Like The Good Old Days, Tech & Chat Update

Telanir

52 minutes ago, Telanir said:

Seeing this reminds me that I am so happy that @TheBelidle redid Farmer Billy Bob’s model, look at this handsome farmer. Don’t you want a piece? ?

GANG – Just call me hot and I’m happy

Oren is GETTING TOO MODERN! They are acting like its the 17th century! How can we fix this?

"Well what if we adapted to the roleplay and helped spur new aspects of it to work with the molding ideas of the playerbase and their ideas to make it better for everyone?"

NAHHH FAM WE'S GONNA BAN SWEARS! THATLL FUCKIN TEACH THEM!

honestly just do it for racial slurs

if you insult someone personally they can report it

i don’t want to go back to the era of people getting banned for jokingly calling their friend a p u ssy in /t 

how do u manage to **** everything up

Immersion but at what cost?

But I want to tell the new players to **** off telanir 

2 hours ago, argonian said:

honestly just do it for racial slurs

if you insult someone personally they can report it

i don’t want to go back to the era of people getting banned for jokingly calling their friend a p u ssy in /t 

Messages are not filtered ? so call your friend whatever you both like lol

Also, the filter does not warn mods it just cancels the message so no threat of ban.

good work m'lord telanir. perhaps i could humbly request you look at gump of gortis' ban appeal? forgive my insolence

11 hours ago, Telanir said:

We are going to try reducing the frequency of restarts to preserve precious RP immersion (this is possible as soon we can double or triple the accessible RAM for our main server, yes Tofuus this is OK with the right settings).

Restarts are more about having a fixed schedule to deploy updates on. Not as a band-aid fix to memory leak issues lol.

Man oh man. The slow reversal of everything we worked on is pretty disheartening. We have world team proposing grindy gated professions systems. Now you’ve brought back NSA. At certain sizes it makes sense to have automated chat filtering. But come on, at lotc’s size just allow people to report chat infractions and act on those reports.

Here’s an easy enough implementation, add a chat report command. Player sees another player saying some stupid ****. They report the stupid player. Last x amount of chat for stupid player are saved and a report is created and queued up. Mods can see this queue and review the reported chat. If action is needed, punish the reported player. If the player who reported them is abusing the system, punish them and remove their ability to report other players.

I’ve not been able to see this IG yet but I hope you are taking into account that races like dwarves swear for good things as well. It’s a part of their culture. 

I personally am heavily against this idea. I understand the need for it as this is a PG-13 server but why not make it so that this is something that you can toggle on and off? Why change something that really doesn’t need to be changed or that people don’t want to be changed. Another thing would be to just make a plugin or alter this one so that players who use slurs get automatically banned from the server. Just a suggestion..

whoever tries to take my god-given of calling someone a ***** is going to get shot

Telanir why are you implementing a swear filter? I don’t know why you keep making these overbearing decisions when you barely know the community. While your heart is in the right place, you need to start taking some real feedback before you implement these things. 

48 minutes ago, arockstar28 said:

Telanir why are you implementing a swear filter? I don’t know why you keep making these overbearing decisions when you barely know the community. While your heart is in the right place, you need to start taking some real feedback before you implement these things. 

Definitely left-field there, if you’ve logged on in the last few months at all you wouldn’t be parroting the ol’ “community” line. We’re implementing it because we’re a server with a wide age range & we realize the use-cases for the people who requested this change but also the wider community as well. We haven’t had a good filter in a long long time and I’m going to introduce it in stages so that it has minimal impact on ongoing RP. It should be operational by next month but it will be running on the server gathering data starting today/tomorrow.

PG-13

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Association_of_America_film_rating_system#Rating_components

Obviously chat filters can’t detect context, which is pretty crucial if the server’s trying to keep it consistent with the whole PG-13 rating these days, but hopefully it doesn’t become excessive. I think there’s a big difference in a lot of words that would be filtered by context that makes them a lot less offensive.