[Your View] Pots n' Pandits

armajesty

Pots n’ Pandits

c.png.fe9f31e07c6a08d7a7ddd99c4e4997c6.png

Pots n’ Pandits was a program that used to be run by the community team to introduce players both old and new to combat on LotC. This included combat role-play (usually abbreviated as CRP), PvP, and combat roll-play (combat roleplay but with rolling to determine hits.. think DnD). It aimed at improving the roleplay during combat and helping players understand what was and wasn’t allowed, and its specific goals were to try and reduce the number of powergaming incidents that occurred, inform people of the rules surrounding combat (countdowns, status, running before countdown ends, etc.) and make the combat experience a more enjoyable experience for all.

Moving forward, the Community Team’s Broom Crew focus group will be working on restructuring and bringing back this Pots n’ Pandits group, but we need your feedback

Original Forum Post: https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/183145-the-pots-n%E2%80%99-pandits-project/?tab=comments#comment-1714534

Guiding Questions:

• If you were a part of Pots n Pandits previously how did it work?

• Did it function properly?

• How should it be changed?

• Why was it disbanded?

• How should a group dedicated to teaching players CRP work?

• Should players be allowed to join this group as well as ct members?

• How should the selection process go if they’re allowed to join?

• Should we host lessons or should players request them?

• What should these training sessions look like?

If you would like to still provide feedback but don’t wish to post a comment and have your name attached, feel free to give us some anonymous feedback using the guiding questions in this form: 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1QHmEFD2sL7jpkROTpwCO02ixaHvucYl6Rsb5bQWPoUQ/edit.

I actually was the manager of the Pots n Pandits focus group for a short while, then it was merged with other staff teams for some reason and became a giant mess when the ST tried to also get involved (ty whoever approved of that). I always liked the idea if implemented well but it’s a bit hard to set up isolated CRP scenario’s to teach players. No two lotc players CRP in the same way and for a new player running into someone with super detailed emotes even after having gone through Pots ‘n Pandits could still be overwhelming or confusing.

I don’t know, if it’s implemented well enough for players to actually understand the concept of CRP, the rules behind it and not just have them go through semi-scripted CRP scenario’s then I can see it work out again.

bring it back

teach a good format for crping

Teach what the use of pvp is, when it is done, and the rules about it

teach that roll-play is only an optional thing that everyone in the group has to agree with. Can be overruled in certain situations with mods and what not.

What qualifies people to teach CRP? What standards are you going off?

Was a part of the Focus Group. It was a fun experiment but it is really hard to really grasp what the pots and pandits should be about. As well as the situation mentioned by marb in which ETs were added and the focus group died off. Not having permission to do events people started leaving it.
Maybe it would be a cool idea to have some sort of CRP scenario in the tutorial island? Or an attempt to bandit someone in it. This could help with what Zacho said on his comment. 

1 hour ago, Zacho said:

bring it back

teach a good format for crping

Teach what the use of pvp is, when it is done, and the rules about it

teach that roll-play is only an optional thing that everyone in the group has to agree with. Can be overruled in certain situations with mods and what not.

I think one of the main lessons a player should get from this is that it’s OK to lose. Many players have problems with this.

I think @joel had a cool idea he pitched in before being removed. (Not 100% sure might be remembering this wrong)

I think the question made by Xarkly is important tho. What guidelines will you follow? Will you post some sort of CRP guide? Will you cover different areas like Rollplay, CRP, PvP. Different weapons? Wounds? 

The reason why ETs were brought in to the focus group at the time was to review our RP skills. Since they spend time doing events and often events involve CRP then they are bit more used to it. Hence the presence of an ET could prove benefitial to the project.

I think it's still a joke as far as implementation. I've worked for multiple different guard forces and crp groups in the past and there is a massive range in both quality and method of emotes. Trusting people who don't even have to prove then can rp to be on a team to teach people how to do the most oocly dividing rp on lotc is not going to work. 

If we are infact doing a tutorial island then a vetted group that is overseen by CT and Moderation to oversee a section of that island dedicated to teach different combat related issues makea at least some sense. Perhaps for quality assurance have the teachers provide logs like how actors are required for events. Otherwise I really dont see a CT based project working well to tackle this issue rather than working with leaders of these military groups to ensure that standards are set and maintained.

On the aforementioned topic new players who get in with groups are typically rather impressionable with that leadership. I know this is not always the case but if you're new you look for someone to show you the ropes or friends on this server so you can actually be with a playerbase. A suggestion/feedback that I have is why are we not just using these systems that are already in place. Oocly setting firm minimums to roll play and roleplay (pvp has already decent enough rules to teach off oof) by moderation is a start. Once a measure has been set a supportive approach to leaders of bandit groups and nation militaries should be made to see these standards are meet. Military groups host combat related stuff as that is their activity draw. Working with these events that are already going to happen while having the information delivered through someone oocly respected and trusted is far more likely to succeed. If I'm rping in the dwarven legion for my first 5 days and they are being inclusive I as a new player am far more likely to listen to them than I am if lotsoffish pulls me aside and tries to correct me. (Not calling out fish just picked a ct I knew wouldnt get upset).

Tl;dr either make a designated group vetted by mods and ct who have to show logs of their teaching like actors do. Elsewise make a hard ooc minimum and work with current combat based to group leaders to ensure standards are taught and meet.

Also pardon my grammar and formatting I'm on mobile and I suck at both of those things already

((Also cause I'm dumb I just noticed you have hard questions your proposing so if you want those specifically answered or clarity on my response to those questions just quote me so I get the ping

could you give it a name that makes it even remotely possible to insinuate its meaning

1 hour ago, Xarkly said:

What qualifies people to teach CRP? What standards are you going off?

If you’d like to recommend certain standards to set then that would be great. We’re looking for suggestions into what we can do in order to begin planning.

1 minute ago, armajesty said:

If you’d like to recommend certain standards to set then that would be great. We’re looking for suggestions into what we can do in order to begin planning.

Thing with CRP is that the standards differ drastically and different people have different idea beyond power gaming.

So I'm not sure what your definition of good CRP is, and I think that's probably the very first question you should ask yourselves before you pursue this because a lot depends on that.

• How should a group dedicated to teaching players CRP work?

• Should players be allowed to join this group as well as ct members?

• How should the selection process go if they’re allowed to join?

• Should we host lessons or should players request them?

• What should these training sessions look like?

1. in my opinion, for a group dedicated to crp, it’d have to work in a way that allows the teacher to have some fun, and give the player going through the school some incentive. That incentive for the teacher could be the fact they get to beat new players, and for the new players they could potentially get their first role play weapon. 

2. Players 100% should be allowed to join this group, so that the different groups teaching can all learn from eachother as they work together to teach new players. As the players learn in a unheated environment how other nations crp, they can take notes from eachother and better their own player bases on the side. 

3. The Selection process should implement a scenario, be it generated from the team or players. The applicant would have to prove their ability to crp the give and take aspect of this type of role play while showing off their ability to crp. Winning or losing the scenario shouldn’t matter in anyway, the best part of crp is never knowing if your going to win or not until a couple emotes go by at the minimum. 

4. Both! If players are able to join this team of people, it’d allow for them to host lessons within nations with ease as events. Allowing players to request lessons also gives staff a chance to see if a new/old player who has power gaming accusations is trying to better themselves. Also not every nation has people dedicated to teaching crp, so it’d allow players in those nations to find lessons easier. 

5. In my dream world, these lessons begin first by the student (Who requested lessons) choosing a weapon from a list, be it a dagger, sword, axe, or quarterstaff the team member will provide a simple item representing it. Then the teacher uses that same weapon, players who wish to join this team can apply for certain weapons they believe their skill is best used. Then the fight ensues, with the teacher helping teach the new player emote by emote until there is a victor. The teacher would give a lot of ooc feedback, and help players improve their emotes Quality aswell even if they didn’t powergame. At the end of the session or sessions if the teacher believes they are capable they allow the player to keep their weapon. Event training would be conducted with self provided rp weapons. 

this is my two cents, I Hope yal enjoyed my ted talk and I’ll see you next week.

@SoulReapingWolf appreciate the tag of just going on some random noob called Joel

Pots ‘n Pandits is an idealistic project which requires an insane amount of dedication to drive people through the first steps of their journey as a new player. Though it is so difficult to gather a standard to CRP when the entire server has drastic levels of skill and knowledge in regards to these areas, it is not like there’s a streamlined hierarchy of who are the ‘best’ and who are not. Ultimately in my opinion, this level of teaching should be done by nations and playerbases that integrate these new people. So they’re consistent with their group and don’t adapt bad habits from staff members that may or may not be qualified to run the program. I did have my project which I think Mystery tried to pitch at one point after I left, which focused on blending the first few moments into RPG-esque quests for new players to adapt easier to the world before being introduced into the playerbase of their choice. Though it’s simply a matter of manpower and inconsistency across the server that makes this really inefficient to run.

Focus on teaching new players the /rules/ and allow their playerbases to shape and mould their combat style. If noobs come out with shitty attitudes, at least we can pinpoint that a nation is encouraging those ideals.

This sounds like more of a thing the ST/ET should handle through simply making events. “Teaching” someone to CRP should be relegated to a guide on the forum at most, and through trial and error in events/random happenings within a city.

Pots n’ Pandits was an real nice experience. I was an rather new player these days and it really helped getting the understanding of how to CRP. (Big thanks and credits to marb who made time to do an session with me back then ❤️) Because everyone does CRP differently its good to have an red lead on what it is supposed to be. Really improves the way of CRP in the community, at least it did for me.