-=- The Firearms Debate -=-

HadvarAvMitteland

Perhaps but I can do the exact same with a crossbow, or even a dagger so I dont understand why that's a reason not to add guns.

1 minute ago, HadvarAvMitteland said:

I appreciate your response, it is way more logical and less toxic than others so thank you! I agree with you partially, not knowing that the guns were the same power level as bows and crossbow. However, I still dislike the thought of them being in lotc. Imagine saying, "Walks up to the man, placing the barrel of his gun inline with his head. He shoots at point blank range, possibly blowing his head cleanly off." It seems so stupid to me

*walks up to the man, placing the crossbow inline with his head, he shoots at point blank range, instantly killing him

literally the exact same thing except slightly less graphic 

24 minutes ago, argonian said:

*walks up to the man, placing the crossbow inline with his head, he shoots at point blank range, instantly killing him

literally the exact same thing except slightly less graphic 

Idk, just seems sus to me

Just now, HadvarAvMitteland said:

Idk, just seems sus to me

it seems sus because you’ve never seen it happen with a crossbow. because it’s dumb and if someone did it they’d get in trouble for PG and shitty RP

why wouldn’t the same apply to guns 

1 hour ago, KunLunKungFu said:

Because it gives humans something to add to their repertoire, other than a government. I also don’t know why you still participate on the server issues, seeing as you’re effectively “retired” and banned. 

If you need guns to make your roleplay interesting, then I don’t think they’re going to be used effectively and dynamically. If all that human roleplay boils down to is ‘government,’ than that might be a problem of the player and less of the server’s techlock. 

9 minutes ago, Kuila said:

If you need guns to make your roleplay interesting, then I don’t think they’re going to be used effectively and dynamically. If all that human roleplay boils down to is ‘government,’ than that might be a problem of the player and less of the server’s techlock. 

The exact same argument has been used against elves and magic. Just saying. Both arguments are equally weak. 

14 minutes ago, Kuila said:

I totally agree with this statement

1 hour ago, HadvarAvMitteland said:

Again, it isn't for me it's for my discord server. Please stop commenting if you have nothing constructive to say or wish to contribute to the debate

Weird because it almost feels like we’re on the forums ?

Guns are an aesthetic that is limited to the idea of the most powerful ranged weapon we allow. Right now, that’s crossbows, so a gun is a crossbow. We are not asking for extreme realism and opportunities to powergame, I really just want a damn flintlock rifle. I pinky promise I won’t powergame. If they’re a failed project, we can just take them out. 

3 minutes ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

Guns are an aesthetic that is limited to the idea of the most powerful ranged weapon we allow. Right now, that’s crossbows, so a gun is a crossbow. We are not asking for extreme realism and opportunities to powergame, I really just want a damn flintlock rifle. I pinky promise I won’t powergame. If they’re a failed project, we can just take them out. 

I guess if they were weaker than the guns I had in mind, it could be acceptable and maybe even fun to roleplay. I still don’t think the aesthetic fits in LoTC, just my own preference I guess. I can see how others can find enjoyment from it though, however it isn’t to my taste.

banditry is already very easy w/ just crossbows and swords. guns don’t really tip this balance too much. as for cities, raiding cities is already quite difficult when nothing stops meta rallies, huge guard blobs and gate turtling. guns, again, don’t really change this too much. just crossbows w/ a bit more loading time and a similiar firepower.

use of guns in CRP fights can be regulated, just like the use of birds, bells and horns for calling for aid. its a bump, but not a big one.

dodging bullets from a early-age musket or firearm is probably a lot easier than dodging a crossbow bolt. /roll would be the most obvious solution here, since bullet trajectories are incredibly random, unlike crossbow bolts. again, not a major issue, just one that needs some work and legislating.

tl;dr: guns are just reskinned crossbows.

whats the point of this when theres already another thread where ppl can give their opinions 

54 minutes ago, Unwillingly said:

whats the point of this when theres already another thread where ppl can give their opinions 

its been explained like 5 times

1 hour ago, KeatonUnbeaten said:

banditry is already very easy w/ just crossbows and swords. guns don’t really tip this balance too much. as for cities, raiding cities is already quite difficult when nothing stops meta rallies, huge guard blobs and gate turtling. guns, again, don’t really change this too much. just crossbows w/ a bit more loading time and a similiar firepower.

use of guns in CRP fights can be regulated, just like the use of birds, bells and horns for calling for aid. its a bump, but not a big one.

dodging bullets from a early-age musket or firearm is probably a lot easier than dodging a crossbow bolt. /roll would be the most obvious solution here, since bullet trajectories are incredibly random, unlike crossbow bolts. again, not a major issue, just one that needs some work and legislating.

tl;dr: guns are just reskinned crossbows.

you make some good points Keaton, long time no see dude

1 hour ago, HadvarAvMitteland said:

ts been explained like 5 times

oh ok its for ur discord, kinda redundant if its posted to the forums, idk what else u expected to happen 

5 hours ago, HadvarAvMitteland said:

I guess if they were weaker than the guns I had in mind, it could be acceptable and maybe even fun to roleplay. I still don’t think the aesthetic fits in LoTC, just my own preference I guess. I can see how others can find enjoyment from it though, however it isn’t to my taste.

Personally if people really don’t want guns I understand, but I won’t entertain any arguments from either side other than “It’s what we want”/”It’s what we don’t want”. The server is plenty flexible, we’ve changed many times over the years, I don’t see why another round of gun lore will be particularly disastrous.