Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

No, only because of personal preference. 

Functional firearms, no. Do I entirely believe somebody would IRPly shove gunpowder in a barrel and think it's a good idea? Sure

I am not too sure on what to think of firearms on the server until I read some more comments and views on it, but a general statement/concern that I have is that I am wondering how this will play out into roleplay? The crafting of weapons and firearms, are we going to have random shoot outs in the city and have players /roll to see accuracy, and many more things. I fell like it would be better to make decisions and collect views from the community if there are proposed ways to implement them onto the server.

Cannons for setbuilding, with various cultural distinctions(rune cannons for Dwarves etc.) are cool, and could even be implemented into warclaims as basically an advancement over trebuchets, but with a prohibitive mina cost etc. I think this is the limit however really, because players can’t figure out how to roleplay crossbows or arbalests adequately, introducing firearms into that is only going to lead to the same and quite possibly worse.

Old style flint-locks seem fine in my opinion. Single fire barrels with low accuracy and a decent probability of failure.

I mean you already know our opinion of it, this will just be another ‘your view’ thread that ultimately won’t do anything

After some dialogue with Dibley, I’ve changed my mind. I still personally do not agree with flintlock weapons – I think that while clever implementation is possible, human flaws will inevitably tarnish this precarious idea. However, I think that the communities pushing for techlock relaxation need to be given a fair shot. Allow flintlock weapons with tight reigns and see how the community responds a month or two later. We need to put this to the test.

This has been posted time and time and time again, Firearms are ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENT than crossbows in terms of use and form. The only thing firearms offer is increased roleplay flavor and yknow what? THAT IS A GOOD THING. We can have super elven mages who can control someones mind and warp time and space but firearms with the same function as a crossbow is too “out of place” get outta here with that BS.

You have a sect of players ready to adapt to this roleplay and are simply waiting for it, numerous times people have wrote astounding lore that makes sense and is well written.

Again let me say this out loud

A MUSKET HAS THE SAME POWERGAME POTENTIAL AS A CROSSBOW

If crossbows are not banned, nor should be firearms.

To all you out there whining and snivelling about ‘muh arpee!’ all i can say is there are a bunch of bleeding hearts around here that cant stand change in roleplay or to adapt to something that might be able to counter their special elven magic. All i can say is go on and bleed. 

Sir Henry trumps the elf mages who question how we can improve roleplay

Edited by Taketheshot

A great many people have voiced an interest in seeing some form of technological advance.  I think rudimentary firearms like flintlocks or blunderbusses are plausible, and we ought to give the idea a chance. 

There’s not a whole lot that makes crossbows any less brutal or barbaric than modern assault rifles, imo.

Yes, due to to the simple fact that it would be highly logical irp vise that such a weapon or something like it would not be created by simple innovation and creativity of someone somewhere, the fact is that technology should progress and hence firearms should be created as new resources get found or new ways to use existing resources are thought of. Technology of war and life in general progresses, and if it does not for some reason then it simply ruins the feeling of living in an actual world ,some people may dislike it, but when the guns were first invented there were people against them too, so progress should take priority. 

No because it feels like that’d take away the medieval-ish fantasy vibe. ?

Yes. But I think it should be handcanons and not say, for example muskets. These should be experiment and dangerous weapons that could blow up in the users hands.

I believe guns should be the human racial magic.