Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

1 hour ago, Man of Respect said:

if guns are implemented why not also add tanks and helicopters?

That is silly. We do not want guns and helicopters. We want early primitive firearms. Our playerbase, which is roughly half the server, as evidenced by the poll so far, enjoys this style and thread of roleplay. We are exploring a new space. Human roleplay on lotc has been, for a decade, little more than castles and swords and kings. We are entering novel territory. There is a Senate, and a gigantic metropolitan capital, and a civil government, and elections, and all of these developments. It is not modern. It is actually quite an old genre or theme. This is comparable to 13th, 14th, 15th century European life. 

That was a lot of reading. Cool.

So, for the people who know who I am (and also searched my lore submissions, what a treat), it's likely one knows what my answer is. I'll give a better response tomorrow when I'm able to type more, but a spark notes version would be:

Guns, cool, we as a community can shape it to fit the aesthetic and be balanced. Honestly, I want cannons more than anything, but I mean -- handheld shooty sticks? Risk vs reward (RISK OF RAIN BOYS), and possible new avenues to do role-play? (I see you Oren nobles trying to settle feuds about getting cucked or being slighted somehow, I see you). Sounds like a fun time. Though I see validity in the argument against guns too. 

I'll get to this tomorrow. Hope everyone is doing alright in the midst of what's going on!

Your friend, and possibly lover (hit me up on that discord you know what I'm saying),

P.S maybe it's time to write another lore post. I like powder but I also like other nonmagic aesthetics. Me alchemy ungabunga monkey who violate techlock and make people mad and sad. ME HOARDER so watch out, hehe

My reason to agree with this application of gunpowder weapons is simple. Flintlocks, cannons, arquebus and other variants of early gunpowder weapon exist and regularly used during our context of time, which medieval time. 

I think cannons and such could be great for rp visuals and such. Cannons on the walls and battlements of forts could be incredible. In WCs I think they could still work, though they’d need a very hefty cost. For handheld rifles, I think that the most basic of weaponry could work. Anything past 1699 is a no from myself, but something with a long reload time, a good chance of missing, and perhaps a small chance for misfire could be successfully implemented. My only fear is that once this gets approved, what’s next? Skyscrapers? Atom bombs? Laser weaponry?  Overall it’s a cautious yes from myself, but it’s certainly a difficult decision.

lol everyone acting like guns will kill their immersion 

but we all know if guns get added, nothing will happen

everyone will forget about commenting trash arguments

everyone will forget about this thread

and the people saying ‘no’ will start using them

guess I’ll just start doing driveby horse crossbow rp now, thanks for the idea 

If this gets passed it’ll be entertaining to see all the deadshots that can’t get a good grouping at 50 yards with modern firearms at the range.

“Sights must be off.”

Edited by CosmicWhaleShark

6 hours ago, Esterlen said:

“We don’t want guns because they’ll ruin the fantasy theme!”

[Names countless other fantasy worlds where guns are present in a fantasy theme.]

“Well we’re not those worlds!”

Seriously? It’s pretty clear that the point is that guns can co-exist with a fantasy theme. There’s manifold examples of it being done. So why are we still on this false narrative?

No, we obviously don’t line up our timeline with the real world’s. But I don’t understand how this is even an argument against introducing guns, so I think that you might be missing the point. No, we don’t have to line up with the real world’s...but after nine IRL years of RP, of course it is fair to say we should have some technological progress. 

It’s completely ridiculous – we have countless over complicated demigods, creatures and bizarre niche magics that nobody really understands or has any interest in. Nobody consulted me before introducing them. It was a slow drip of addition after addition. Why now is the right of players to have their particular view of the server (Whether that’s LotR, etc) preserved suddenly sacrosanct?

So as for being like Lord of the Rings or Elder Scrolls, that’s your opinion, not the actual reality of the situation. Everybody has a completely different view on what we are ‘like’ – why does what you want it to be take any precedence over someone who wants something more like Warhammer Fantasy? 

I’ll respond to this in the morning.

I think guns should be allowable depending on the specific type. Blunderbusses, muskets, and flintlocks are all good examples of a balanced weapon to implement. Single shot, terrible accuracy, loud and smokey (no one is going to NOT notice that someone fired a weapon), long and painful reloading process, and take a lot of time to produce. Similar items of explosive goodness would be mortars and cannons, also balanced in their own right, and completely useless if they’re not used for siege purposes or naval purposes.
So my gist on the matter; yes, as long as we use only single-shot, inaccurate weapons that only have a chance to kill. Do not however, implement automatic or semi-automatic weapons WITH accuracy, weapons which could easily be powergamed.
Though of course powergaming is easily doable in the field of firearms, but I’m sure our good ol’ staff team can work out a way to make sure there’s a balanced system.

That is all ❤️

People still RP crossbows as OKO. They will do the same with guns despite it being against the rules. Punishment for improper or abusive gameplay/powergaming has never been consistent enough. They need emote counts just like magic.

I personally disagree with the argument that LoTC is a fantasy server, and so we shouldn’t have guns. We have swords, bows, crossbows. What makes them more fitting for a fantasy setting than a flintlock or a musket (inherently: nothing). Whats fits, or doesn’t fit, on this server is and will always be completely subjective. This is a server where we have a parasitic soul-demons and man-eating ice witches, but a gun would ruin your immersion into the server?

And to those who argue that LoTC is a “medieval” fantasy server, I think it’s completely unfair to classify LoTC underneath any distinct period of time. The lore of LoTC is constantly evolving, and much like a realistic society, the societies of LoTC are adapting and becoming what we call “more” modern. I don’t think we should restrict ourselves under the mantle of sticking strictly to being “medieval”. If there is genuine roleplay initiative for innovation and progress, then let people have innovation and progress.

This is the ideal fantasy setting. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like:

2d416449a47aa6d3dbdfb5255ac5517d.png

While I believe that scientific development on the server could be interesting, I think that there should certainly be some limits, and that adding hand-held firearms would cause a slew of issues. This may be my bias, since my primary character is a Tolkeinesque elf, but I still feel that they would cause an imbalance with archery unless implemented in a very specific manner. I believe that cannons are fine, and perhaps very limited, rare, and weak hand cannons for dwarves and perhaps humans would be okay as well, I think any sort of widely available musket or rifle would ruin the fantasy sort of feeling of the server.