[✓] [Magic Lore] Sensory Illusion

Johann

What a lovely rewrite. I wonder what pleasant player helped.

Sweet post, defenitely an good rewrite ❤️

Neat

I wish I could have been more help or actually finish my rewrite but I suck so... 

I'll read this when I've got a break at work or after work and give my input but skimming so far looks good. ?

looks good

I don’t remember much of illusion since I’ve left the server, but as someone who had it for a few IRL years and was experienced, this is a solid rework. Keep it up, Johann.

I don’t have too many problems with this. My only concern is that the lore team will not like the lack of spells (which I hope the realize is a huge task to undertake if we need to further break down the abilities of illusion and thusly restrict it further than it already is.) 

One thing I’d like to see added if possible is a certain idea/ability I had that was purely for fluff and fun purposes called “Hypnotists Boon”, as much of what I was writing involved a lot of comparisons to mundane hypnotism. 

Basically, while in a NON COMBAT environment/situation as well as while using illusions for purposes that in no way try to hide the fact that the thing being done is an illusion (Ie: anything more than a simple prank level of deception which would almost instantly be recognized by most as an illusion or at the very least harmless and not capable of deceiving most people for more than a few seconds) the abilities of an illusionist are effectively limitless. The mana requirement is basically non existent, and the focus requirement for Tier 4 and 5 for any given illusion(s) cast in this manner is also barely an issue.

For an example: Standing in front of a crowd and suddenly disguising yourself as a clown. Or, putting on some kind of intricate illusory performance like a play or something else. If you can work in the word “whimsical” and if the intent behind it is obviously not any more malicious than a silly prank you can do it and you don’t even have to worry. 

Justification? The minds you’re deceiving are far less concerned with these sorts of illusions and therefore less critical. Furthermore they’ll tend to be more open to being “deceived” in these ways, especially if it is for the purposes of entertainment which carries no real risk of anybody possibly losing something they don’t want to lose. 

This also means these types of illusions can effectively be ignored and ‘faded out’ of the mind of someone who is unwilling to perceive them, becoming illusory ‘shadows’, muffled, and barely registering at all. An immediate example of this would be...

If you disguise yourself as a clown in front of everyone nearby in the town square, but someone in that crowd is horridly terrified of clowns as some people tend to be. This illusion can either be immediately dismissed in that person’s mind and shattered for that person. They can still “see” it in a sense that they’re aware that you’re messing about pretending to be a clown so that it’s not confusing to see a crowd of people staring at you and laughing or whatever in a way that makes little sense, but it won’t be ‘vivid’ for them. It’ll just be a thought at most unless they decide they want to perceive it despite being terrified of clowns (for exposure therapy perhaps?). 

Why have this as a feature? It’s harmless and it is a ton of fun, opening up many opportunities to use illusion without having to bother yourself with redlines that would otherwise be imposed. You CAN make that 2 foot tall purple t-rex as long as either a) the expectation is set up for it to exist in reality somehow or b) it’s obvious it’s not real, not threatening, etc. 

These illusions can’t be used in a backhanded way to disguise yourself or anything from someone else. If someone wants to see “through” the illusion for any reason at any given moment they just CAN unless you’re using it with the intent to deceive or hide something or whatever in which case: it must follow all the redlines, restrictions, etc. that illusion follows and does not benefit from this boon. 

This is one of the ideas I had that I was kind of in love with and I hope we can fit that in. If you’re worried that it might delay the approval and acceptance of this rewrite I’m happy to submit it later as a lore addition after this is approved. 

On 4/14/2020 at 2:57 PM, Demotheus said:

I don’t have too many problems with this. My only concern is that the lore team will not like the lack of spells (which I hope the realize is a huge task to undertake if we need to further break down the abilities of illusion and thusly restrict it further than it already is.) 

One thing I’d like to see added if possible is a certain idea/ability I had that was purely for fluff and fun purposes called “Hypnotists Boon”, as much of what I was writing involved a lot of comparisons to mundane hypnotism. 

Basically, while in a NON COMBAT environment/situation as well as while using illusions for purposes that in no way try to hide the fact that the thing being done is an illusion (Ie: anything more than a simple prank level of deception which would almost instantly be recognized by most as an illusion or at the very least harmless and not capable of deceiving most people for more than a few seconds) the abilities of an illusionist are effectively limitless. The mana requirement is basically non existent, and the focus requirement for Tier 4 and 5 for any given illusion(s) cast in this manner is also barely an issue.

For an example: Standing in front of a crowd and suddenly disguising yourself as a clown. Or, putting on some kind of intricate illusory performance like a play or something else. If you can work in the word “whimsical” and if the intent behind it is obviously not any more malicious than a silly prank you can do it and you don’t even have to worry. 

Justification? The minds you’re deceiving are far less concerned with these sorts of illusions and therefore less critical. Furthermore they’ll tend to be more open to being “deceived” in these ways, especially if it is for the purposes of entertainment which carries no real risk of anybody possibly losing something they don’t want to lose. 

This also means these types of illusions can effectively be ignored and ‘faded out’ of the mind of someone who is unwilling to perceive them, becoming illusory ‘shadows’, muffled, and barely registering at all. An immediate example of this would be...

If you disguise yourself as a clown in front of everyone nearby in the town square, but someone in that crowd is horridly terrified of clowns as some people tend to be. This illusion can either be immediately dismissed in that person’s mind and shattered for that person. They can still “see” it in a sense that they’re aware that you’re messing about pretending to be a clown so that it’s not confusing to see a crowd of people staring at you and laughing or whatever in a way that makes little sense, but it won’t be ‘vivid’ for them. It’ll just be a thought at most unless they decide they want to perceive it despite being terrified of clowns (for exposure therapy perhaps?). 

Why have this as a feature? It’s harmless and it is a ton of fun, opening up many opportunities to use illusion without having to bother yourself with redlines that would otherwise be imposed. You CAN make that 2 foot tall purple t-rex as long as either a) the expectation is set up for it to exist in reality somehow or b) it’s obvious it’s not real, not threatening, etc. 

These illusions can’t be used in a backhanded way to disguise yourself or anything from someone else. If someone wants to see “through” the illusion for any reason at any given moment they just CAN unless you’re using it with the intent to deceive or hide something or whatever in which case: it must follow all the redlines, restrictions, etc. that illusion follows and does not benefit from this boon. 

This is one of the ideas I had that I was kind of in love with and I hope we can fit that in. If you’re worried that it might delay the approval and acceptance of this rewrite I’m happy to submit it later as a lore addition after this is approved. 

I’ll probably add a section in magic explanation, redlines and properties to incorporate your idea. I do think there is already an implicit guideline in sensory illusion that illusions are easier to make if the target is more open/partial to the idea, as it would in turn make the suggestion much easier to manifest in the other person’s perception or otherwise... however I don’t see the harm in adding explicit remarks on special, non-combat scenarios where singlecasting, multicasting or even broadcasting nonsensical/recreational illusions are much easier. Thank you for the suggestion, @Demotheus.

Good work Johann, stronk rewrite...