[✗] [Magic Lore] - Telekinesis

IsaaKc

2f90326059cb27f58200bc9faafd2c9d.png

memes aside i dont completely disagree with the fact that this was nerfed to the ground, however I still believe there should be a combat utility for this magic, even if considerably weaker than its previous iteration. but then also voidal magic kinda cringe... 

not sure how to feel about this

however, it has ensured that there will no longer be any ‘Irelia-like’ roleplayers, i.e. ones where combat is only utilised via holding numerous weapons via the Telekinetic mechanism, and ‘firing’ them at super-fast speeds toward opponents, without any weaknesses to it in the original magic, lest your opponent was somehow able to wound you, causing sufficient pain to not allow you to cast.

let’s see where this goes

Alright, I just got sent to this post by someone, and I feel I should put in my two cents. Reading the other comments so far, it seems like this should be the last nail in the coffin. For clarification, I’m one of the two people (together with SupremacyOps/Fiatlux) that wrote the original TK lore.

There are many things wrong with this lorepost. I’m sorry to say it, but having this go through would kill the magic entirely. I will list my issues with this:
-Non-combativeThis is probably the biggest problem I have with this rewrite. Taking the combat-aspect of TK out basically makes it the same as household magic. The original lore was written in a balanced, non-PG way in order to have it face up against different types of magics properly, never overpowering most of them at all. There also isn't really any reason to remove the combat aspect of TK.

-The summon spellAlright so this is basically “accio” from the Harry Potter franchise. Although sure, TK has a role in such a spell, the main aspect of this feature would be voidal translocation. As the original TK lore states; You cannot control something that isn’t in your direct line of sight.

-The enchantment aspect: Enchantment is a different magic. One may be able to do this when combining TK with alteration, as I have done many times in the past, however it should never become a part of a singular magic.

-Red lines: So this: “If the average descendant could not perform the task alonge, a Telekinetic cannot.” A telekinetic, at adept/mastery level, will be able to lift much heavier things than any normal being could do physical, otherwise TK would simply become “Extended arms-magic.

-Easily self-taught: Your rewrite mentions TK being something that should be “obvious” or “easy to learn” for anyone that has voidal experience. It is however, a subset of alteration, and canonically one of the harder subjects to learn as most characters aren’t familiar with the ways gravity and momentum works. Saying it would be a “given” for anyone that understand voidal usage is simply absurd. 

I’m going to keep my response at that, hoping it’ll end this post’s discussion. If you wish to rewrite the lore again in the future using the feedback you’ve received from the others before me and myself, please contact me and Connor (Fiatlux). You can DM me on discord at MrSythaerin#4018.

19 hours ago, MrSythaerin said:

There are many things wrong with this lorepost. I’m sorry to say it, but having this go through would kill the magic entirely. I will list my issues with this:
-Non-combativeThis is probably the biggest problem I have with this rewrite. Taking the combat-aspect of TK out basically makes it the same as household magic. The original lore was written in a balanced, non-PG way in order to have it face up against different types of magics properly, never overpowering most of them at all. There also isn't really any reason to remove the combat aspect of TK.

Original TK lore was not well balanced at all and it's been abused in the past few years by players doing ridiculous feats like shooting bowling balls at arrow speed and one-shotting people in a matter of a few emotes. Magic is suppose to provide a fun and interactive RP experience for both parties, and no one likes getting one shot with magic. I don't think TK should have a place in combat anymore because it just seems like a cop out when it comes to combat magic.

-The summon spellAlright so this is basically “accio” from the Harry Potter franchise. Although sure, TK has a role in such a spell, the main aspect of this feature would be voidal translocation. As the original TK lore states; You cannot control something that isn’t in your direct line of sight.

Line of sight has always had liberties taken with it. Most passed Voidal Magic lore that has been recently submitted has mentioned that line of sight is not a requirement for most non-combative spells, because ultimately, line of sight scuffs RP.

-The enchantment aspect: Enchantment is a different magic. One may be able to do this when combining TK with alteration, as I have done many times in the past, however it should never become a part of a singular magic.

That's what it says. .?

-Red lines: So this: “If the average descendant could not perform the task alonge, a Telekinetic cannot.” A telekinetic, at adept/mastery level, will be able to lift much heavier things than any normal being could do physical, otherwise TK would simply become “Extended arms-magic.

Correct. As I want to align this under all mages as a household-esque addition, I don't want it to do anything superhuman.

-Easily self-taught: Your rewrite mentions TK being something that should be “obvious” or “easy to learn” for anyone that has voidal experience. It is however, a subset of alteration, and canonically one of the harder subjects to learn as most characters aren’t familiar with the ways gravity and momentum works. Saying it would be a “given” for anyone that understand voidal usage is simply absurd. 

It's essentially a Household Magic addition. It's not suppose to be incredibly difficult to grasp conceptually.

The original lore was written in a balanced, non-PG way in order to have it face up against different types of magics properly, never overpowering most of them at all. There also isn't really any reason to remove the combat aspect of TK.

Lol nice one buddy. Ur kinda late to april fools tho

On 4/22/2020 at 2:06 PM, Ug said:

yeah but telekenesis as combat magic is actually dogshit. Like come on, it’s just *connects 2 void *stares at sword  *sword fly out of hand!! Or just *connect>stare at rock>rock fly at someone’s head. 

Utimately. Bad magic, either remove it entirely or do.... this

that is how it was teached, not the magic it self. if I send a crossbow bold at your head you die just as quickly, if i stab you in the neck with a blade you die. its a weak spots of a body. 

17 hours ago, nepir said:

that is how it was teached, not the magic it self. if I send a crossbow bold at your head you die just as quickly, if i stab you in the neck with a blade you die. its a weak spots of a body. 

Some mage would quite literally pinpoint a sword right towards their opponent’s neck, and so what weak spot would they be able to access if they die the moment they move?

On 4/27/2020 at 2:29 PM, nepir said:

No cap that’s horrible magic roleplay. If anything, l want arrow speed removed from telekinesis.

This lore has been denied.

Lore already denied. If you believe this is incorrect, let me know.