Roleplay-Note-Taking on Crack: Searching through all of your minecraft chat logs at once.

Ilikefooddude

For several months now, greedily and selfishly, I’ve hoarded a technique that has made me, and none other, an all-powerful, all knowing and unmerciful God of LotC. This power is not for everyone. It’s definitely not free from abuse. These were the reasons I hid it from the outside world, safe in my care, and maybe I was right. But maybe that isn’t for me to decide. Forgive me for opening pandora’s box.

If you’re like me, and you have a smart character that is played by a person with the intellect and memory of a dead goldfish, you’re going to forget things your character should certainly know. Unfortunately we don’t live
in the same world as our characters, and so Boblin the Goblin, who’s lived amongst the Descendants for 200 years and has made friends, acquaintances and enemies that he’s dealt with most of his life, is piloted by a dude/dudette who roleplays maybe only a couple of hours a week these days and doesn’t remember Boblin’s wife’s sister’s name Not because Boblin’s a bad husband, but because his player had a physics test today and their brain is currently a luke-warm slurry. We Aren’t our characters, and for the times that our characters should know something, but we don’t, it can be frustrating roleplay ignorance or forgetfulness. I’m not saying doing that’s a bad strategy- Sometimes it is, in fact, the best one to take, and it’s still one I take three times out of four. But… What if you had a way to remember? What if you could choose to roleplay a character who actually seems like they live in this world, because you can actually remember events that they’ve lived through. Well. You can do that.

Instantly finding names, phrases, or emotes found in any of your Minecraft chat-logs.
By the end of this guide, you’ll be able to hit Crtl-F, type in a name, and see if it’s ever been mentioned, and when it has been mentioned, in any minecraft chat log you have. This is what it will look like.

4GjSINe.png

There are three steps to this- None of them particularly hard or requiring more than a few clicks, but all the same I’ve laid out a click-by-click walkthrough for anyone not so used to this type of thing.
1. Finding and copying your logs.
2. Creating a file to store them in.
3. Letting the .log file to be indexed.

Step One: Finding and copying your logs.
If you already know how to access the .minecraft folder and the logs folder within it, this step’s super quick. Get everything inside that and copy it; feel free to skip the Spoiler if you can do that.

Spoiler

i) Open up your start menu’s search bar and type in “%appdata%”, making sure you get this exactly right. Click on the folder that comes up.
aFWPn4S.png

ii) Inside, find your .minecraft folder (Should be pretty close to the top) and open it up.
GXuvE1E.png

iii) Once inside, find the ‘logs’ folder.
mKy0xDb.png

iv) Copy everything inside. You should see a whole bunch of .log.gz files, which are essentially .zip’s of the logs made for easy storage.
ZaQ6XB3.png

Step Two: Creating a file to store them in.
Super simple, but there’s a bit at the end you should pay attention to. Paste into a folder, unzip and change advanced search settings to search through non indexed system files and file contents (Step 4/5).

Spoiler

i) Find somewhere on your computer that you’d like this file to be. This is where you’ll be able to go into, hit ctrl-f, and look up any word/phrase from the past without having to scour through individual files. Mine’s buried in documents, but you can add it to your desktop if you’re brave enough.
Right click, go into new, and click ‘Folder’. Give the new folder a nice, memorable name.

O5gTWHf.png

ii) Paste all of your copied .log.gz folders inside. I’ve only copied a few here, but if you’ve been playing Minecraft for a while now, you’ll probably have quite a lot. Don’t worry if this takes a while.
https://i.imgur.com/zBqREkA.png[/img]

iii) Unzip them! This is probably the only tricky part if you’re not new to computers. You’ll need to install a program called 7-zip or WinZip (I prefer 7-zip personally). Once you’vegot that up and running, select all of your files, right click, and hit ‘Extract Here’ in the 7-Zip tab.

https://i.imgur.com/SbFbYeQ.png[/img]

iv) You’ll now have twice the amount of files! Half of them .logs, half of them the original .log.gz’s. Delete the originals and you’ll be left with these raw Text Documents.
While in this folder, his ctrl-f. This will open up the ‘Search Tools’ tab, seen at the top of the screenshot below. In it, click ‘Advanced options’.

BnaOWKQ.png

v) Under ‘In non-indexed locations’, tick the top two options.
Essentially, this lets you search through the contents of any indexed file even in a folder that isn’t an indexed folder. If you don’t want this option on forever, you can make your new folder an index folder, which we’ll talk about in the next step.

o6CacgM.png

Step Three: Letting the .log file be Indexed.
Trickier, but still only a few steps. Go into indexing options and add the ‘log’ filetype to indexed files.

Spoiler

i) Same as you did in the first step, search up ‘Indexing Options’ in your windows search bar. Open it up.
vMPBZeb.png

ii) This window should pop up. It’ll display a list of Indexing Locations, which you can ignore. If you want to make your log folder an indexing location like I have, though, feel free to do so now by hitting modify.
Otherwise, click the ‘Advanced’ tab.

xQDPKbe.png

iii) A list of all of the file-types that can be indexed should be there. There’s a lot. And the log file type isn’t one of them. In the ‘Add new extension to list’ bar, type in “log” and click add.
bhCcrPe.png

Iv) Find that file in the list, click on it, and make sure the second option “Index Properties and File Contents” is selected. Hit OK.

gznBZ2Z.png

v) This window should pop up after you’ve hit ok. The computer’s now changing every single .log file on your computer so that it can be searched through with the ctrl-f command. It’ll probably take a while! In the “Indexing Options” window it should have a bar that tells you how long there is to go.
U69n2Zh.png

And you’re done! Hottdamn! Go into your folder and hit ‘CTRL-F’, type in your phrase, and every single file that has that word in it should come up. Try typing in your username: Every single log should have it.
Tqtj6vz.png

Click on whichever file you want, go inside it (If it’s not already the default, open the file with ‘Notepad’) and, once more, type in ctrl-f to find where in the document that word is. And there you have it. It’ll look something like the Image posted at the top of this thread. Well done!

Edited by Ilikefooddude
Fixing Spoilers