Like The Good Old Days, Tech & Chat Update

Telanir

Can't say that I agree with a chat filter. I understand why, but I think there are other less severe methods to fixing the issue or you could just have nothing, and let these 'children' know that over-swearing is not appreciated in the community. I understand protecting a youngsters innocence, but I'm sure that they've already seen worse

1 hour ago, Telanir said:

Definitely left-field there, if you’ve logged on in the last few months at all you wouldn’t be parroting the ol’ “community” line. We’re implementing it because we’re a server with a wide age range & we realize the use-cases for the people who requested this change but also the wider community as well. We haven’t had a good filter in a long long time and I’m going to introduce it in stages so that it has minimal impact on ongoing RP. It should be operational by next month but it will be running on the server gathering data starting today/tomorrow.

I don’t need to physically log on to know what’s going on in this community.  I still talk to a good chunk of the playerbase and check the forums to stay up to date with ongoing changes.  I am making the case for what people talk to me about, in hopes to get to you and alter your vision for the server (since it’s still pretty much under your direction).  However, I do think that the “if you’ve logged on in the last few months at all you wouldn’t be parroting the ol’ ‘community’ line” is a pretty unfair assertion to make considering you’re only active during school breaks.  Maybe if you were on during the periods in between things would be different.  

Talking to people is a good step, one that we both do quite often, but it’s different from the people who are consistently online, the vibe on the game server of the regulars is pretty removed from what you’d see on the forums or in private discords or convos. We both know this, so I think the assessment is unclear especially as it there are many communities on LotC and no one person is connected to all of them.

1 minute ago, Telanir said:

Talking to people is a good step arockstar, one that we both do quite often, but it’s different from the people who are consistently online, the vibe on the game server of the regulars is pretty removed from what you’d see on the forums or in private discords or convos. We both know this, so I think the assessment is unclear especially as it there are many communities on LotC and no one person is connected to all of them.

I’m in discords that are nation-based and always cycling through new people.  The case you’re trying to make for this swear filter is invalid, because you still didn’t gauge any sort of community opinion on it (and seemingly taking no feedback on it).  I don’t need to be lectured on what I’m “seeing” or “not seeing” because you’re not listening to anyone that actually plays on the server.  

If the “assessment is unclear,” then refer back to my earlier advice – get some feedback on it.  Are you speaking for the 13 year olds or are you listening to what they have to say on the matter?

I’ve no issue with this so long as it filters out modern-day slurs that have no place being said IC and are unacceptable by community standards OOC. However, the inability for such systems to take context into consideration is very concerning.

22 hours ago, Taketheshot said:

Oren is GETTING TOO MODERN! They are acting like its the 17th century! How can we fix this?

"Well what if we adapted to the roleplay and helped spur new aspects of it to work with the molding ideas of the playerbase and their ideas to make it better for everyone?"

NAHHH FAM WE'S GONNA BAN SWEARS! THATLL FUCKIN TEACH THEM!

we’re not the problem here buddy

but yhh, the swear filter is a bit annoying, imo should be active only for sexually explicit language, racial slurs, and to **** with ppl in ways that won’t seriously disrupt roleplay (setting “Sutica” to automatically filter to “Helena” would be a good start, and I think you should seriously consider this change.)

1 minute ago, howard said:

we’re not the problem here buddy

but yhh, the swear filter is a bit annoying, imo should be active only for sexually explicit language, racial slurs, and to **** with ppl in ways that won’t seriously disrupt roleplay

The joke went right over your head  my man.....

1 minute ago, Taketheshot said:

The joke went right over your head  my man.....

where’s the joke? you posed oren being too modern as a problem the staff were supposed to solve. I’ve heard this too many times unironically to have it register as a joke anymore

1 minute ago, howard said:

where’s the joke? you posed oren being too modern as a problem the staff were supposed to solve. I’ve heard this too many times unironically to have it register as a joke anymore

Thats the meme man! Its me talking in the voice of a GM about problems that dont exist and ways to curb those “problems” through solutions that make no sense/. 

1 minute ago, Taketheshot said:

Thats the meme man! Its me talking in the voice of a GM about problems that dont exist and ways to curb those “problems” through solutions that make no sense/. 

oh i see my brain is small sorry

I cannot express my hatred for this new chat filter thing. It’s not like the server’s main playerbase is comprised of toddlers. My god.