CT Warp Cart

VonAulus

So you knowingly say that this will bring a rise in bandit RP, a kind of RP that is more often than not is simply just “Minas or die”, and thus we all know it will bring a rise in players enjoyment decreasing and a rise in player reports. Not to mention the map is massive and takes quite some time to get around. Shouldn’t these have been clear indicators this is a poor idea?

We’ve had this “We need to bring back road RP” for years. It’s certainly been an argument since I’ve joined. This isn’t going to bring it back. People are just going to run past people that try to stop them, whether or not it’s actual RP or bandit “RP” because no one is willing to take the risk of having their **** stolen. 

Just bring back the warp signs, this is clearly a bad choice.

I understand the thinking behind removing the signs and making roads necessary again, but I personally don’t agree with it.

The warp signs are definitely a huge quality of life improvement- especially for new players who are trying to find where the roleplay is at. The displeasure with their removal should speak enough to the fact that it’s better to have them than not, in my opinion, since if a decision actively disappoints and inconveniences the community it’s probably the wrong call.

Road RP is rare even when they’re in use, and often it’s not really a good experience either. In years of playing the server, I have had no memorable encounters on the road, and any I’ve had were likely skewing into being irritating since I was probably trying to get somewhere for something. It just isn’t a valuable enough experience to justify the headache that having to travel to and find cities is. 

Very few people want to waste ten minutes sprint jumping and burning through food just to get to a place where they can do what they’re on the server to do in the first place. Bring warps back, add a mina cost to their use if you must, but the server is better with them than without. Just for fun, here’s a pros and cons list:

The positives of warps are:

-Promotes activity in smaller or more far-flung settlements.

-Aids new players in locating roleplay and picking a spot they want to establish themselves.

-Avoids drama and inconvenience often associated with road roleplay.

-Lets people do what they’re here for, roleplay (not running and jumping), faster and more easily.

-Encourages exploration of different settlements, promoting character growth and diminishing clique-like mentality.

-Broadly, makes more players happier.

The negatives of warps are:

-Makes the world feel smaller.

-Means that the roads are abandoned, which is admittedly a huge chunk of the world map essentially made obsolete.

-Discourages bandit roleplay and other road-based interactions.

-Probably some other stuff but I can’t think of it.

Anywho, I think the value comparison is pretty straight-forwards. I personally had a great experience with the warps, it allowed me to interact with a lot of characters I never otherwise would have, because I don’t want to waste hours trying to navigate to small settlements and far-flung cities.

If warps are viewed negatively by the administration, I would suggest that map size needs to be adjusted next time, so that it’s less of a hassle to get to the roleplay we’re all here for.

All of that said, I do commend the fixing of the chunk load issue, that’s a nice improvement to see. Again I understand the logic of wanting to remove warps, I simply don’t think it’s in the best interest of the community. It’s a fine idea in concept, but in practice it is simply a detriment to player experience.

I can imagine that the administration is personally a bit skewed in their perception of this issue, because I would wager that more often than not you choose to warp where you need to go. Admins are not required to put up with travel times the same way regular players are (though you might, I’d just be surprised) and thus perhaps don’t quite grasp the sheer tedium of it.

Though at times the administration may know what is best for the community when the community does not, this is not one of those scenarios. Please listen to the feedback people are giving against this decision, as it is the players whom are most heavily impacted by it, and most intimately familiar with the implications of it one way or the other.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:34 PM, Ark said:

Just bring them back, it helps promote people roleplaying in places that everyone actually roleplays in. People can still travel by roads if they wish- don’t take the option away from the people who /want/ to just roleplay and not spend 20 minutes running from one place to another just to RP. You don’t know what cities have people in them too, so sometimes you’ll walk to 2 cities before you find some activity, which then further just wastes your time you might spend 30 minutes before you actually even find anyone to RP with. This is such a bad decision.

Cute comment, +1

Lets approach this sensibly. 

LOTC had been crashing in player count for 2 main reasons last year, tech issues, inability to find a nation.

You are a new player, you log in, decide to head for oren or haense or whatever. Halfway there you are halted, slaughtered in minas or die roleplay and you go to run the same route over again and have it happen a second time, you log out and never log back in.

Yes yes I know we have a community team and a moderation team, but 9/10 they arent going to respond in time to make a difference.

Having warps allows new players to get to big nation hubs easier and helps keep them on the server, the first hour of roleplay for a new player will decide whether they stay or leave, my first hour was walking into felsen in the middle of a flay raid and yknow what? The flays for all their faults did not immediatly slaughter a new player like me and let me go. This new breed of “bandits” if you can even call them that do not have the same reservations. Re-add the warp cart, make life easier for new players and veterans alike. Even with the warp carts the roads still got used to go places. 

The only road rp is bandit rp. 90% of the time people just pass each other without words.

Reminder that not all changes are good changes.