[✗] [Suggestion] The Ageing [Aging] of Elves

KrisTough

“The Elves are the longest lived of all races, some living well over a thousand years.”

-Lord of the Craft Wiki: Elves

The Elves of the world within Lord of the Craft are distinct and different to the other races, possesing near immortal life. Due to this extensive life they possess, they are able to learn a great deal more than the other races. Currently, the lore describes that the Elves mature more quickly than the shorter lived races, reaching the fullness of puperty in about two decades.” However, this does not make since. How can a race have a much longer lifespan, but mature/age quicker than the other races? Though some players enjoy the simpleness to this system of aging for the Elves, it may be more immersive for the players if the elves aged differently compaired to the other races.

The proposed system is quite simple and involves the smallest amount of math.

Here’s how one determines the age of an elf in human years 

Each elven year is equivlent to 3 human years.

Sweet and simple as stated.

So, while a human child is now 9, your elf is only as mature, physically and mentally as a 3 year old.

To visualize this concept, I have made a column chart.

1078151412_ScreenShot2020-05-05at3_26_13PM.thumb.png.a0523a700f07a20796d60d77c3da0ce8.png     

As shown by the graph, at 15 in human years, they are as mature as a 5 year old child, while at 30 human years, they are only equivlent in maturity as a 10 year old.

Numbers are infinite, meaning it is impossible for every unit of age to be placed onto this graph. However, that is quickly remedied with the skill of math.

Say your elf is 150....all one must do is divide by 3.

150/3=50

So your elf is 50 in elven years.

The formula to find your Elves age and maturity in human years is as follows.

Elf Age / 3 = True Elf Age

This system truely only matters up until 100 human years, as humans cannot mature mentally past their death. Elves would be fully mature, both mentally and physically, at the age of 75 in human years and would not need any further development. However, elves are immortal, meaning their bodies are not able to be corrupted by normal age, though they may mature, they cannot grow old. Some might argue that this system is much to complicated for the game and would be better to be simple, however, this gives some color to lore. Due to the slower aging of elves, it could cause friction between elves and men, explaining the scarcity of cities with both Men and Elves. A human has a very difficult time to befriend an elf due to the different speed of aging. And when there are no friends, enemies begin to form.

So, due to this, playing an elf child would be extremly long. Just as rules prevent human children to be played until 5 years old, rules could be sent for elves.

For example, players could not play elves until they are 15 in human years (5 in elf years) or possibly even 30 in human years (10 in elf years).

As stated, this is but a suggestion. Leave your own suggestions in the comments, as I do believe that there should be a different aging system for the elves.

Edited by KrisTough

There is absolutely no way you could get me to do kid rp for 55 weeks, I’m sorry chap. Nice concept, but in practice that would be grueling. And it would really **** with the current canon of how aging works. 

Just now, TheAlphaMoist said:

There is absolutely no way you could get me kid rp for 55 weeks, I’m sorry chap

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that

Time is not relative to race. 

I personally like the idea but honestly yeah, it’d be pretty gruelling to play a kid for almost an IRL year

27 minutes ago, KrisTough said:

So, due to this, playing an elf child would be extremly long. Just as rules prevent human children to be played until 5 years old, rules could be sent for elves.

For example, players could not play elves until they are 15 in human years (5 in elf years) or possibly even 30 in human years (10 in elf years).

You tryna turn elves into yodas?

wut

As unique as a system like this is, it just isn't practical for the vast majority of players, having a humanoid race that is nigh biologically immortal already requires the suspension of disbelief, so I don’t think elves maturing at eighteen is too much further a jump. To add on to this, that while elves can ‘technically’ live forever, it is extraordinarily rare that they would, excluding unnatural death, around the 1000 year mark give or take it isn't unheard of for elves to die of old age. Any elves who live much past this age should almost certainly become stricken with some form of brain-rot/mental decline, I look at it like this while the body is immortal, the mind is not.

As someone who’s had the same elven character since 2011, yeah this thing gets a big no from me

I also think you misunderstood the passage- comparable to their lifespan elves mature quickly, they reach 18 for physical maturity but culturally they arent considered adults until 50 years old. It’s not that they arent fully developed until they’re 50, it’s just that they arent considered adults that can go off and move out of their parents until after 50, by most group’s standards.

asfor late-age elves, mine is only cresting 600, and I rp him as starting to have memory problems and other issues of wear and tear on his body

also i agree with everyone here no one is going to play a physically young character for ~50 weeks

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.