Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

Just now, Evonpire said:

A magic requires an MA, and is heavily regulated. If Guns of any sort are put with a extremely similar regulation maybe I’ll change my outlook.

Your whole point is about people ignoring the rules. If I’m going to ignore the rules and powergame, I’ll just use my magic without an app. You’re assuming people will ignore powergaming rules, but follow application rules??? These hypothetical people are willing to break any rules when it comes to PG, but doing anything without properly applying for it is the one line they would never dare cross? 

I’m not sure these absurd hypothetical people actually exist. 

I think Firearms would be a great addition, if it were firearms that weren’t too advanced. Maybe like muskets and flintlocks, that take a really long time to emote reloading, so it might be like a once a fight kinda meme, that’d be cool

2 minutes ago, Evonpire said:

A magic requires an MA, and is heavily regulated. If Guns of any sort are put with a extremely similar regulation maybe I’ll change my outlook.

cbc72c3a86cc6788e5ead5cd223dc3b7.png

The Lore up for consideration requires gunsmiths with applications that can take on a limited number of students the same as magic, heavily regulated by the staff to ensure quality. 

I see a lot of magical/elf focused roleplayers coming out of the woodwork to bemoan the loss of “medieval fantasy” that would come with accepting firearms or whatever. But what part of the medieval setting were you actually roleplaying? Widespread disease? Theological arguments? The rise of manorialism? A guild-based economy? No “medieval” roleplay is actually taking place in these elven role-playing groups. The parts of the ostensibly “medieval” setting that they prefer are unique to no particular era, and do not require a techlock to maintain.

No one is going to come in and stop you from roleplaying an elf in a fantasy elf city growing out of a tree. That is not an argument being made. You do not need an exclusively “medieval” setting to do most of the roleplay you currently do, from wearing armor to living in a castle. There’s no reason you can’t roleplay that, and someone else can’t roleplay being a colonial musketman. It’s silly.

Why does it seem like the server gradually just goes down the actual history path. Why can’t we have someone who really really wants guns in the server to come up with a unique idea that fits in with the lore? This isn’t a historical RP server, it’s a fantasy RP server. I understand that yes, there needs to be some sort of technological progression but I think we’re at least a couple hundred years away from inventing guns in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Evonpire said:

This is quite literally the solution right here. Heavy regulation on who can bear firearms and shaming of those whom break those regulations.

2 minutes ago, howard said:

I see a lot of magical/elf focused roleplayers coming out of the woodwork to bemoan the loss of “medieval fantasy” that would come with accepting firearms or whatever. But what part of the medieval setting were you actually roleplaying? Widespread disease? Theological arguments? The rise of manorialism? A guild-based economy? No “medieval” roleplay is actually taking place in these elven role-playing groups. The parts of the ostensibly “medieval” setting that they prefer are unique to no particular era, and do not require a techlock to maintain.

No one is going to come in and stop you from roleplaying an elf in a fantasy elf city growing out of a tree. That is not an argument being made. You do not need an exclusively “medieval” setting to do most of the roleplay you currently do, from wearing armor to living in a castle. There’s no reason you can’t roleplay that, and someone else can’t roleplay being a colonial musketman. It’s silly.

This. Also, reminder: D&D has firearms. Doesn’t make it any less magical nor any less of a fantasy.

Edited by Ciaran

1 minute ago, Shmeepicus said:

Why does it seem like the server gradually just goes down the actual history path. Why can’t we have someone who really really wants guns in the server to come up with a unique idea that fits in with the lore? This isn’t a historical RP server, it’s a fantasy RP server. I understand that yes, there needs to be some sort of technological progression but I think, given that crossbow’s were just removed from the techlock means were a couple hundred years away (if not more) from guns if they are in-fact going to be added.

Crossbows have been in use since 2011

This poll is poorly phrased and should probably be discarded. Ppl read read firearms and may not understand that it means simple flintlock guns, not revolvers or anything more advanced. In role play it makes perfect sense to begin advancing the setting. It provides new and interesting role-play, that does not need to alter peoples experiences if they want to avoid it. 

At least if guns get accepted I’ll finally have a place to do my Bright RP.

bright-992x560.jpg

b31bce38f1e5381b631d7a4c52_YyAxODA1eDEwM

5 minutes ago, Shmeepicus said:

Why does it seem like the server gradually just goes down the actual history path. Why can’t we have someone who really really wants guns in the server to come up with a unique idea that fits in with the lore? This isn’t a historical RP server, it’s a fantasy RP server. I understand that yes, there needs to be some sort of technological progression but I think, given that crossbow’s were just removed from the techlock means were a couple hundred years away (if not more) from guns if they are in-fact going to be added.

We’ve had crossbows since Asulon dude. People have been RP’ing them for the last 8 years.

5 minutes ago, howard said:

Atheists celebrating their same-sex marriage in their egalitarian tribal society before a space-demon comes in to ruin it all are truly living the “medieval” theme of the server. 

5 minutes ago, Ciaran said:

THIS, also reminder: D&D has firearms. Doesn’t make it any less magical nor any less of a fantasy.

Exactly. You can have all of the set dressing of a medieval fantasy world and all of the guns of a future technological unreality. That’s just Warhammer. There’s nothing fundamentally contradictory about these two ideas.

If people are worried about contending with guns in combat roleplay, just remember that superior tactics led the Zulu (with no metal armor much less the full array of medieval weaponry elves have) to victory against a technologically advanced empire with rifles and machine guns. One major barrier to the European colonization of Asia and Africa was that early firearms were not particularly effective in asymmetrical warfare, and superior tactics and understanding of the terrain outweighed the technological advantages of colonizers.

This translates well into LoTC’s mechanical combat too: More skilled fighters with superior discipline regularly beat better-armed groups with weaker discipline. We could add guns and it would still be less effective than clicking, because it’s minecraft and everything is less effective than clicking.

“given that crossbow’s were just removed from the techlock”

idk who said this, but crossbows have been a thing for legitimately forever. just fyi. we just now have a mechanical rep that isn’t a bow.

1 hour ago, Hanrahan said:

Roleplay Rules

All Musket Weapons (Rifle, Blunderbuss, Pistol) must be built In-Game via Roleplay by a Gunsmith (A station that can be entered via application.) who will generate a Named and ET/GM certified item.

To Roleplay using a gun, you Must have the MC Item or the RP will not be considered Valid.

Musket Roleplay Steps

Withdraw a Cartridge, and Bite the tail off. Half Cock the Musket, Open the pan and pour half the powder charge in. Shut the pan.

Lay the Musket upwards, (Rifle Butt on the Ground, Pistol up into the air) and pour another powder charge down the barrel. Insert the Bullet into the Barrel. Push the Cartridge Paper into the Barrel.

Remove the Ramrod and push the Bullet and Paper into the breach. Put the Ramrod back. Lift the Musket, and pull back on the Dogshead (Flint Holder, Cock it.)

Fire!

Musket Rollplay Steps

As RP isn’t perfect, and a verdict cannot always be agreed upon - There is a system of Rollplay to fall back on if an agreement can’t be made.

If the Shooter is 10+ Blocks away, roll for Accuracy.

0-10 is a Miss.

10-15 is a Hit.

15-19 is an accurate hit.

20 is a Critical hit.

If the Target is at close Range, 2 Blocks away or less, you do not need to roll to hit. Instead, Roll for damage. 

0-10, normal damage.

10-19, high damage.

20 is Critical damage.

When you fire a Gunpowder weapon, you must announce over #s 

[!] A Gunshot echoes over the Landscape. [!]

Flintlock weapons were horribly inaccurate and therefore I believe anything below a 15 should be a miss. I can agree with everything else in here though.