Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

3 minutes ago, Hiebe said:

Every time you grant the players a step they take a mile.

Example, thanium.

A material used to cool and for golem. Players walked around the redlines and make a nuke.

Dont add guns

Which was because an admin was trigger happy and over-embelished an explosion for people. So people took that precedent and started trying to create nukes because “the admins allowed jberg it must be allowed”. That went completely out of control because of mistakes of staff endorsement. We can't continually hold the server back and not trust them, or people will continually just find loopholes if they aren't given the ability to roleplay things fairly and properly

Harry Winter approaches the gates of Oren with a rudimentary musket in hand...

AK-47.jpg

11 minutes ago, Harold said:

I mean, this is not an argument of logic. I don’t care about guns on LoTC therefore I don’t want them, it’s as simple as that. I voted no, I’m telling everyone I know to vote no. I hope it doesn’t pass the admins and yall wasted hours of your time trying to bully those in this thread who opposed you. So pathetic. 

No, actually, pretty much everyone else actually defended their views and made logical arguments. You just screeched about angry human mobs trying to abuse things and told everyone you “wouldn’t repeat” the arguments you never actually gave, and managed to turn it into a ****-slinging fest. And now of course you play the victim. Classic crybullying from you. 

1 minute ago, Hiebe said:

Every time you grant the players a step they take a mile.

Example, thanium.

A material used to cool and for golem. Players walked around the redlines and make a nuke.

Dont add guns

Gotta disagree with this, this was a one time event that was approved by an admin. This wasn’t something I pulled out of my ass it was something carefully rp’d out an admin approved. If you have any issue with it direct it at staff, not the player base.

1 hour ago, Hanrahan said:

gUnS dOnT bEloNg iN fAnTasY

R27BjQyB7p8E_YlwRQ4oikSFuah8agTuUoEmI0kK1569cG6X_Pr9NCMj5z79qVvl_Ly6jXgOrSCzITiVuh2Dx9966YkDgiMsx439D8AK475p3CSCgWsIEkHHI_cG82TW-GamoGYW

gUnS dOnT bEloNg iN fAnTasY ?

this is where I lost interest in what you guys had to say on anything related to this argument, there is no point arguing or trying to explain something to a brick wall. Doesn’t listen.

2 hours ago, armajesty said:

In my opinion firearms hardly make sense with the server. It’s not a medieval server where we are advancing with time as if it was present day, it’s a fantasy role play server. Imagine Gandalf with flintlock.

Imagine Gandalf with fireworks...oh wait...

Worst case scenario you can use slings like the Romans did, with bullet-shaped lead projectiles to pierce through plate armor all the same.

Edit:
Actually, a little quick research on the interwebs shows that they’d be just as effective as some 13th century firearms, save for the part where those guns could create a fist-sized hole on their way out of a body or surface they hit. All you need is a projectile of the right mass and shape which could even be stone or some metal, not necessarily lead, and a long enough spin radius with your throwing arm or sling staff. You can punch a nasty hole through 20 gauge steel that way.

Since slings are safely covered within the current techlock, with the earliest surviving ones IRL dating back to
2500 BC, I don’t see what people are complaining about. They are quicker and easier to “reload”, far more accessible and cheap than firearms but noticeably more skill-demanding. As it stands, at least in practice, you’ve already got firearms in the setting. Have fun.

Edited by Ciaran

Guns could be exactly the same as crossbows, but just look different, and people will still scream about the potential for powergaming or immersion breaking. We can have robots, but lord forbid guns. 

You know what’s more immersion breaking than a piece of metal that throws a tinier piece of metal out of its barrel? The s-req we got a few moments ago asking about a half Halfling half olog child. 

Guns are fine. A gun is literally whatever the **** the writer decides it to be. The people crying about immersion breaking and the like are doing so based on the word “gun” alone. You can easily create a fantastical style gun aesthetic if you put half a thought into it. There’s no reason for them to break the setting’s immersion. 

Also there’s hardly any “fantasy” elements found in most human cities anyways. Most of them are just 1700 style larp towns. Throwing guns into the mix would be more immersive than anything else. 

24 minutes ago, Harold said:

I mean, this is not an argument of logic. I don’t care about guns on LoTC therefore I don’t want them, it’s as simple as that. I voted no, I’m telling everyone I know to vote no. I hope it doesn’t pass the admins and yall wasted hours of your time trying to bully those in this thread who opposed you. So pathetic. 

At least you’re honest about it and don’t try to veil it in faux concern.

This should be held up as the stock standard attitude of many of the people who are against lifting the techlock, because it is really telling and pretty selfishly insidious.

9 minutes ago, Harold said:

this is where I lost interest in what you guys had to say on anything related to this argument, there is no point arguing or trying to explain something to a brick wall. Doesn’t listen.

It’s unfortunate that some people here actually want to achieve something and your here wasting their time by trying to cause problems.

1 minute ago, Esterlen said:

At least you’re honest about it and don’t try to veil it in faux concern.

This should be held up as the stock standard attitude of many of the people who are against lifting the techlock, because it is really telling and pretty selfishly insidious.

I spent days discussing this with the creators in a discord made to discuss it. Days. None of the ideas put forward we’re taken into account, it was a massive waste of time and a foregone conclusion already at that point. Nothing anyone says on this thread will make any difference to the lore or the way they are implemented if it passes, and the heavy backup doesn’t make it any easier. Please ask yourself why you have to defend it so, if everuone wants it as you say. 

Lmao, just reading some of this. Pro Gun guys, you’re really not gonna win over people from the elves when you keep personally attacking a playerbase despite anonymous voting and clear signals that the people who don’t want guns come from every playerbase and vice versa. Also magic is gimped, stop pretending it’s powerful and that guns is some kind of counter when a light breeze can stop a caster from using magic.

I have fairly strong opinions and always will. This server is not the place for firearms or gunpowder based weaponry.

- My biggest concern, once you open the gates to modern technology there will be an increased push towards furthering the agenda of breaking the tech lock. That is to say, once we invent guns, it’s only a matter of time until we invent steam engines (which I believe we might already have a form of), electricity, etc. etc.

- It would render many lore items completely useless, magic being the biggest example of this. Firearms, overpowered as they are, would ruin the special guidelines in place to allow a character to become overpowered, so to speak. With magic you can effectively be as powerful as a man wielding a gun, but you have to go through hoops to make sure not all characters are able to just blow up anyone in a mile radius.

-As previously mentioned, the potential for powergaming is too great. There is no way to counter a musket ball, and therefore a legitimate CRP encounter could and would never take place, as the fighters would be dead in minutes if not seconds of the fight beginning.

-The overall feeling of the server would completely change. I see many places, specifically Oren/Helena, pushing for this colonial vibe, which I personally find dull and out of place, but that is a personal feeling, if I don’t wish to RP in the colonial area I will simply go somewhere like Morsgrad with a more medieval feel. The problem with introducing guns is that the medieval fantasy feel would be completely lost on the server, all corners would be affected by it and eventually forced to adopt it out of, at the very least, self preservation.

As one counter argument to the arguments I have heard saying things like “it only makes sense in the year 1800 we would have guns.”

-To this I would like to say, this server is not based in a BC/AD timeframe. It’s a completely different calendar in a different world from our own. Even after 1800 years we would not be out of place as a fantasy setting to not have this type of weaponry. Lord of The Rings itself is set around the year 3,000. Tech locks only make sense to keep the feel of the server alive and not shift it into something that, going off the poll, over half the people do not want to see.

One additional proposal to the staff is this: 

- I think we should do a reset of the calendar, and start back over from a year somewhere in the 500-1000 range, so people do not get mixed up in associating the real life year with the IRP year.

I am not sure who to ping about that final suggestion so I’m just pinging the OP @Archipelego

1 minute ago, Harold said:

I know u are but what am I 

See this is just exposing your points for what they are, petty childish remarks aiming to get a rise. 

No wonder you are of no importance to this server anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Harold said:

I know u are but what am I 

Not an adult, that’s for sure.