Tiers of Voidists

T1: Apprentice Voidist

T2: Voidist Mage 

T3: Senior Voidist Mage

T4: Archvoidist

T5: Summoner

-

Backstory:
Before the beginning of time, the void was everywhere and nowhere.  When the world appeared, the void was thought to be gone.  However, deep within mother nature the void still resides.  A select few people realised this, and when they did the void filled them with the deepest secrets of the Earth, they called themselves Summoners.  These people trained other elves about the Earth.  When a person was ready to become a Archvoidist, they too were given the deepest  secrets.  If they were not ready, the person would be destroyed and a fern would grow in their place.

-

What can a Voidist do?

A voidist can create and destroy anything in nature.  Their only weakness is fire because fire destroys the purest things in nature.  A voidist can only learn 5 spells, trying to learn more will corrupt the person.

-

Spells:

Animal

Nature

Water

Void

Crescere

T1 and up.

Causes plants to grow within a 10 block radius. (Three blocks up)

Two emotes.  (User must find the void within, then propel it.)

-

Petra Lapsum

T1 and up.

Causes rocks in a ten block radius to move.  (If no rocks in area, useless)

Two emotes.  (User must find the void within, then propel it.)

-

Animal Loqui Fecit

T2 and up.

Lets the caster speak to animals for three minutes, can be used once a day.

Three emotes.  (User must find the void within, connect with the animal, then propel it.)

-

Surge petram

T2 and up.

Rocks in a 5 block radius rise up, creating a barrier.

Two emotes. (User must find the void within, then propel it.)

-

Equus Voca

T3 and up.

Horses within a 10 block radius will charge the opponent for 10 seconds.

Three emotes.  (User must find the void within, connect with the animal, then propel it.)

-

Fluctus

T3 and up.

Water within a 3 block radius will overcome the opponent.

Two emotes.  (User must become one with the water, then propel it)

-

Inanis

T4 and up.

The floor in front of the caster will open up (Three blocks in front)  A black shadow will overcome everyone in a 20 block radius, they cannot see.  Only the caster can find their way out.  (10 seconds)

Three emotes.  (User must become one with the void, contain it, then propel it)

-

Fluctus Giant

A wave ten blocks high will knock the opponent back, causing pain.  The opponent will be confused afterwards for 10 seconds.

Three emotes. (User must become one with the water, contain it,  then propel it)

-

Orbis

T5 and up.

Causes whoever it is casted upon to learn the secrets of the void.   If the target is not ready, they will be destroyed.

Ten emotes. (Target must say an oath, “I, (name), will use the void for the goodness of nature.”, caster must accept the target, target prepares, caster summons the inner void, void accepts, caster releases the void, void overcomes the target, target fights the urge to become one with nature and leave human form, success OR failure (Fail = target becomes a fern, success = new summoner)

-

Intellego Autem Vacui

T5 and up.

The void comes out, making nature stronger in the area.

Five emotes. (Caster finds the void within, speaks to void, void accepts/declines (If decline, process cancels. 50/50 chance), caster releases, void returns)

Questions?

DM Herbifors#4660.

Thanks.

Q/A  (Clear ups, etc)

I am not just submitting a magic, I am submitting an idea (Void is one with nature)

Edited by Zaleria_Virwarin
Adding spell. (Intellego autem vacui)

This ventures into far too many areas to be condensed into a single magic.

Furthermore your explanation of each spell is significantly lacking in detail and limits.

For example, with Crescere, how large do the plants grow?

With Surge petram, how many rocks? What if there are no rocks, is the spell useless?

I recommend you read through existing lore pieces for magic and you find one you like the look of and get to grips with it. This concept doesn’t work within our current frame of how magic works on the server, but maybe you could introduce interesting elements after you become more familiar with existing magic.

2 minutes ago, Luciloo said:

This ventures into far too many areas to be condensed into a single magic.

Furthermore your explanation of each spell is significantly lacking in detail and limits.

For example, with Crescere, how large do the plants grow?

With Surge petram, how many rocks? What if there are no rocks, is the spell useless?

I recommend you read through existing lore pieces for magic and you find one you like the look of and get to grips with it. This concept doesn’t work within our current frame of how magic works on the server, but maybe you could introduce interesting elements after you become more familiar with existing magic.

I didn't put all the details into the forum,  I wanted it to be considered before getting super serious about it. 

About you saying it has branches out to far, its meant to be ALL things nature.  As in, the void is nature, so people who master the void master nature as well.

9 minutes ago, Zaleria_Virwarin said:

I didn't put all the details into the forum,  I wanted it to be considered before getting super serious about it. 

About you saying it has branches out to far, its meant to be ALL things nature.  As in, the void is nature, so people who master the void master nature as well.

Except the Void isn’t nature, it’s a totally alien world separated from the world our characters inhabit. You need to better define what it is the magic has influence over and does not, because right now these abilities are all over the place, there’s no consistent theme. The Mage is waterbending and earthbending, but then summons shadows.

Equus Voca

T3 and up.

Horses within a 10 block radius will charge the opponent for 10 seconds.

How do we gauge ten seconds in roleplay? How many emotes is 10 seconds?

This feels like you just made a list of “abilities which would be helpful in combat,” rather than abilities based around a theme, with either versatile applications, or a very specific niche, which also convey a degree of progression.

If you’re still developing ideas, I would suggest putting what you have into a google doc and fleshing it out there, instead of immediately submitting it.

Your lore submission needs to follow the correct lore format before it can be accepted, and I highly suggest removing the black font. It’s almost impossible to read.

16 minutes ago, Zaleria_Virwarin said:

Every detail of your magic must be listed on the forums in its entirety. If you want to know if something will be considered, I suggest speaking to the community, your friend group, or joining the lore discord and discussing the potential of your magic with others. The Lore Submission subforum is solely for magics that are ready to be voted on by the LT so they can be implemented as is on the server, should it be passed and accepted. 

9 minutes ago, Luciloo said:

Except the Void isn’t nature, it’s a totally alien

Aha hey girl... you’re here all the time, haha... wanna... maybe... try to join the lore team? Lol just kidding just kidding..... unless?

I think it’s cool that you’re trying to write lore for the server already! Unfortunately (For this submission I mean), LoTC has a very deep tradition of magic lore going back nearly a decade at this point, and we’re pretty heavy on having things fit together. I’d recommend going through and reading other Lore posts on magic, including the submission guidelines and other Voidal magics lores before trying to write your own. In fact, I’d really recommend playing on the server for quite a while before trying to write lore, especially for magic.

I want to stress again that I think its cool that you’re already writing lore, it just needs to be based in what we have already, and fit in a fair bit better.

And hey LT who are commenting on this, picking apart the specifics of this lore isn’t actually helpful. We all know where this one is going to end up.

2 hours ago, TheAlphaMoist said:

Aha hey girl... you’re here all the time, haha... wanna... maybe... try to join the lore team? Lol just kidding just kidding..... unless?

Call me maybe

4 hours ago, Luciloo said:

Except the Void isn’t nature, it’s a totally alien world separated from the world our characters inhabit. You need to better define what it is the magic has influence over and does not, because right now these abilities are all over the place, there’s no consistent theme. The Mage is waterbending and earthbending, but then summons shadows.

How do we gauge ten seconds in roleplay? How many emotes is 10 seconds?

This feels like you just made a list of “abilities which would be helpful in combat,” rather than abilities based around a theme, with either versatile applications, or a very specific niche, which also convey a degree of progression.

If you’re still developing ideas, I would suggest putting what you have into a google doc and fleshing it out there, instead of immediately submitting it.

I was suggesting a new idea, i.e void is inside of nature.

I mean, literally count in your head 10 seconds, like the person just emote and not be able to do anything for 10s.

It is on a doc

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I’ll just edit it until its finished.

4 hours ago, TheAlphaMoist said:

Your lore submission needs to follow the correct lore format before it can be accepted, and I highly suggest removing the black font. It’s almost impossible to read.

Every detail of your magic must be listed on the forums in its entirety. If you want to know if something will be considered, I suggest speaking to the community, your friend group, or joining the lore discord and discussing the potential of your magic with others. The Lore Submission subforum is solely for magics that are ready to be voted on by the LT so they can be implemented as is on the server, should it be passed and accepted. 

K ty, fixed it.

It looks like you’re relatively new to the server, and I can certainly appreciate the enthusiasm to contribute your ideas to the community, but I do think some patience is necessary for this kind of thing. The server’s lore can be quite convoluted at times and difficult to grasp, and it requires a lot of time and experience, or effort, in order to properly balance your lore and make it slot neatly into the preexisting framework.

I would suggest that you spend a little more time immersing yourself in the server, reading the current lore and getting a strong grip on other types of magic and the like, before trying for a submission like this. Again I respect the effort, but this submission simply speaks to a lack of knowledge on both the server’s current lore, and how to format and develop new ideas to fit in with it.

To be straight-forward, here are the broad issues I see:

Spoiler

General Notes:

- The Void is already well-defined as a concept, and exists separate from the material world. It is a different plane of reality that does not relate in any manner to nature- in fact, nature and the Void are in many senses quite opposed. This cannot be changed without incredibly good reason and exceptional development, if at all; trying to redefine the Void in this manner would be extremely disruptive to other existing magics and the overall structure of server lore as a whole. This renders your lore essentially impossible to accept, in my estimation.

- Almost all of your spells conflict with current Druid and Shaman lore, and essentially take effects already present in there and tries to frame them as new ideas. I don’t think you did this on purpose, this is just speaking to what I said about being more familiar with what is already on the server. You can’t write new lore without knowing what is already covered by the current magics. I’ll go over each of these in turn.

– Crescere, Animal Loqui Fecit, Intellego Autem Vacui and Equus Voca are all ideas already covered by a Druidic skill known as Communion. Communion allows a druid to commune with nature, as the name suggests; this includes controlling plants and ‘speaking’ to animals. Intellego Autem Vacui is written very vaguely (it doesn’t say what it actually does to nature) but sounds like Blight Healing, another Druid ability.

– Petra Lapsum, Surge Petram, Fluctus, and Fluctus Giant are all ideas that are already covered in the Shamanic practice of Elementalism. Elementalism is the only magic that is permitted to deal with the preexisting elements of the world, that is, manipulating earth, water, air, or fire in the world around them. The way you wrote Fluctus Giant is a bit unclear, but if the idea is that it instead summons water, this is an idea covered in Water Evocation.
                                        – Inanis is a concept similar to Deadbreath from the currently shelved Mystic lore, but not exactly. However, it is also poorly balanced and lacks proper development on its finer points, as all spells posed here do. 20 blocks is an enormous radius, and simply stating that only the caster can find their way out, and people are (presumably) totally blind is extremely overpowered and open for abuse.

– For the sake of completeness I’ll also comment on Orbis, which is simply hampered by my first point about the Void. It also lacks proper explanation for what it takes to resist ‘becoming one with nature’ or any other fine details.

Here are some notes on individual spells, to give you a slightly better idea of how to write them in the future:

Spoiler

Spell Notes:

Equus Voca: It’s important to keep situational utility in mind. How often is someone likely to be surrounded by horses- or even near one horse, unless they’re in a stable? The use cases for this ability are extremely limited.

Petra Lapsum: Doesn’t specify how the rocks move. Are they manipulated to the caster’s will? Or do they move away, or towards them? Do they just shift and roll around aimlessly? The particular details of your spells need to be fleshed out this way. General ideas aren’t enough, you must lay out exactly what it does, and the limitations of that effect.

Surge Petram: You give no details on the barrier itself. How durable is it? How thick does it get, how tall? Another situation where the stated effect needs to be fleshed out more thoroughly.

Animal Loqui Fecit: It’s generally better to measure in terms of number of emotes rather than time, as some people type faster than others or emote in more detail than others, making time an unreliable, often uneven means of measurement.

Fluctus Giant: Same issue as Animal Loqui Fecit.

Fluctus: What does overcome mean? Does it completely surround them to the point of drowning, or just enough to impede movement? How long does it last? As with Petra Lapsum and Surge Petram, this needs to be fleshed out.

Inanis: I already went over the balance issues with this in the prior section.

Intellego Autem Vacui: Again, this needs to be explained better. It empowers nature, but how? Are animals suddenly stronger, are plants more hardy? What exactly does it mean for nature to be empowered?

I wouldn’t suggest bothering to make edits with these notes in mind, but consider these kinds of questions and details in the future when writing lore.

That’s about all I have to say. Again I encourage your enthusiasm and am glad you have put in the effort to make this, but I would advise you to spend more time reading up on the lore of the server, and spend more time exploring and learning about things in-game as well, before trying to create a proposal of your own.

Honestly I really do respect your enthusiasm, and if you stick around long enough to learn the ropes, I’m sure you could create a lore piece that would be a great addition to the server. Try not to be discouraged by all my criticism here, I made similar mistakes when I first joined. I hope to see more lore from you in the future.

21 hours ago, Kalehart said:

It looks like you’re relatively new to the server, and I can certainly appreciate the enthusiasm to contribute your ideas to the community, but I do think some patience is necessary for this kind of thing. The server’s lore can be quite convoluted at times and difficult to grasp, and it requires a lot of time and experience, or effort, in order to properly balance your lore and make it slot neatly into the preexisting framework.

I would suggest that you spend a little more time immersing yourself in the server, reading the current lore and getting a strong grip on other types of magic and the like, before trying for a submission like this. Again I respect the effort, but this submission simply speaks to a lack of knowledge on both the server’s current lore, and how to format and develop new ideas to fit in with it.

To be straight-forward, here are the broad issues I see:

General Notes:   Hide contents

General Notes:

- The Void is already well-defined as a concept, and exists separate from the material world. It is a different plane of reality that does not relate in any manner to nature- in fact, nature and the Void are in many senses quite opposed. This cannot be changed without incredibly good reason and exceptional development, if at all; trying to redefine the Void in this manner would be extremely disruptive to other existing magics and the overall structure of server lore as a whole. This renders your lore essentially impossible to accept, in my estimation.

- Almost all of your spells conflict with current Druid and Shaman lore, and essentially take effects already present in there and tries to frame them as new ideas. I don’t think you did this on purpose, this is just speaking to what I said about being more familiar with what is already on the server. You can’t write new lore without knowing what is already covered by the current magics. I’ll go over each of these in turn.

– Crescere, Animal Loqui Fecit, Intellego Autem Vacui and Equus Voca are all ideas already covered by a Druidic skill known as Communion. Communion allows a druid to commune with nature, as the name suggests; this includes controlling plants and ‘speaking’ to animals. Intellego Autem Vacui is written very vaguely (it doesn’t say what it actually does to nature) but sounds like Blight Healing, another Druid ability.

– Petra Lapsum, Surge Petram, Fluctus, and Fluctus Giant are all ideas that are already covered in the Shamanic practice of Elementalism. Elementalism is the only magic that is permitted to deal with the preexisting elements of the world, that is, manipulating earth, water, air, or fire in the world around them. The way you wrote Fluctus Giant is a bit unclear, but if the idea is that it instead summons water, this is an idea covered in Water Evocation.
                                        – Inanis is a concept similar to Deadbreath from the currently shelved Mystic lore, but not exactly. However, it is also poorly balanced and lacks proper development on its finer points, as all spells posed here do. 20 blocks is an enormous radius, and simply stating that only the caster can find their way out, and people are (presumably) totally blind is extremely overpowered and open for abuse.

– For the sake of completeness I’ll also comment on Orbis, which is simply hampered by my first point about the Void. It also lacks proper explanation for what it takes to resist ‘becoming one with nature’ or any other fine details.

Here are some notes on individual spells, to give you a slightly better idea of how to write them in the future:

Spell Notes:   Hide contents

Spell Notes:

Equus Voca: It’s important to keep situational utility in mind. How often is someone likely to be surrounded by horses- or even near one horse, unless they’re in a stable? The use cases for this ability are extremely limited.

Petra Lapsum: Doesn’t specify how the rocks move. Are they manipulated to the caster’s will? Or do they move away, or towards them? Do they just shift and roll around aimlessly? The particular details of your spells need to be fleshed out this way. General ideas aren’t enough, you must lay out exactly what it does, and the limitations of that effect.

Surge Petram: You give no details on the barrier itself. How durable is it? How thick does it get, how tall? Another situation where the stated effect needs to be fleshed out more thoroughly.

Animal Loqui Fecit: It’s generally better to measure in terms of number of emotes rather than time, as some people type faster than others or emote in more detail than others, making time an unreliable, often uneven means of measurement.

Fluctus Giant: Same issue as Animal Loqui Fecit.

Fluctus: What does overcome mean? Does it completely surround them to the point of drowning, or just enough to impede movement? How long does it last? As with Petra Lapsum and Surge Petram, this needs to be fleshed out.

Inanis: I already went over the balance issues with this in the prior section.

Intellego Autem Vacui: Again, this needs to be explained better. It empowers nature, but how? Are animals suddenly stronger, are plants more hardy? What exactly does it mean for nature to be empowered?

I wouldn’t suggest bothering to make edits with these notes in mind, but consider these kinds of questions and details in the future when writing lore.

That’s about all I have to say. Again I encourage your enthusiasm and am glad you have put in the effort to make this, but I would advise you to spend more time reading up on the lore of the server, and spend more time exploring and learning about things in-game as well, before trying to create a proposal of your own.

Honestly I really do respect your enthusiasm, and if you stick around long enough to learn the ropes, I’m sure you could create a lore piece that would be a great addition to the server. Try not to be discouraged by all my criticism here, I made similar mistakes when I first joined. I hope to see more lore from you in the future.

Thanks for feedback, do you think maybe a entirely void magic would be good?  Like no nature magic, just void. 

2 hours ago, Zaleria_Virwarin said:

Thanks for feedback, do you think maybe a entirely void magic would be good?  Like no nature magic, just void. 

That is definitely a much more open area for innovation. Just be certain that you read up on all of the relevant lore before having a go at it, and again I would suggest waiting a while until you’ve taken longer to get familiar with the server. It would be nice to be able to just study everything you need to know, but ultimately the kind of in-depth grasp you need comes with time and experience. It’s best not to write a magic for its own sake, give yourself that time to come up with something really special and unique

To start I would suggest reading everything void and plane related here. The Void is a bit of a vague concept, hence why I say you need time to fully grasp it. Learning about it in RP is the best way.

And then I would advise you to browse all of the magics here and here. I’d also suggest checking the deity and dark magic sections too, just to be safe.

And be sure to see what has already been submitted as an idea here in the main area, as well as in pending, under review, loremag, and lore games submissions.

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.