Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

This seems like an awful idea-- Lord of the Craft is advertised as a medieval fantasy roleplay server-- firearms take away from this element that I’m sure more than half the playerbase actually play for.

Lord of the Craft should stay a medieval fantasy roleplaying server-- if we keep unlocking more tech, this thing will be a high-school roleplaying server soon enough.

40 minutes ago, Shmeepicus said:

[laughs in this server isn’t wh40k, dungeons and dragons, or etc. etc.]

That being said, if we are comparing other fantasy settings let’s keep something in mind. Warhammer 40k is set 39,000 years ahead of ourselves in our IRL timeline, so comparing Wh40k to this server is beyond ridiculous.

he said that “guns have NO place on a fantasy rp server.” I gave counterexamples. Obviously LoTC isn’t warhammer, but was that the argument we were having?

14 minutes ago, blackhand7 said:

For starters, yes, plate armour, or at the very least a shield, can deflect arrows and bolts fired from crossbows and bows on the lower end of the spectrum relatively easily. And, this is also kind of in response to your second point, bullets do more damage than arrows. Your argument here is the equivalent (although a bit exagerated) of saying that getting hit by a high-speed train and getting stabbed by a knife are the same, because you’ll end up dying either way. The danger with guns is that they are vastly more powerful than bows or crossbows, and can kill you far quicker than a bow and arrow can. 

Your own video showed that you’re only going to be deflecting crossbow bolts if you’re outside of #s distance. So no, your plate-armour is not deflecting a crossbow bolt in CRP, and you’re not gonna have the reaction speed to dodge one once it’s been fired either. So the “no dodging/blocking” issue applies to them just as much. 

12 minutes ago, camocat9 said:

This seems like an awful idea-- Lord of the Craft is advertised as a medieval fantasy roleplay server-- firearms take away from this element that I’m sure more than half the playerbase actually play for.

Lord of the Craft should stay a medieval fantasy roleplaying server-- if we keep unlocking more tech, this thing will be a high-school roleplaying server soon enough.

Careful with the Slippery Slope. Also, make sure you’ve got the terminology down to a tee. Is it a High Fantasy server or a Medieval Fantasy server? Because Medieval Fantasy as a genre (otherwise known as Historical Fantasy) has it as a signature trait to lean on the side of realism by employing our historical middle ages as a basis for referencing everything from technology, culture, society to mythology. By the technicality of its definition, Lord of the Craft would continue to be a Medieval Fantasy, if not become even more of one, by including early medieval firearms in the setting.

Edit:
To this I should probably add that medieval aesthetics are a staple of most fantasy sub-genres. What people commonly think of as “Medieval Fantasy” is often High Fantasy, while Medieval Fantasy proper could be referring to Historical Fantasy or Low Fantasy – both of which Lord of the Craft is most assuredly not.

Edited by Ciaran

I feel cannons and the like should be available as they’d provide a fun mechanic. As for guns, you could likely implement primitive firearms, such having a possibility of backfiring upon the wielder. They’d be more powerful than bows and crossbows, but would also take a lot longer to load.

7 minutes ago, argonian said:

Your own video showed that you’re only going to be deflecting crossbow bolts if you’re outside of #s distance. So no, your plate-armour is not deflecting a crossbow bolt in CRP, and you’re not gonna have the reaction speed to dodge one once it’s been fired either. So the “no dodging/blocking” issue applies to them just as much.

My video never showed crossbows, nor bows, penetrating plate Armour. They hit their targets by aiming around the plate, and going for the exposed parts. In fact, it actually shows them bouncing off of the armor at 20 yards.

Edited by blackhand7

4 minutes ago, blackhand7 said:

My video never showed crossbows, nor bows, penetrating plate Armour. They hit their targets by aiming around the plate, and going for the exposed parts. In fact, it actually shows them bouncing off of the armor at 20 yards.

This would be a more accurate demonstration of different types of crossbows being fired at a proper piece of plate armor.

1 hour ago, KosherZombie said:

This poll is poorly phrased and should probably be discarded. Ppl read read firearms and may not understand that it means simple flintlock guns, not revolvers or anything more advanced. In role play it makes perfect sense to begin advancing the setting. It provides new and interesting role-play, that does not need to alter peoples experiences if they want to avoid it. 

We don’t want either flintlock or not. Just no guns in general. LoTC doesn’t follow IRL years.

Edited by Legoboy7984

I don’t really care much for guns, but I think we need to view this debate from a certain perspective. 

Guns would certainly be jarring to some, but in the same way that certain types of magic or robot golems would be to others. It’s all a communal thing. If we allow guns, we’re realistically looking at a change in human culture that probably wouldn’t extend too far beyond that, since, as this thread alone is clearly testament to, not everyone wants guns. If anything I think this is a distinctive cultural elements humans would benefit a lot from.

We should also appreciate this from a world-building point of view. The main reason guns became popular, and phased out traditional medieval weaponry and warfare, was because they were far more effective than those traditional methods. But, as everyone’s agreed on this thread, LotC’s timeline has no correlation to the real world. So we do not have to write guns as being vastly superior to traditional weaponry. We shouldn’t at all. They could be deliberately kept on par with crossbows, bows and magics as a purely aesthetic and cultural flair for communities like humans. Long-lived races like Elves have the years, and a more cultural association, to build up magics, so it’s natural that they’d prefer a route like this. Humans, with shorter lives and a greater devotion to advancement, are more likely to take the technological route. It makes sense irrespective of IRL timelines.

One of the selling points of LotC is that it’s always been a server where you have a lot of creative freedom, and I think that should include guns. Again, we’re not looking at a widescale thematic revolution – not by a long shot. At best, this is a cultural aesthetic for mainly human communities, a lot of whom would find certain types of magic and magic technology to be similarly jarring.

I am rather neutral On this. While firearms would be a rather interesting addition to LoTC, If we go with the primitive versions of  old muskets and pistols, Being the matchlock and Flintlock. I’d have to say it might bring out some new sides to people. Granted it’s about as useful as a crossbow at the same time, the thought of at least expanding out the techlock even by a bit in terms of weaponry could be rather interesting. Though yes yes the Whole “Guns op get out of here.” comments are going to barge down my door. The thought of at least minor firearms or even gunpowder in fact can also have properties outside of just shooting things. I e possibly explosives for clearing out mines, though granted as that is a double edge sword, Having something a bit new intigraded to the weaponry can give out a different play style.If we go on the magical sense despite some magic are a bit... judgemental in terms of how to get it. It also displays another path for players to partake in inside your standered “Array” of choices many people took.

For a negative well, I can also see firearms being heavily abused. And No i’m not talking about the gun trigger happy groups or bandit groups,ect. I’m saying in general. though this will open new techlock opportunities to the lotc community as a whole. It also might be needed to be tested a fair bit in the opens waters of how people could abuse it to, since we all know at least 1 person is going to try and powergame the hell out of a gun. I e the armor piercing of a bullet if it connects or the “Sizzling hot smoke at point blank.” It has it’s benefits and flaws. So I hope to see how well if this does get implemented to the server it would need to be heavily moderated and tested.

I personally am not a big fan of the idea of gunpowder or handheld firearms in LoTC due to the fact that it could be exploited so easily. Imagine someone walking around with ten flintlock pistols strapped onto their body and just starting to fire in any direction. Of course the debate here is what types of firearms would be allowed and how they’d work.

Firearms are cool and I get that but they are the exact reason why plate armour became useless in history. So yes we would be able to make new characters based on gunpowder but at the same time you’d make people such as knights useless. I am not that big of a history person so I don’t know how strong the weapons exactly were but the concern is still there.

4 minutes ago, Legoboy7984 said:

We don’t want either flintlock or not. Just no guns in general. LoTC doesn’t follow IRL years.

Who said it should? Guns weren’t invented in 1760.

Oh and we’ve had railroads and indoor plumbing since 1300 in LOTC btw

3 minutes ago, Phoenixshot3 said:

Firearms are cool and I get that but they are the exact reason why plate armour became useless in history. So yes we would be able to make new characters based on gunpowder but at the same time you’d make people such as knights useless. I am not that big of a history person so I don’t know how strong the weapons exactly were but the concern is still there.

A key thing to remember is that guns are definitely not going to be written as superior to traditional weapons. It’s going to be aesthetic, and that’s pretty much at it. We’re all in agreement LotC’s timeline has no correlation with the IRL timeline, and so in the spirit of that, there’s no need for our guns to be as powerful as real-world firearms. 

4 minutes ago, PrinceJose270 said:

For a negative well, I can also see firearms being heavily abused. And No i’m not talking about the gun trigger happy groups or bandit groups,ect. I’m saying in general. though this will open new techlock opportunities to the lotc community as a whole. It also might be needed to be tested a fair bit in the opens waters of how people could abuse it to, since we all know at least 1 person is going to try and powergame the hell out of a gun. I e the armor piercing of a bullet if it connects or the “Sizzling hot smoke at point blank.” It has it’s benefits and flaws. So I hope to see how well if this does get implemented to the server it would need to be heavily moderated and tested.

Not too sure where this concern over techlock opportunities is coming from.

Techlock’s always been fairly strict, and guns, because of all this controversy, would be implemented really cautiously and they’re not going to affect the stringency with which the techlock is enforced. It’s not going to be case where today we have guns and we come back tomorrow and somebody has snuck atomic bombs past the techlock.

I say no, I have fought over this countless hours with the team writing it and they shrugged off every complaint nonchalantly, like they’re doing in this topic here. I do not want guns in my roleplay, and there is little you can do to stop me from trying to stop you. 

My main issue with it now is that the Orenian playerbase wants it badly and will probably go to all lengths to get it, so hopefully the new Story Admin @Riftblade takes a nice long look at this thread and sees it’s not black and white, and doesn’t buckle to the overwhelming pressure probably being exerted by the human angry mob. There will be a lot of pushback if he lets the tech lock slip.

Regardless, it will need full admin permission to break the tech lock. Telanir will never in a million years approve guns, so good luck. 

2 minutes ago, Phoenixshot3 said:

I personally am not a big fan of the idea of gunpowder or handheld firearms in LoTC due to the fact that it could be exploited so easily. Imagine someone walking around with ten flintlock pistols strapped onto their body and just starting to fire in any direction. Of course the debate here is what types of firearms would be allowed and how they’d work.

That’s not why knights became extinct as a social class and it isn’t why warfare was changed forever, muskets and armor coexisted at the same time and armor of the era proved effective against them