Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

16 minutes ago, FloralHedgehog said:

I wouldn't mind seeing flintlock guns and the likes starting to appear. And with how they have been described in the Techlock discord chat they will be less powerful than crossbows which I think is the best way to go and will probably make them not as widespread. and to everyone who likes to ***** about people who will be powergaming with guns, just report those people when you see them do it.

I’d rather that powergaming be prevented all together rather then having to be reported everytime. 

I think yes, because at this rate, we’re just playing Game of Thrones Mineman Edition. 

We can’t have cool magic, we can’t have cannons, we can’t even have our charters anymore. 

You have to give us something interesting. ANYTHING interesting. Because as of right now, slice of life RP is not cutting it. 

We just had this awesome event for Oren that felt like modern warfare, because that’s what it was. Modern warfare, minus the gunpowder.  The only thing we didn’t have were cannons and muskets, which would have been an interesting thing to see play out in roleplay. We have some places that have basically advanced into the 17th century (and don’t feed me that BS “just because it’s seventeen hundred in game don’t mean...” garbage) and are basically being hindered by this made up rule that we’re not allowed to make scientific advancements and explore things like alchemy and explosives. I’m not saying we should add friggin tanks and fighter jets, I’m just saying that it’s pretty silly to bury your heads in the sand and pretend like people haven’t been asking for gunpowder weapons for ages. 

I know I have. 

1 minute ago, KunLunKungFu said:

You have to give us something interesting. ANYTHING interesting.

This is the wrong attitude to have.

If you’re so starved for RP or intrigue throwing more toys at the problem won’t solve it. In fact it will encourage the introduction of poorly-implemented, half-baked ideas to fill the gap, only to be quickly forgotten about a few months later, and then for a number of issues to crop up later. That’s literally where a whole bunch of issues with magic come from.

Ok, add guns. I’ll call PvP anyway. 

EDIT: Cannons would be cool tho

Just now, Sorcerio said:

Ok, add guns. I’ll call PvP anyway. 

that too.

The server already plays host to a variety of themes and flavors of roleplay, why should we be denied firearms simply because it may clash with the views of others? We have roleplay acting out everything from the viking age to the industrialization, low to high fantasy, and Lord of the Rings to Warhammer, players have always been free to partake in the roleplay they’ve enjoyed most from this amalgamation of different media. Those who would prefer to distance themselves from gunpowder weaponry are free to do so in similar fashion to how the human community at large does not partake in magic.

Any notions of firearm abuse should be dealt with in the same manner that abuses of magic are dealt with, as the firearms are already no more powerful than what is achievable via hurling fireballs, electrocution, and even reanimating the dead. Minecraft itself already allows for gunpowder weaponry that is far more potent than what is being asked for with firearms, with even a tiny few adjustments and a small resourcepack one can easily create the firearms that are sought after by a majority of the community.

9 minutes ago, Evonpire said:

I’d rather that powergaming be prevented all together rather then having to be reported everytime. 

You are part of the community team, if new players dont understand a subject it is UP TO YOU, you help guide them through those issues to roleplay. 

Having a reskinned crossbow with different flavor and different emotes but used in the same manner is not going to change anything drastic.

If I go to shoot someone in one emote with a crossbow ill get a GM called on me, having a musket doesnt suddenly make it non punishable. 

if someone powergames you REPORT IT. Saying you dont want something because you dont want to report it is stupid. Dont report it I guess?

give us guns or reset the year it’s the only way

pew pew

Lord of the Craft is not a medieval roleplay server. The Middle ages, which most historians agree ended at the beginning of the Renaissance in the late 1400’s, was characterized by primarily decentralized kingdoms, heavily dependant on feudal lords to run townships, raise militaries through their knighthoods, and collect taxes and staple food supplies from the serfs tied to their lands. Absolute monarchy, a system of government revolving around the absolute authority of the governing power of the king, arose in Europe around the 1600’s, after developments and inventions in Europe made it possible for kings to do what they once relied upon feudal lords for. Most notably, the musket, invented in 1615, allowed for kings to raise standing armies of untrained civilians without relying on noble houses and their knighthoods. These armies could enforce laws among peasantries, collect taxes from towns that went directly to the central government, and back up the king’s attempts to consolidate power into one solid monarchy. Absolute monarchy could not exist without the musket.

LoTC is a post absolute monarchy roleplay server. It is a post musket roleplay server. The major nations of LoTC have electorate parliamentary governments with consistently standing layman guard forces, and regulated bureaucratic offices for efficiently collecting taxes from citizens: unheard of in Europe until well after the age of the musket. Parliamentary government was by and large a response to resentment among citizens towards their absolute monarchs, and bureaucracies for taxation developed as absolute monarchs could no longer rely on feudal lords for taxes after stripping them of their power.  LotC has also long since passed mercantilism, a system which absolute monarchs were able to enforce along trade routes using their cannon-equipped privateers, and into a capitalist economy. The fact that LoTC has nations at all, instead of kingdoms based on dynastic succession of rulers, speaks numbers to the advancements LoTC has made past the middle ages. The concept of nationalism practically didn’t even exist until after the second French Revolution in the 1840’s, when citizens with guns revolted against the suppression of their idea of the french nation. All of these developments didn’t- and COULDN’T- happen until after europe had muskets!

What I’m saying is, it’s actually more anachronistic and less sensical for LoTC not to have muskets. The fact that we keep clinging to the aesthetic of the middle ages while actively roleplaying modern systems is completely bonkers to me. Take five steps into Helena and tell me to my face that this is a medieval town and not a well-planned late 1700’s-1800’s city state with a strong central government. For god’s sake, the people don’t even wear medieval clothing. Women wear empire-waisted dresses emblematic of the neoclassical movement in early 1800’s fashion. Men wear suit coats- not even French habits, which were popular in the 1600-1700s, but suit coats, which look like they came out of industrial textile factories, not the small stone guild houses of the Middle Ages. And yet, we keep attacking every invention that might remind us that LoTC is past the Middle Ages- guns, soap, steam engines- so we can tell ourselves that this is still medieval roleplay.

Honestly, it’s fine that LoTC isn’t medieval anymore. The Middle Ages were boring. Women couldn’t paint. Most towns didn’t have sewers. There was no upward mobility for anybody. The average man was legally enslaved to his lord’s farmland as a serf and couldn’t even keep all the crops he grew. Let’s embrace that we’re past the Middle Ages. Lets have some ******* guns.

Edited by FlareGunCalamity

I don’t understand why this server allows magic but believes firearms to be the bane of all evil. 

No, Itl ruin the Medival aspect dontchall think? i mean sure LOTC doesnt have the full Women have no rights people are slaves to their lords and ladys doing whatever the **** they want but still its ment to be medival maybe indeed flintlock guns or other very first era guns but nothing too advanced ill vote to give it a chance but please for the love of god keep it a bit down

Edited by ThatDutchFellow

Techlock needs to go so communities can find alternatives to roleplay that doesn’t rely on magic. If Magic had a chance to have dumb pseudo magic guns give the rest of the community to have their chance at actual firearms / technological advancement. 

Yes, the Emperor wills it!

No, because we don’t need guns. We’ve been fine without them, what’s the point of addin’ them now?