Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

Just now, Evonpire said:

Sometimes new players will completely ignore any sort guidance as regardless of what we do people will still slip through the cracks and ignore our guidance, if you need proof of that, check applications accepted vs new players guidance ((Found here we are required to offer new player gudiance)). What I’m saying is, it’ll only end up causing more powergaming problems that no one should have to deal with in the first place.

And saying regarding the reporting part, I’m moreso implying I want proactive then reactive when I say that. Since guns are a whole other mess on it’s own with the mentality around them, and personally I feel they currently only fit in one nation who’ve been the primary driving force behind forcing them on everything and would make no sense in the rest of the server. And if it’s a “reskinned crossbow” why do we need them when we just have normal crossbows which as noted by other people and myself already have problems.

Why do we need 20 different types of magic?

Why do we need elves? Or orcs? Or Halflings? Humans can do all those.

There in lies the problem, we make these things for FLAVOR! Everyone wants something a little different, we want to use flintlock muskets that are no different than crossbows because we would like to improve, expand upon and make roleplay better. 

Surely if we can have such an extensive broad ammount of lore on this server a sliver of that can be spared for some reskinned crossbows that a vast portion of the playerbase so desperately want for roleplay. 

8 minutes ago, LotsOfMuffins said:

No. It’s a fantasy server. Anyone who says we’re nearing the 1800s and should get more tech need to understand that we don’t line up our timeline with the real world’s, and the real world has been around a lot longer than 2020 years. Either way, this is a fantasy server. We’re like Lord of the Rings or Elder Scrolls and stuff like that. 

Exactly. We don’t line up our timeline with the real world’s.

Because we’re actually more advanced than Europe was in 1764.

Many of the systems humans use daily in slice of life and political roleplay didn’t start developing into the same efficiency that we have them until the 1800’s, like bureaucratic taxation offices and city planning committees and public sewers and capitalist markets. Cities and towns were mostly governed by their local guilds or nobles in the Middle Ages, and while the power of those two groups was by 1764 starting to wane, they were by no means already entirely replaced. At this time in the real world, the vast majority of Europe was mercantilist, kings heavily wrapped up in consolidating their power from feudal lords so that they could tax and raise armies on their own. Meanwhile, Enlightenment philosophy had only just begun to put pressure on the monarchy to give land owning citizens a voice in their own government. There was no question of who to elect to run the taxation system or to govern their capital, because those bureaucracies didn’t exist yet, and even where they did, there was no voting on them.

The political roleplay that happens in oren is far more radically modern than a musket would be. There is no clinging to an aesthetic of medieval role play at this point. We should just commit to what we’re actually roleplaying.

If firearms are to be added they should be extremely basic, like cannons and AT MOST rudimentary muskets that although deadly have a very high chance to miss. Firearms render all armour essentially useless, having them being widespread would fundamentally change LOTC.

3 minutes ago, howard said:

wood elves will be expected to use zulu spear and shield tactics to defend themselves from musketmen

nah man if guns get accepted prepare for some viet cong level **** from us.

Just now, Sarven said:

If firearms are to be added they should be extremely basic, like cannons and AT MOST rudimentary muskets that although deadly have a very high chance to miss. Firearms render all armour essentially useless, having them being widespread would fundamentally change LOTC.

This can be achieved by introducing matchlocks, maybe flintlocks, and restricting the tech progression so Rifling is not developed in the setting.

I do think firearms should be introduced into the server. I can see it attracting more players, and opening more rp opportunities at the same time. But I also think it should be a slow development to firearms, seeing as how dangerous they are, and how they could turn the tide of battles. Something more exclusive for a while, to test the effects of firearms, and if that goes well, then slowly ease them into the server. 

3 minutes ago, argonian said:

The same new player can also one emote snipe you with a crossbow or a bow, as they’ve been able to do for the entirety of server history. Why would muskets suddenly make it a bigger propblem? 

It simply adds another outlet to do so, a more attractive one.

Mainly because people are going to meta-game one way or another, it doesn’t make much of a difference to implement such a feature as there can be countermeasures created as situations arise.

Yes (2).jpg

Edited by JustAnotherLW
Detail.

Just now, Sarven said:

To everyone afraid of a slippery slope, where shitty matchlocks will lead to machine guns: Most human conflict is settled by PVP. The only way to represent a gun mechanically is with a crossbow. So unless Minecraft starts adding AK-47s, you’ll never have to worry about people trying to push for those to be added. Crossbows with the no pre-loading IRP rule has worked just fine for 8 years, the same will work just fine for guns.

You’re no more likely to get 1 emote sniped by an idiot than you currently are and have been with bows and crossbows for the last 8 years.  

1 minute ago, Sarven said:

For the record, I’ve been working with the LT actively to discuss and come up with ways to make Muskets something fair and scalable within the context of LotC and roleplay as a whole.

The making of them would be a feat that you’d need an application and a teacher for

There would be limits to how many you can make each week (all firearms would have to be signed by LT for approval through the use of RP and then logged somewhere)

And I cannot stress this enough, Muskets of any sort are not as strong as you think they are. There’s a strong case to be made as people have listed before that things like crossbows and muskets coexisted on battlefields specifically because of the fact that unless you have a lot of gunpowder and the technology to make it, you won’t receive an intrinsic benefit of using it over a crossbow. The end result is effectively the same with either of them.

Naturally I vote yes

Just now, Evonpire said:

It simply adds another outlet to do so, a more attractive one.

I could argue the same with all the magics. Each new magic is a new attractive outlet to powergame. Should we remove them all because people could theoretically one-shot you if they powergamed and broke all the RP guidelines? No? Then why hypocritically apply that line of thinking to guns? 

i can’t wait until there are like 50 people with the trademark “blown up hands”
maybe with the surplus in hook hands we can also have pirates with the shitty self-destructive boomy boom guns

Edited by Whiplash

1 minute ago, argonian said:

I could argue the same with all the magics. Each new magic is a new attractive outlet to powergame. Should we remove them all because people could theoretically one-shot you if they powergamed and broke all the RP guidelines? No? Then why hypocritically apply that line of thinking to guns? 

A magic requires an MA, and is heavily regulated. If Guns of any sort are put with a extremely similar regulation maybe I’ll change my outlook.

Edit: Magics too have some times to learn combat spells even, and as well have the teacher to be held accountable if the new magic user screws up, which a Gun won’t have if it’s done freely. I’m done for now, I’l reply to whatever y’all say in a hour or two.