Your View - Firearms on LotC

Archipelego

Your View - Firearms on LotC  

482 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in roleplay firearms have a place on Lotc?

• Yes (Comment your reasoning down below.)
    • No (Comment your reasoning down below.)

9 minutes ago, Gusano said:

Adding magic makes all else useless, it would force others to adopt magic. It affects everyone on the server.

Changing a single word is not just not clever, it’s also very clearly false. Magic is nowhere near as effective as people make it out to be, it isn’t an ultimate weapon of mass-destruction like I’ve seen suggested on this thread. 
In fact, almost all  magic can be countered by throwing a rock, or slapping the guy in one of the three to seven emotes he has to take to actually cast his spell. Not to mention magic is very closely regulated with applications both to teach and learn, each person only being able to teach three at a time, and the several-page long guides written detailing everything with said magic so it can’t be powergamed or too OP, that then goes through an extended period of review with the LT (upwards of nine months, as we have recently learned) and then finally people can actually use it.
So if you want to have something /really/ OP to complain about, ban throwing rocks. Throwing rocks makes most magic useless.

1 minute ago, Chryasor said:

Changing a single word is not just not clever, it’s also very clearly false. Magic is nowhere near as effective as people make it out to be, it isn’t an ultimate weapon of mass-destruction like I’ve seen suggested on this thread. 
In fact, almost all  magic can be countered by throwing a rock, or slapping the guy in one of the three to seven emotes he has to take to actually cast his spell. Not to mention magic is very closely regulated with applications both to teach and learn, each person only being able to teach three at a time, and the several-page long guides written detailing everything with said magic so it can’t be powergamed or too OP, that then goes through an extended period of review with the LT (upwards of nine months, as we have recently learned) and then finally people can actually use it.
So if you want to have something /really/ OP to complain about, ban throwing rocks. Throwing rocks makes most magic useless.

ok so if magic isnt nearly as effective 

make guns the same

l0l

as far as i can see humans just want guns for asthetic reasons + duels

which is cool

and valid

4 minutes ago, Chryasor said:

As mentioned previously, you won’t be allowed to pre-load guns in crp (like crossbows), meaning a normal person could also throw a rock and halt the gun. Simple solution here.

9 hours ago, Qaz_The_Great said:

If you say that a compound bow and a old bow from the 1600s are comparable you’re nuts, the materials do matter and the ease of use changes drastically between the two. The sentence makes plenty of sense now.

You’re nuts for thinking they aren’t. You can use a wooden longbow same way as you would use a compound bow. They’re easily comparable, you just don’t want to admit it. 

6 minutes ago, Chryasor said:

Thank you, you have just detailed exactly how guns should work on LoTC. Thank you for proving my point.

No guns, because they would ruin the medievalish vibe. Already been stated but I thought I'd restate it. Also, cannons would be aight.

In all seriousness, one potential implementation of guns in RP is the use of volatite (yes I know this is against the redlines of the material but hear me out).

The gun operates similarly to a matchlock, but instead of gunpowder propelling the bullet a consumable amount of volatite (the light stuff) is used instead. This is loaded into the gun similarly to the pan in a flintlock weapon, however the ‘pan’ must be removed, inserting the volatite behind the bullet, with the ‘pan’ replaced. This MUST be done to prevent the user from not blowing their face off while using the weapon.

This means we have an emote chain similar to:

1. XXXX takes a bullet from their person and inserts it into the end of their musket.
  2. XXXX removes the ramrod from the gun and begins to ram the bullet into the musket.
  3. XXXX removes the ramrod and replaces it, going to remove the cap from the musket.
  4. XXXX inserts a charge of volatite into the cavity and replaces the pan.
  5. XXXX aims at YYYY.
  6. XXXX shoots at YYYY.
  7. Roll
  8. ????
  9. Profit

This is ALOT of emotes and condensing 1 & 2 into a single emote may be preferable. Now, sourcing guns (as I posted previously) should be done from a gun smith who must be approved by ST and has the responsibility of showing the emote chain to buyers. That way, no misunderstandings should take place. Re-sale of guns would be an issue, yes, and to be honest I’m not sure how I’d fix that, but I’m sure there would be a way to halt these issues.

3 minutes ago, Gusano said:

Thank you, you have just detailed exactly how guns should work on LoTC. Thank you for proving my point.

If you think guns should work like a magic – be applied to be a gunsmith, go through a process to learn to use them, and be weak to many of the same things (Being interrupted, people who don’t run and hide but instead just walk up to you and smack you) Then yeah, sure, but I doubt that’s how it’s going to go. Simply speaking from experience with alchemy and magic and such, that has also at many times been abused in ways they weren’t supposed to.

I do also think it’s rather complicated and needless when a far simpler solution would be to say they’re just another ranged weapon. Which in and of itself is not that bad, until you think of all the current arguing with not a single soul agreeing with the power of a longbow, arbalest, “heavy crossbow” and armour, etc, etc. Everyone cites a different youtube video as proof, and then wait thirty minutes to two hours for a mod to show up and tell them to either void it or make their own decision based on a youtube video.
Flintlocks and such would only increase this issue, and many new and old to the server would entirely misunderstand what a “gun” is. Not to mention that people would almost immediatelly start to try to logically advance them along to more advanced weapons – I know this because I am one of these people, I find inventions cool, and lotc has far too few inventions for the potential there could be. Unique siege weapons from back on Axios comes to mind as some wonderful examples of this. But in this case, I don’t think it’d work especially well, as it often has not in the past. Broken alchemy and magic from also back on Axios comes to mind.

I really don't think they have a place in LOTC. That's all I really have to say.

If magic users can kamehameha me into the next century with fireballs and the other likes, I don’t see why it’s unreasonable for me to start blasting away with my AR-15. My characters will even take gun courses. 

Or at least flintlock pistols / handcannons, which is an extremely barebones firearm. 

43 minutes ago, Jamyei said:

No guns, because they would ruin the medievalish vibe. Already been stated but I thought I'd restate it. Also, cannons would be aight.

Server is long passed medieval times, humans have reached enlightenment. 

I don’t feel like it fits to our current setting.

No, they have no place on lotc. Simply because this is a /medieval/ fantasy server and I’m pretty sure the majority of the players want to experience that, and not the indutstry revolution. And not only that, sooner or later said firearms will take over the server thus lowering the playerbase... Yes I agree it would be something new, but its not LotC friendly, what will come next? WW1 trench warfare? No thank you I do not want to experience that, and many others would agree with me. 

50 minutes ago, Pyro™ said:

Server is long passed medieval times, humans have reached enlightenment. 

NEVER!! this is HERESY!!!