Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

I will agree that any firearm RP would need an intense moderation or even soft techlock process to trial. I’m not interested in seeing the existing bandit communities being tied with firearms – but my standing issue is that players are actively banned for tastefully roleplaying these things within their own communities.

Part of what makes LotC great is its lack of standard. Unlike the countless pretenders – we don’t have any meaningful server canon to base off of. If we were a Lord of the Rings server, a Game of Thrones server, a Berserk server, or a Warhammer Fantasy server, we would have died out ages ago, as our mechanics aren’t interesting enough to justify being trapped within an IP. Our success comes from our open creative platform. A player on LotC can take anything from the world they find fascinating, and flesh out their own vision of it on the server, to test it and see if its creatively successful. Up until maybe 2014, this was an immensely liberal standard. I remember roleplay a 12th century knight and 14th century Slavic boyar against the Warhammer 40k-esque Teutonic Order, complete with death spires, power armor, chainsaws, and weapons of mass destruction. As much as those conflicts were OOCly aligned as well as RPly – I’d never had wanted those players banned for attempting a standard different from my own. If you disagreed with a standard, you came up with a roleplay reason why to distance yourself from it, not demand bans and staff investigation.

It was immensely more fun, nuanced, and original than the Dreadlander conflicts I roleplayed post tech-lock, where the same cycle of medieval bandits/pagans invade in coalition with the same reference images for years on end. I want to capture that spirit of innovation again, and I would want to see it done thoughtfully and tastefully, and above all else, not punishable by staff mandate, because I think anything less is insulting to what LotC is fundamentally about. 

3 minutes ago, Will (TauFirewarrior) said:

Turning this into “Our community vs their community” is a really mature and well minded way of going about this debate, I am predominately an Elf and I couldn’t give a **** if humans get guns. Now wipe the dribble off your chin and use your brain when engaging in this debate.

Here is my thing, despite magic itself being incredibly boring and useless, to the point where people aren’t even scared or amazed by it anymore in roleplay, humans can’t even learn it properly. Humans live incredibly short lives, and while getting T5 in any magic takes around 20+ years, it will leave the user with a physically weak body. Humans legit are stuck to only doing slice of life roleplay. There is zero inventing that we can do without hitting a techlock, and opening up flintlocks is the only viable option for us to move forward. This isn’t even a debate at this point, it should be straight facts that someone has re-discovered the uses of gunpowder if we legit just raided a fort with grenades and explosive powder in it. Ridiculous.

1 minute ago, ReveredOwl said:

Same with magic tbh. The powergaming argument is incredibly stupid. If people powergame you report them like you do normally.

This. I never got to choose to reject all the 100 million dumbass CA creatures and evil event monsters we had added down the years just because I didn’t want to interact with them. No regard was given for my view of the “setting and theme” when dozens of different kinds of magic where added and the mage population ballooned out of control(there were legitimately like 5 mages total early on in the server). No regard was given for our regard of the "setting and theme” when cat-people were added. Those things ruined the medieval setting far more than weapons which were already beginning to see their first use at the tail-end of the medieval period. 

2 minutes ago, JuliusAakerlund said:

I personally don’t like firearms but i’d also fight to the death for your right to have them if that’s what the server wants. That is the responsibility we take on as staff members. We are here to serve the community and to do right by them. That’s just my piece on it ?‍♂️

A noble gesture my man, I wish all staff members were like you, thank you!

We are already losing sight of what it is to a medieval fantasy Roleplay server. This will just drag us further from GOD's light. I vote no.

No, It’s a Medieval RolePlay, It wouldn’t fit to have Firearms for LOTC.

1 minute ago, Will (TauFirewarrior) said:

Not speaking mechanically because lets face it most mechanical combat on this server is dead and its just gonna continue to die due to the server instability. The only thing that matters in this debate is CRP, since that is basically the only way conflict will occur from now on. I already stated my position of just put some rules and buff magic a bit because despite your comment about “Sole Elven Mage”, as far as I can see Magic is absolutely gimped, but at the same time I would like the standard of magic to be raised to make magic magical.

Okay, let’s take mechanics out of it and take this only in respect to CRP. Still no more powerful than a crossbow. And I’m sure, if guns were introduced, that the ST would add in all sorts of provisions for CRP with them – no pre-loading, a minimum number of emotes to ram the bullet down the barrel, etcetera.

A lot of the magic RPers who are incredibly hostile to this idea (And who are particularly vocal on this thread) fundamentally misunderstand the reasons why most people who want firearms want them. It isn’t to get an edge over people in CRP. I don’t know how many times we have to make that clear. 

It is simply a matter of people wanting a different flavor for their RP. That’s it. It is purely cosmetic – there is nothing utilitarian about it.

If this was any other purely cosmetic topic where somebody wanted a different flavor to their RP, detractors from that would have no real right to complain. All they could really do is take a policy of avoiding and not engaging with it. But because it’s this hot button firearms issue suddenly it concerns everyone who has a forum account. 

By the way: 

8 minutes ago, bungo said:

This entire thread is people complaining about things that will not affect them. A gun is as strong as a bow or crossbow mechanically however a great deal of these people complaining can conjure a comet to obliterate me.

I personally feel that matchlock muskets would work fine. Primitive, experimental and unreliable gunpowder weapons are great for RP, and you can’t powergame with them, really-wandering around with a loaded matchlock or flintlock is impossible, the former because of the necessity to have a burning wick, the latter because the powder would escape the pan, so it’s just as easy to enforce RP-reasonable emote requirements to fire muskets. Besides, muskets are a really cool part of a ~~fifteenth century-analogous battlefield, and as a military-rp fan I would love to see pike-and-shot formations clashing.

Just my two cents.

No. It’s a fantasy server. Anyone who says we’re nearing the 1800s and should get more tech need to understand that we don’t line up our timeline with the real world’s, and the real world has been around a lot longer than 2020 years. Either way, this is a fantasy server. We’re like Lord of the Rings or Elder Scrolls and stuff like that. 

So yeah. In my opinion, guns don’t belong on this server. That’s my personal opinion. Don’t like the idea. 

Firearms have existed simultaneously alongside bows in the same settings within both fantasy and reality.

One example of a fictional world employing this in a balanced manner is Warhammer Fantasy. Many players on LotC have taken inspiration from this setting where gunpowder weaponry is deployed with and against bows, crossbows, magic, and monsters.

fgB07GT9iJSrm1XP9F4UGPk2eCuk9ItJIo5yrkEC3Y-o7ue7owEPQTy7-BB4yjt9yBfzRTDoGrmEjAIakOxs5F7a2do_nXLE5tRGmNU3p068syEHCzN9oFYrkcBnJXjYJ5j0JMka

One historical example is eastern Europe between the 16th and 18th centuries, where Russians, Poles, Turks, and many more saw bullets and arrows on the same field. Haense, which has a deep history tracing from old Raevir lore including cossacks, could find direct inspiration from these real settings.

UlzNTpBxKVFzRhBx8fFrh3odnGvQ59TqgnbBQ2f1msl1eEC-EPEk6vjxjLdV0HfKrJqPiMkOQi5iq5QbFrzIUCqls1b29gSBF_mnfMHOCMi6znWvdnbTLT015ehnMt0KU-jwjWhA

Just now, Arundlt said:

Here is my thing, despite magic itself being incredibly boring and useless, to the point where people aren’t even scared or amazed by it anymore in roleplay, humans can’t even learn it properly. Humans live incredibly short lives, and while getting T5 in any magic takes around 20+ years, it will leave the user with a physically weak body. Humans legit are stuck to only doing slice of life roleplay. There is zero inventing that we can do without hitting a techlock, and opening up flintlocks is the only viable option for us to move forward. This isn’t even a debate at this point, it should be straight facts that someone has re-discovered the uses of gunpowder if we legit just raided a fort with grenades and explosive powder in it. Ridiculous.

Thank you for engaging your brain, full disclosure that most non-humans do not learn magic and fewer still only learn combat magic. So framing the debate of “Well the non-human communities have this magic” when its hardly comparable to the destructive force of firearms. However I am as prior mentioned open to the debate should there be proper systems put in place to limit or not allow insta one shot kills that would be powergaming.

2 minutes ago, LotsOfMuffins said:

No. It’s a fantasy server. Anyone who says we’re nearing the 1800s and should get more tech need to understand that we don’t line up our timeline with the real world’s, and the real world has been around a lot longer than 2020 years. Either way, this is a fantasy server. We’re like Lord of the Rings or Elder Scrolls and stuff like that. 

If you want guns, go to School RP. 

Elder Scrolls which has airships btw. 

And no the server timeline doesn’t line up with the real world timeline. Because we’ve had magic guns, magic robots, magic atomic freaking bombs. We’ve gone to 21st level tech and beyond with magic, but we can’t even reinvent cannons(which we had back in 2012 btw) without magic. 

If you guys seriously cared about the “original theme” of the server, all these magic abominations. Johannesburg literally getting hiroshima’d ruined the setting of the server far more than reskinned crossbows(also been around in 2012) ever would.

8 minutes ago, Arundlt said:

Humans live incredibly short lives, and while getting T5 in any magic takes around 20+ years, it will leave the user with a physically weak body.

Deity magics do not have this effect. Certain dark magics have other effects.

Small nitpick, but personally I think human Paladins would be a cool thing to see on the server.