Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

1 minute ago, ARCHITECUS said:

He’s well on in his years, try not to take him so seriously. He’s probably already forgotten that he came to Oren a few months ago because Fenn died due to incestuous ooc stagnation.

Left pretty quickly because it was boring, guns won’t help you to have interesting RP. 

Guns have no place in LoTC, and you can’t change my mind on that so please stop personally attacking me for my viewpoint!!!

I don’t know how many times this question needs to be asked, but considering tech-lock is being clarified i guess it’d come up at some point.

In the 1700s, the Dark Lord Sauron was being defeated at the Battle of Gwathlo... yet Lord of the Craft in the 1700’s are advocating for gun rights... I might as well start playing Benjamin Franklin right?

Gunpowder should be able to be utilized in sieges like cannons, siege equipment, bombs, etc but otherwise upgrading to firearms changes a whole dynamic of how combat works. There is more challenge in testing another’s strength with shield and blade compared to the norm being strangers on opposite ends  blasting at each other with rolls, reloading, and blasting again until they either make the kill off the initial blast or just go into melee combat anyway.

I think there’s a lack of understanding that we already have dynamic weapons we can get in the game with a dynamic combat system but it’s utility is deflected for the depth of magic and role-play combat. Though I honestly believe combat and conflict are already in use of a major overhaul so it might be a bit unproductive to create something new for combat when there hasn’t been a solution for current issues.

Lock this thread, we've all aired our shitty opinions, it's very clear there will not be a census on this topic, so drop it. 16 pages of back and forth is no good for anyone.

9 minutes ago, Harold said:

Oren will abuse guns for their benefit, it’s not an if situation, it’s a when situation. I agree with another poster in this forum that regulation like Magic Applications should be brought in. Gun Licenses mandated by the story team are required to own a gun, and use it in roleplay.

How? 

Harold, you can powergame using a medium-to-large pebble if you want to. Ban powergaming and abusing, not different flavours. 

The essence of your argument is ‘don’t like ‘em’ and you’re coming up with these pretty flimsy and easily refutable reasons to hide that. That’s something that really bothers me about the opposing contention here – it boils down to nothing more than ‘don’t like ‘em’. Well, there’s heaps of things on this server that I don’t like and even the majority don’t like.

If guns were introduced they would be a solely cosmetic introduction, and a heavily regulated one at that. That’s all anyone in the pro-gun camp is actually arguing for. It is the sort of thing other player-bases have readily available to them (the ability to choose their own creative direction, within reason) and nobody bats an eyelid. You do not have to engage with guns any more than you’d have to engage with crossbows which presumably you don’t have a problem with, and likewise I don’t have to engage with the myriad of abysmal lore on this server, nor do I even get a say in it.

1 minute ago, Vorgraven said:

Lock this thread, we've all aired our shitty opinions, it's very clear there will not be a census on this topic, so drop it. 16 pages of back and forth is no good for anyone.

“THIS ISNT GOOD! EVERY POINT I MAKE THE EVIL ORENIANS DEBUNK AND REFUTE IT!

I WILL VOTE NO BECAUSE I DONT LIKE OREN! I DONT CARE ABOUT POINTS OR REASONINGS!

LOCK THIS THREAD NOW!”

I mean, this is not an argument of logic. I don’t care about guns on LoTC therefore I don’t want them, it’s as simple as that. I voted no, I’m telling everyone I know to vote no. I hope it doesn’t pass the admins and yall wasted hours of your time trying to bully those in this thread who opposed you. So pathetic. 

6 minutes ago, Vorgraven said:

I agree with the lack of a census on the topic, so long as people continue to be misinformed and base their arguments on a lack of understanding of the relevant terminologies, objects of debate, literature, history, and fantasy sub-genres. There have been many instances in this thread of a common ground being attempted to be established by contributing information so people know what’s up. I don’t think it’s all “shitty opinions”.

Edit:
Rather, saying they’re shitty opinions is a disservice to the on-going discussion.

Edited by Ciaran

That's not why, you have slinged mud at eachother in SIXTEEN pages before this, sit down.

3 minutes ago, Harold said:

I mean, this is not an argument of logic. I don’t care about guns on LoTC therefore I don’t want them, it’s as simple as that. I voted no, I’m telling everyone I know to vote no. I hope it doesn’t pass the admins and yall wasted hours of your time trying to bully those in this thread who opposed you. So pathetic. 

You tried to accuse us of abusing a system if it was to be implemented man, why would we not retort that? Thats not just voicing your opinion, thats coming here looking for a fight. If anyone is pathetic it’s you.

25 minutes ago, Harold said:

Oren will abuse guns for their benefit, it’s not an if situation, it’s a when situation. I agree with another poster in this forum that regulation like Magic Applications should be brought in. Gun Licenses mandated by the story team are required to own a gun, and use it in roleplay.

oogla boogla big bad Oren

Every time you grant the players a step they take a mile.

Example, thanium.

A material used to cool and for golem. Players walked around the redlines and make a nuke.

Dont add guns

1 minute ago, Pyro™ said:

oogla boogla big bad Oren

hey dude been awhile nice to see you

I think the main issue people seem to have with it is powergaming, from scanning through some of the comments. My 2 cents on the matter is:
Powergaming is against the rules.
Firearms wouldn’t make powergaming easier or harder.

You can powergame with a sword.
You can powergame with a rock.
You can powergame with magic.
You can powergame with just about anything.
Hatersgonnahateguns.parchment

That’s just my own subjective opinion on the matter.

Irl the Pope banned guns for civilians so i don’t see why the Emperor/King or whoever couldn’t do the same.

Give at least shitty guns but stop with the trains and wigs.

1 minute ago, Vorgraven said:

That's not why, you have slinged mud at eachother in SIXTEEN pages before this, sit down.

So far, I’ve seen people propose to limit firearms to early 13th and 14th century matchlocks and some early 17th century flintlocks, the latter of which appear to be the point of contention and source of most of people’s concerns. However, I’ve also seen the majority of those opposing the introduction of firearms to lack an understanding of not only what the differences between High Fantasy, Historical (aka. Medieval) Fantasy and Low Fantasy are, or that firearms are a medieval weapon that is therefore compatible most fantasy sub-genres, not to mention already featured prominently in some of the staple fantasy role-playing games in the modern world. To this we can add a lack of understanding of the capabilities and intricacies of archery, crossbows and said medieval firearms.

You can’t have a proper discourse unless all those involved are properly informed on the subject matter. Personally, I’ve tried to contribute in that department. Where is the mud slinging in that?