one of Reza’s small shops. He’d chuckle, ”In end, good came of this then, da? At least they are doing something with their time now.”

Within his hermetic abode humbly situated in the mountains of the Greyspine, a gaggle of his former students and peers gathered to expose the old monastic the proclamation. Many showed their frustration and anger, from the young Crow to the man of Candlelight, though the Tarcharman only remained silent. After some time of hearing the tirade of ambitious action of what should be done, the Tarcharman sighed, stroking at his beard and speaking gently, “We must not let the struggles of the earth and the spirit consume our minds in blind anger, lest we achieve nothing but sinful wrath. A response I shall draft, yes, though it will take some days for me to finish and promulgate in proper form. Till then, my children, my sons of Joren, keep yourself at peace and let not the temptation of misguided temper cloud your minds. Together, we will see through this and achieve our salvation not through petty threats, but through the Word of God. Go home now, to your wives and daughters, to your brothers and sons, and let myself deal with the issue at-hand.” He then sends off all but a very few of his closest compatriots, and began at work with the quill once more.