Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

Personally I think that doing this would ruin part of the fantasy atmosphere of the server. It is intended to be a medieval high-fantasy style world, and I think technology advancing beyond a certain point takes something away from that. Remembering back to 3.0 there were constant powergaming issues surrounding cannons and other simple gunpowder-based weaponry. Even crossbows and similar cranked weapons took a couple years of powergaming and constant complaints to get clear cut rules established about how they can be used. It would take a lot away from my experience if firearms were added to LotC. 

To those of you who argue that sewers didn’t exist pre-middle ages – ever heard of the Romans?  Arguing that guns should exist because sewers are present in Helena is plainly stupid.

6 minutes ago, Taketheshot said:

Crossbows have been in use since 2011

My bad, made a change to reflect that.

Just now, Chris (Acaele) said:

Personally I think that doing this would ruin part of the fantasy atmosphere of the server. It is intended to be a medieval high-fantasy style world, and I think technology advancing beyond a certain point takes something away from that. Remembering back to 3.0 there were constant powergaming issues surrounding cannons and other simple gunpowder-based weaponry. Even crossbows and similar cranked weapons took a couple years of powergaming and constant complaints to get clear cut rules established about how they can be used. It would take a lot away from my experience if firearms were added to LotC. 

Dungeons & Dragons is High Fantasy and yet they have firearms, taking nothing away from the genre it’s adhered to for nearly 50 years.

3 minutes ago, FlareGunCalamity said:

Yeah I know, crossbows and bows cant pen Plate armour, even point blank, fire arms would be essentially be extremely powerful so they’d need a hefty counter balance

My my my, firearms our old friend.

Theme of the server:

LOTC has evolved at this point to mean very different themes to very different people. For some, its a high magic fantasy realm, others a gritty witcher-esque world, others a wild frontier, some politics simulator, and so on and so on.

The argument afforded by people about the ‘theme’ of the server is quite frankly dismissive of a sub-section of the playerbase. The player base gets hardly any say on anything any one else gets to do anyway, and the vast vast majority of nations on this server are not ‘medieval fantasy’. Thats the witcher. We have High Fantasy kids.

Powergaming:

Same issues as crossbows, introducing them won’t mean more powergaming, just the same people with crossbows will be using guns.

Drive-bys:

These are matchlock single shot rifles. A) Good luck shooting them on horseback (possible but stupidly inaccurate without rifling), b) Driveby crossbows? Again, just reskinning the issue.

Techlock progression:
This is the ONLY thing I would be worried about. Firearms are, by and large, going to be innovated upon by the server. The step to guns is a large one, introducing new skills like rifling is not (and yes, people will moan that it is, but current LOTC smithing methods tend to the ridiculous anyway, pocket watches???)

Solution:

There is rhree:

1. No guns – Very divisive and some people will moan and some be smug
  2. Limited guns – My head works like discworld, one mad craftsman makes a handful of guns. This would make no one happy (personally my fav actually)
  3. Gun gun gun – Welcome to Crafthammer kids! Really play some warhammer and tell me that the guns REALLY are much more OP than elven bowmen? No? Thanks.

Personal opinion:
For the rp opportunities I prefer 2, as this would mean half the people on the server will start to fight for one of these rare items. However, this has no way of being un-biased in who gets them. So I prefer 3. Why not 1? Because as people said: This is basically a reskin of a crossbow (”oh they have issues” yes, but adding guns changes the word crossbow to gun).

Personal note:

This is a rambly post with hastily typed words, I will have holes in my logic so please don’t attack me as a person. Thnx.

10 minutes ago, howard said:

I see a lot of magical/elf focused roleplayers coming out of the woodwork to bemoan the loss of “medieval fantasy” that would come with accepting firearms or whatever. But what part of the medieval setting were you actually roleplaying? Widespread disease? Theological arguments? The rise of manorialism? A guild-based economy? No “medieval” roleplay is actually taking place in these elven role-playing groups. The parts of the ostensibly “medieval” setting that they prefer are unique to no particular era, and do not require a techlock to maintain.

No one is going to come in and stop you from roleplaying an elf in a fantasy elf city growing out of a tree. That is not an argument being made. You do not need an exclusively “medieval” setting to do most of the roleplay you currently do, from wearing armor to living in a castle. There’s no reason you can’t roleplay that, and someone else can’t roleplay being a colonial musketman. It’s silly.

There honestly hasn’t been any genuine “medieval” fantasy on this server since maybe 2015. 

I see no reason why weaponry such as muskets, flintlocks, cannons or magical variations of any of those could not exist in LotC.

It would be no different than magic or a crossbow, three to four emotes including pulling it out, loading it, aiming it, and firing it. No-preloading.

1 minute ago, Nozoa said:

Guns have NO place on a fantasy rp server.

[laughs in wh40k, dungeons & dragons, et cetera et cetera]

No. Just because other settings have guns doesn’t mean this setting needs guns. Especially when there are already enough issues with powergaming and misunderstandings with the weapons we already have. Keep things simple, and keep with the existing vibe.

That being said. This is just my personal preference. If firearms are the will of the people, then so be it.

21 minutes ago, Shmeepicus said:

I understand that yes, there needs to be some sort of technological progression

There really doesn’t need to be.

Cannons good. Hand cannons bad.

13 minutes ago, howard said:

[laughs in wh40k, dungeons & dragons, et cetera et cetera]

[laughs in this server isn’t wh40k, dungeons and dragons, or etc. etc.]

That being said, if we are comparing other fantasy settings let’s keep something in mind. Warhammer 40k is set 39,000 years ahead of ourselves in our IRL timeline, so comparing Wh40k to this server is beyond ridiculous.

I’d say no, for 2 main reasons.

Firstly, gun crp would be awful. It would boil down to emoting pointing, shooting, and then firing, rolling to see the result, and then doing that over and over again. Guns, especially of the flintlock variety that seems to be the most popular proposal right now, are far more powerful and deadly than either bows or crossbows. The common response to this from the pro-gun crowd is that we’ll just nerf them to be as powerful as crossbows, but I don’t really think that this is an adequate solution. For starters, it breaks immersion and makes no logical sense, because lead balls sent at breakneck speeds out of a barrell towards a target, (or in the case of a blunderbuss/shotgun dozens of them), would deal far more damage than a simple arrow fired from a bow, and it would be very hard to properly emote the damage caused by it without either making it ridiculously good or just subtracting from the weapon entirely. Second-off, the term crossbow is very vague, and can refer from anything to a very heavy and powerful siege crossbow to the lighter, less powerful versions, and I’d feel it would need to be clarified.

Secondly, I feel as big a thematic change as adding guns needs far more support (just going off of this poll) then it currently has. The main argument in favor of guns, as it currently stands, is to let people rp how they want and give them a theme that suits their purposes (That, and the time argument, which, IMO, should not be relevant. Its a fantasy medieval server, and we should not have cars and ak-47s a year from now, we should implement changes that fit with the theme/wants of the server and playerbase). But the fact of the matter is, that adding guns would bring about a huge thematic change to lotc, as almost everyone and their mothers would want to get their hands on them. If more than half of the server is not in favor of it, they should not be forced into complying with such a major shift as implementing guns would cause just because of a minority/slightly bigger other half.