Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

3 hours ago, Will (TauFirewarrior) said:

Turning this into “Our community vs their community” is a really mature and well minded way of going about this debate, I am predominately an Elf and I couldn’t give a **** if humans get guns. Now wipe the dribble off your chin and use your brain when engaging in this debate.

Bit toxic much, ya numpty? 

I have not been on this server for very long compared to alot of people. But in my opinion cannons should be allowed for war claims and the like, just as luci comments with cultural variants. The Smaller Arms however are a odd thing, becuase you give some players a gun and say ‘one inch’ they will run with it for a mile. I think that via heavy rp, one would be able to construct a hand cannon, but it would be large, require 2 people to load or something and have a large chance to misfire. But in general i would have to say no.

Could anyone who’s calling this a “medieval fantasy” server please tell me how their nation is medieval in any way, shape or form? Except for their soldiers having swords, which they had for thousands of years before and hundreds of years after the Middle Ages.

The only nations that were ever committed to the medieval theme of the server were Oren and its splinter states over the years, but none of them are medieval at all anymore(well at least some vassals have a vaguely medieval aesthetic, which is more than I can say for any of the other races). We’re being told that we can’t move slightly past medieval tech by people who never RP’d medieval tech/societies at all. 

Why do elves get to do the most absurd **** and orc shaman lore get to be like 50 pages of absurdity yet humans and dwarves do not get to rp the way they want to RP in ways that will likely NOT AT ALL harm any elven rpers, mostly due to the fact that there is very little crossover?

1 minute ago, argonian said:

We’re being told that we can’t move slightly past medieval tech by people who never RP’d medieval tech/societies at all. 

But see, firearms are a medieval technology.

This argument that power-gamers don’t kill people, guns kill people, is arbitrary in my mind. 

Over the past 7 years we’ve had floating fortresses, magical spells capable of wreaking mass destruction on nations and settlements, and other innovations that complement server lore and the passage of time. I think innovation is a crucial part of LoTC’s story direction alongside professions and in-character developments that pertain to individualistic tendencies and desires (self-growth) and nation-wide development such as politics and nation infrastructure. 

Muskets and pistols are not the issue here. They are not able to cause just as much power-gaming as the Human soldier who never tires and never stops reloading his crossbow or swinging his longsword in powerful strikes. Due to the nature of role-playing you have very people who understand athleticism, as role-playing tends to be a more niche hobby than playing a sport. 

Because of this people become disconnected from the reality of a situation and are unable to make the distinction between what is possible and what is not, it is why the best tool we have is communicating with one another and remaining friendly during an in-character confrontation. Our community itself should promote diversity. As stated by Aengoth above in his post, you seldom see one tool being more heavily power-gamed by another. 

There is lots of variety in how we conduct our role-play on a day-to-day basis. Personally, myself and my friends in the settlement of Aldemar adhere to our love of High Fantasy and the concept we’re actualizing is that of a noble Republic for elves in the Empire. I think if we’re integrating muskets and fire-arms of some variety, it will not discount the capabilities of a knight or a crossbow – like any tool they have selective uses. Old fashioned guns are very difficult to reload. Many soldiers affixed bayonets to their muskets in order to do real damage on the field. I saw FlyingHalfMast make the point that the capability of knights in our history in real life was a consequence of affordability and the formation of modern government systems. 

On Lord of the Craft there are Tribal Orcs, Elves, and Zug-Zugs of every variety. There’s humans who live in Sutica, and humans who dwell in the Empire – the hallowed nation for humanity that has endured on and off again for seven years like a fickle mistress – and then there are playerbases where no nation can endure because of some kind of fragility. If we can have so much variety in the characters and settings within this game, what prohibits us from having airships, old-fashioned guns, and other instruments of early technology that show progression? 

I think shunting professions role-play and the importance of these types of integrations reflects poorly on our server. If something never changes, nobody grows; this system of perpetuating monotonous norms is cyclical and could very well prove to create a very toxic environment for people to role-play in. I say we give them a trial run under a fair system and see how they work. If we can have 20 magics, we should be able to have two rudimentary guns. They even have Boomsticks in Warcraft, and honestly a crossbow is equally as abusable on our server here in Lord of the Craft.

Just now, Ciaran said:

But see, firearms are a medieval technology.

I was willing to give a little ground to avoid a 5 page argument over when exactly the Middle Ages ended. 

Oren will abuse guns for their benefit, it’s not an if situation, it’s a when situation. I agree with another poster in this forum that regulation like Magic Applications should be brought in. Gun Licenses mandated by the story team are required to own a gun, and use it in roleplay.

1 minute ago, Harold said:

Oren will abuse guns for their benefit, it’s not an if situation, it’s a when situation. I agree with another poster in this forum that regulation like Magic Applications should be brought in. Gun Licenses mandated by the story team are required to own a gun, and use it in roleplay.

How would we abuse them exactly? Are we going to declare CRP wars against everyone? 

6 minutes ago, Kid Mackin said:

Why do elves get to do the most absurd **** and orc shaman lore get to be like 50 pages of absurdity yet humans and dwarves do not get to rp the way they want to RP in ways that will likely NOT AT ALL harm any elven rpers, mostly due to the fact that there is very little crossover?

For the sole purpose that it is backed by some Orenian power group I say no. You have enough with your swords, stop trying to gain that edge.

How I imagine guns on LotC to be:

HD wallpaper: weapons, warrior, fantasy, art, dwarf, Maxi Hoy ...

How they’ll actually be

2 Dwarfs, 1 Gun | Ross Smith - YouTube

Make something fun and interesting for the (majority of the server) people that don’t play magic.

Even if it’s just a reskin of a crossbow that does the same amount of damage, it creates a means for craftsmanship roleplay and story development, which will also have a tangible effect on the currently pointless server economy.

@Archipelego 250 replies and you don’t even gain 20 rep... bad rep farm buddy

1 minute ago, argonian said:

Holy ****. You’re so self-unaware it’s physically painful to read.

I’ve replied to literally dozens of posts in this thread, whereas you’ve literally not made a single point yet(other than vaguely alluding to Oren abusing them, without explaining how), and yet you call ME the one ignoring points? Actually unbelievable. 

He’s well on in his years, try not to take him so seriously. He’s probably already forgotten that he came to Oren a few months ago because Fenn died due to incestuous ooc stagnation.