[✗] [Magic]Clerics of Tahariae

Faewilds

I agree with you that purging in its current state is kind of stale and not a lot to work with rp wise.  Clerical purging to my knowledge has always been some sort of ritual, where the cleric takes the afflicted to a temple of sorts and preforms an exorcism style rp. Or at least that has always been my experience with the purging aspect from Clerics. The lore simply adheres to the guidelines of the shade lore in an after note simply to put that in the lore and cover the bases.  Purging works on anything that might have a curse to generate rp as well. I've also changed it in the lore itself to make it more ritualistic for how long it takes to cast as to where it needs to be cast at. I appreciate the responses everyone has given me so far and I look forward to the other constructive criticism given to try and make this piece better and enjoyable for the whole server.

clerics of a certain family ruined the image of clericalism for me
but hopefully it’ll be better this time

Edited by Unwillingly

I was paid $10 to upvote this lore, that’s £8.03       +1

Spoiler

For real though, it’s pretty cool lore. I thought having Paladins be ‘neutral’ was a bit of a cop out honestly, so having actual holy magic again is good.

Would love to see the return of clerics +1

Regardless of if it gets accepted or not, you did a great job writing this lore, @WhiteKnight_19 and I hope the clerics do see better days than what came before.

Only one thing to say here....

Proud Ron Swanson GIF - Proud RonSwanson NickOfferman GIFs

I think this community needs to pull the collective wool from their eyes and take a good look at why this magic needs to exist. Now I’m not saying that it doesn’t need to – but your backstory and origin is a tiny fraction of your post. This magic is essentially a religion – you worship a god, you gain their power, you do their bidding. But there is very little of that here. Most of it are spells and abilities.

The backstory and purpose of the magic are just as important as the balance of the powers thereafter. I know Tahariae and I know that they can give power canonically through the lore. But why does this magic need to be apart of the server? What impact does it have on the narrative? If you can build a compelling narrative lore-wise rather than a quick explanation before rushing off to the spells, you’ll prove to me and a lot of other skeptics that it’s anything more than a foil to necromancers or w/e.

damn i cant use implements in my cleric rewrite now

@Treshure

Hi there and good morning. To note when I was writing this originally I had wanted to include the the entire history and everything of the Clerics starting from their origins. However, as I worked on it, it became slowly more and more apparent that I was missing a very large chunk of their history. I do have every intention of creating a cultural post in the future. Containing all the history and everything that comes with a religion. I do thank you for looking over the lore and I’m going to look over the lore itself with the question you asked in mind as well. That way I can make this lore something that the server enjoys and try to remove the bad taste that Clerics left when they were around before. 

Not bad! I do agree though that Chi and Kana should be incompatible with the lore for balance reasons. Additionally, a character with something like Clerical Magic should really dedicate themselves to it as much as possible. Having something like Kani or Chi, while not inherently soul-altering or having any links to deities, still diverts one’s attention from the art of Clericalism itself even if it is just a few additional spells.  Regardless, I wish you luck! +1

7 hours ago, WhiteKnight_19 said:

@Treshure

Hi there and good morning. To note when I was writing this originally I had wanted to include the the entire history and everything of the Clerics starting from their origins. However, as I worked on it, it became slowly more and more apparent that I was missing a very large chunk of their history. I do have every intention of creating a cultural post in the future. Containing all the history and everything that comes with a religion. I do thank you for looking over the lore and I’m going to look over the lore itself with the question you asked in mind as well. That way I can make this lore something that the server enjoys and try to remove the bad taste that Clerics left when they were around before. 

Thank you for sharing my perspective, but this lore needs to come before, not after. I think that you are perfectly capable of roleplaying followers of Tahariae without using magic, at least for a time being to prove that you don’t need fancy spells to survive as a roleplay group. If you do, then that speaks lengths about the value of this.

14 minutes ago, Treshure said:

Thank you for sharing my perspective, but this lore needs to come before, not after. I think that you are perfectly capable of roleplaying followers of Tahariae without using magic, at least for a time being to prove that you don’t need fancy spells to survive as a roleplay group. If you do, then that speaks lengths about the value of this.

Tristan isn’t all the greatest at PR, but his dedication to this lore and Tahariae has spanned throughout the entire time since Clerics were shelved. Not many others exist like that. His character Alrin, repeatedly seen in Haelun’or and other areas, has worshiped Tahariae as a cleric still and been an actively present character all this time. His RP may not bring him around your character, and thus you likely don’t see it yourself, but trying to argue that he doesn’t do this isn’t very fair or accurate.

I’ll admit though, I myself am guilty of what you proclaim, mostly due to the fact that once Clerics vanished, and all the other followers left, there wasn’t much left for that character. I focused on playing Lefkos, and with him now MIA, my new character, because he has stuff actively going for him. That is an important bit about roleplaying a character; to retain interest in things, you need to be able to have character progression. Though magic shouldn’t be the main focus of any character, you had a lot of people who did make it their main deal.

I’ll set about making a proper religion piece for Clerics/Tahariae myself, but – The AenguDaemon rewrite by LT for him still hasn’t come out, so be patient. Beyond that, looking at my past pieces, I think my work ethic speaks for itself on how quickly I can get it done. It’s rather my fault that the background/origin part of this lore is as short as it is regardless, as I urged Tristan not to include to much in what is intended to be a lore post for the mechanical aspect of Clerics.

11 minutes ago, BonesOfTheEarth said:

-

I can recognize and respect the dedication people hold to their work. I want to make clear the fact that do want to see this group flourish. I hope any RP group flourishes. But as a normal player watching this lore go through, I’d want to see the foundations made of stone and not sand. Players like WhiteKnight who are deeply involved with the lore don’t need magic to satiate them because they are committed to the vision. But other players often don’t share in that immediately. What I hope to see is a player’s attraction to the quality of the story and lore around your diety: their purpose, their way of life, et cetera. The magic would then only compliment the lore and not as a primary attraction.

I think the merit of clerics have a shot in this server. I hope it works out in the proper way.