Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

i’d like gunpowder weaponry, expand a new field of roleplay horizons in a server that has been stuck with the same setting for the past 5 years. can be implemented without shattering the whole fantasy aspect of lotc also

gUnS dOnT bEloNg iN fAnTasY

R27BjQyB7p8E_YlwRQ4oikSFuah8agTuUoEmI0kK1569cG6X_Pr9NCMj5z79qVvl_Ly6jXgOrSCzITiVuh2Dx9966YkDgiMsx439D8AK475p3CSCgWsIEkHHI_cG82TW-GamoGYW

gUnS dOnT bEloNg iN fAnTasY ?

3 minutes ago, EmbryoGod said:

That’s not why knights became extinct as a social class and it isn’t why warfare was changed forever, muskets and armor coexisted at the same time and armor of the era proved effective against them

Of course I knew there was a period where they coexisted, my concern is merely that if we let guns come through now it might evolve into the era where they do go extinct. Once the step is taken some people will just continue to fight over it until it will become like the colonial ages.

Just now, Phoenixshot3 said:

Of course I knew there was a period where they coexisted, my concern is merely that if we let guns come through now it might evolve into the era where they do go extinct. Once the step is taken some people will just continue to fight over it until it will become like the colonial ages.

The LT have regularly retconned things that start getting out of hand, that was the entire original point of the Techlock. They have the authority and power to reverse it if they feel like people are abusing it. We have an entire system of moderators whose job it is to catch people and prevent them from powergaming things.

Not to mention the massive leap you have to make in metallurgy and technology in order to actually get to a point where you have things like lever actions, spitzer type ball ammunition, and even tube loading firearms

I mean, if you guys who want guns could stop attacking the players who say no to your idea that would be pretty sweet.

1 minute ago, Phoenixshot3 said:

They started to go extinct when rifling and more developed muskets became a thing. I believe the point of no return would be flintlock technology, but since flint and steel are a thing already it’s hard to lock those out should firearms be allowed with only matchlock.

Basic guns should be added and would be a great feel for the server

2 minutes ago, Ciaran said:

They started to go extinct when rifling and more developed muskets became a thing. I believe the point of no return would be flintlock technology, but since flint and steel are a thing already it’s hard to lock those out should firearms be allowed with only matchlock.

Well the problem was more that it became cheaper for a centralized government to just arm people with guns instead of having feudal lords train for years and years and years on horseback. Centralization and changing political climates resulted in the loss of knights, because they weren’t economical in any capacity for a modern government at the time. If you took a knight and plopped them down 1800 on a battlefield you’d still be hard pressed to kill them.

Logistics killed the knight, not the combustion mechanism of the firearm. That changes in the late 1800’s when you get smokeless powder and guns can have WAY more pressure in the chamber and bore.

There’s this misunderstood notion that there’s a huge leap between the effectiveness of a matchlock and a flintlock, when in reality they would’ve used almost identical powders. In fact most of the early flintlock guns were just matchlocks that were refitted to take a flint on the cock.

It’s a shame guns or innovation will never be a thing. Movement on techlock with something like this opens up the potential for tinkering/invention roleplay and may even encourage some staff endorsed version of ‘innovation’ and research that players can undertake. I just find that naturally for humans, the development of weapons or some sort of ‘plate-busting’ weapon is natural in a war-faring advanced society. For we are at the point and abundance of LotC where anyone can take full-plate and basically be immune from any and all projectiles, this includes magic.

Naturally, if guns were released with ‘higher’ power, then the neutering of magic would also probably be reversed and power would be granted back to them. This is probably what alot of people who want guns don’t want, and people who dislike guns would love. It’s really not some abstract concept to try and get some sort of primitive fire-arm on LotC. We moved from a medieval based server a very long time ago, as long as we don’t break that era of the early 1800s in regards to ‘innovation’, I feel like we can comfortably implement these into the server without that much punishment.

And there’s a point where people can’t blanket statement the abuse of guns, when magic is the exact same concept. Where there “might be abuse and horrors surrounding it”, if we completely deny pieces on their ‘potential’ of being abused even if it would create more roleplay, then we should basically lose all concepts of magic and lore. We should just stick to mineman mechanics and just PvP, because there’s no reason to use anything because it’s not completely foolproof. Players will always abuse things, it just requires a proactive playerbase and staff team to be able to finally pull out **** that is detrimental to roleplay, like the abuse of weapons and those that will inevitably do bloods and crips ‘gang gang’ rp. (Those who do this are probably people who should be perma’d but that’s a whole other thing).

Either way, this is the admins choice. No matter what side petitions or screams the loudest. It really lies on the shoulders of the six big wigs, which I’m 95% sure that half of them don’t want to ever see guns here.

At what point was decided that the server was solely Medieval Fantasy? My memory has always seemed to serve that the server was High Fantasy in the same vein as Lord of the Rings.

The Lord of the Rings is an epic[1]high-fantasy novel

-Wikipedia, literally the first line

The server has been through multiple different variations on the concept of High Fantasy with most of the races not being medieval. Humans have been the main medieval society on the server for nearly 8 years. Every other race has been able to tease with different variations on this in high fantasy fashion such as the elves and dwarves practicing electorial societies for an incredibly long time (dwarves since atleast 2012 when the noble clans merged, possibly before this which I’m sure older players could contribute one way or another to this). You can count on your hand how many elven kingdoms have followed through with “medieval” settings, the only elven playerbase that has consistently held to the notion of royalty is the Snelves to the best of my knowledge. Dwarves have been teetering on the edge of a steam age for years and have on multiple occassions fought for the being able to have cannons after it was taken away from them in the Teuton v. Dwarf war 2012 (due to a non-dwarven GM heavily abusing it to single-handedly win the Warclaim for the Teutons). Orcs have almost consistently been in a tribal state instead of medieval. Every new groups ends up taking on its own unique flavor, why restrict others just because that flavor isn’t for you.

The notion that this opens up the server to more powergaming is absurd. Powergaming will happen regardless of the technology available. It’s not unique to weaponry, its an issue of individuals knowing what they are doing is powergaming and choosing to do it anyway. We’ve seen this with preloaded crossbows and mages who try to melt armor in single emotes. Powergaming is a player choice, not a consequence of the tools they used when doing it.

If you can still accept roleplaying on the server even though some people play bipedal cats, frogs, and apes then you can accept humans walking around with wigs and muskets. This sort of OOC restricting how others stylize there roleplay is why you see the community so heavily segregated and against one another.

2 hours ago, Luciloo said:

This is the wrong attitude to have.

If you’re so starved for RP or intrigue throwing more toys at the problem won’t solve it. In fact it will encourage the introduction of poorly-implemented, half-baked ideas to fill the gap, only to be quickly forgotten about a few months later, and then for a number of issues to crop up later. That’s literally where a whole bunch of issues with magic come from.

How is it the wrong attitude? To push the technology forward, to invent and innovate in RP? You’re thinking inside of a box with the possibilities that can be accomplished, and not putting faith in the players to figure it out for themselves. 

The wrong attitude would be to lay down and not let my thoughts be heard. That would be the wrong attitude. 

3 minutes ago, EmbryoGod said:

Well the problem was more that it became cheaper for a centralized government to just arm people with guns instead of having feudal lords train for years and years and years on horseback. Centralization and changing political climates resulted in the loss of knights, because they weren’t economical in any capacity for a modern government at the time. If you took a knight and plopped them down 1800 on a battlefield you’d still be hard pressed to kill them.

Logistics killed the knight, not the combustion mechanism of the firearm. That changes in the late 1800’s when you get smokeless powder and guns can have WAY more pressure in the chamber and bore.

There’s this misunderstood notion that there’s a huge leap between the effectiveness of a matchlock and a flintlock, when in reality they would’ve used almost identical powders. In fact most of the early flintlock guns were just matchlocks that were refitted to take a flint on the cock.

My question for this is how is LoTC going to keep that from happening, sure we dont have to spend years training ourselves because its just rp but what WILL keep us from going down that same path? having the knowledge or useage of it for a select group of people like some magics circlejerked before?

4 minutes ago, Phoenixshot3 said:

My question for this is how is LoTC going to keep that from happening, sure we dont have to spend years training ourselves because its just rp but what WILL keep us from going down that same path? having the knowledge or useage of it for a select group of people like some magics circlejerked before?

We have an entire structure devoted to that happening. You need to have people who actually know what they’re talking about steer the discussion so we can cut out the bullcrap. I understand your concern with powergaming and steering the lore somewhere you don’t want it to be and that’s totally fine it’s a valid concern. I just think we’re getting ahead of ourselves and speculating about something that might not happen. I personally have faith in the LT to be able to say “how about we don’t have sniper rifles and lever actions and revolvers”, their techlock works even now. The techlock won’t be removed, the boundaries would be pushed just a little bit farther to give everyone the opportunity to RP something new and unique to their nation states.

Also as a side note I’d be far more concerned with someone propelling a fireball at my head to light me on fire and choke to death than someone shooting me when I’m in full armor from a musket, in fact I’d rather take a shot to the stomach from a musket than have a fireball thrown at me

EDIT: I said the S word and that’s a no no changed it to crap

Edited by EmbryoGod

1 minute ago, EmbryoGod said:

We have an entire structure devoted to that happening. You need to have people who actually know what they’re talking about steer the discussion so we can cut out the bullshit. I understand your concern with powergaming and steering the lore somewhere you don’t want it to be and that’s totally fine it’s a valid concern. I just think we’re getting ahead of ourselves and speculating about something that might not happen. I personally have faith in the LT to be able to say “how about we don’t have sniper rifles and lever actions and revolvers”, their techlock works even now. The techlock won’t be removed, the boundaries would be pushed just a little bit farther to give everyone the opportunity to RP something new and unique to their nation states.

Also as a side note I’d be far more concerned with someone propelling a fireball at my head to light me on fire and choke to death than someone shooting me when I’m in full armor from a musket, in fact I’d rather take a shot to the stomach from a musket than have a fireball thrown at me

You’ve got a valid point there, I always saw LoTC magic like something that could be countered by being smart, using different types of weapons or just smacking a mage before they did cast something. My general question now is how do you counter a rifle regardless of what type it is? How can a non-magical or non-rifleman oppose it?

Just now, Phoenixshot3 said:

You’ve got a valid point there, I always saw LoTC magic like something that could be countered by being smart, using different types of weapons or just smacking a mage before they did cast something. My general question now is how do you counter a rifle regardless of what type it is? How can a non-magical or non-rifleman oppose it?

The same way you stop someone with a crossbow or bow, you stab them with a sword or shoot them yourself. They’ll more than likely shoot you, but if you’re wearing virtually any protection you’ll be fine minus probably a bruise or a broken bone or two, and then when they start trying to reload you stab them. It’s no different with a crossbow