[✓] [Amendment] Seers of Vaasek Tenets

Zarsies

27 minutes ago, Callum said:

Can you read?

Can you go one day without insulting someone?

I don’t only care about the combat abilities in the magic, Im using it as an example because that’s the most prevalent time when a Seer would cast in public, though there can be other times as well. If a Seer is unable to defend themselves, then they only have one choice and that’s to die without being able to have a chance, even if they do have abilities that could help them survive. It’s good to keep some bits of Seer a secret, that’s all well and dandy and I couldn’t care less about that, but if keeping that a secret means my blind character has to look and act like a normal blind person when I got a magic to see, then that’s sort of counter productive. Do as you please, but don’t force others to act the same way as you or god forbid insult them relentlessly about it until they change.

Spoon, redlines are good I will agree. It helps keep magics in line and fix the issues in them, etc, but when the redlines are just “You can’t even talk a bit about the magic or act X way without permanently losing it” I see that a few issues start to arise. Imagine if you had say translocation and you weren't allowed to teleport unless it was to run away or having Shade and you can’t decide to cast unless you were trying to make someone depressed. How about if you were a Paladin but you couldn’t cast unless it was to help make someone happy. Fire evo but you cant cast unless you want to make people warm. Who would then want any of those magics? Seer is different from those, but the same basic concept can be applied. You can’t cast unless you are in private. What can private be defined as then? If you’re in your home that could be private, but anyone can walk in there if they break open the door, thus it’s public as well. Even to the city it’s public. Then with the anxieties, there are different kinds of anxiety that you choose from to give to your character, Social Anxiety being one of those. Not everyone picks that specific one.

Overall, it would be a good addition, if it wasn’t restricting everyone to rping their characters in one specific way, thus making them all the same as each other. In the end, Seers will just become copies of one another with only small differences between their peers (Get it? Peers? As in peering? No? ok..). Everyone will become people who hide out in their homes or just ‘blind’ people who huddle in the corners of the taverns and don’t buy drinks or even think about talking to people since they have to act blind. A Seer wouldn’t be able to walk around without a walking stick or have a reason to cast a spell for fear of being caught in public. This would just make Seers worse than they were before they got the magic, blind people unable to protect themselves in any possible way because they don’t want to become blind again.

Anyways, that’s the last Im going to speak on the subject since no one will change their opinions on the matter. Good day.

8 minutes ago, MeteorDragon said:

Spoon, redlines are good I will agree. It helps keep magics in line and fix the issues in them, etc, but when the redlines are just “You can’t even talk a bit about the magic or act X way without permanently losing it” I see that a few issues start to arise. Imagine if you had say translocation and you weren't allowed to teleport unless it was to run away or having Shade and you can’t decide to cast unless you were trying to make someone depressed. How about if you were a Paladin but you couldn’t cast unless it was to help make someone happy. Fire evo but you cant cast unless you want to make people warm.

“You can’t even talk a bit about the magic or act X way without permanently losing it” – This is actually prevalent in Paladin RP. They’re unable to harm an innocent descendant. This phrase is actually shown in alot of the Magics, it balances it out and keeps the theme of things.

And as for the examples, they’re not good examples.

You can’t cast unless you are in private. What can private be defined as then?

From Zarsies’ Post:

“Seers cannot reveal the secrets and inner workings of the seer magic to non-seers”

In the end, Seers will just become copies of one another with only small differences between their peers

See what Sorcerio said, it’s pretty gucci.

This would just make Seers worse than they were before they got the magic, blind people unable to protect themselves in any possible way because they don’t want to become blind again.

Uh, they’re not blind though. – They can see. How is this worst than before they got the magic?

I edited in the below since it’s not intended for seers to be wholly defenseless as that defeats the purpose of these tenets.

”Exposing seer magic entails giving any information on how the magic works or what it does, including the baseline secondsight or the ability to “read fortunes” which at most can be spoken of as a personal gift or curse or explained as being a “psychic” or something akin. Seers should talk about it through vague and either incorrect or nondescript ways at best such as claiming a seer is an agent of Tahariae sent to guide souls towards pure lifestyles, an unknown inborn power, or something similar. Of course, emergency situations are exempt from this clause for the sake of casting publicly where seers are allowed to defend themselves.”

15 hours ago, Zarsies said:

By breaking any of these tenets Vaasek will immediately abandon the seer and they therein lose their magic and feat permanently as well as the number of dedicated slots and with the detachment of the witness the seer’s associated memories of their associates and activities leave as well.

Based

I like this, it is a bit odd for something so closely related to a free-for-all self teachable feat to be so closely secretive. However, regardless of that, I do enjoy this, and hope it will inspire greater RP quality.

31 minutes ago, Mojo said:

free-for-all self teachable feat

The intent for it being available to anyone is that players would see the criteria for getting it – a blind character eventually has a breakdown and is overwhelmed with desperation and woe and begs openly for sight in a moment of weakness – and would appropriately use that for a character appropriately in such a situation. I expected maturity, didn’t quite get that. People see magic and they lust and writhe at the thought.

6 hours ago, Zarsies said:

The intent for it being available to anyone is that players would see the criteria for getting it – a blind character eventually has a breakdown and is overwhelmed with desperation and woe and begs openly for sight in a moment of weakness – and would appropriately use that for a character appropriately in such a situation. I expected maturity, didn’t quite get that. People see magic and they lust and writhe at the thought.

It’s sad that time and time again its been proven that a large portion of the community can’t handle nice things, the current unfortunate place of seer is a good example of such. If nothing else, this addition will be conducive to higher standards within the non self-taught variety of seer, and perhaps even within a portion of self-taught seers.

This Lore has been accepted. Moved to Implemented Lore, it will be sorted to it's appropriate category soon. Please note that if this is playable lore, such as a magic or CA, you will need to write a guide for this piece. You will be contacted regarding the guide (or implementation if it isn’t needed) shortly.