[✗] [Magic Lore] Herald and Azdrazi Spell / Enrapturement Rewrite

Aelesh

On 5/18/2020 at 3:47 PM, Hindsightmancy said:

- Many draconic spells call upon this place implicitly, using the souls of dragons as a great library of knowledge from which to draw strength. The memories, magics, skills and insights of every dragon to have ever lived flows through this place, and flows also through both Heralds and Azdrazi.

So all heralds and Azdrazi basically get the knowledge, skills, memories, etc of every dragon to have ever lived?

- Dragonfire is considered quintessentially magical in nature, and like enchanted items and the spells of mages, it is capable of harming incorporeal beings like ghosts more effectively, or any other creature that is more susceptible to magic.

- Dragonfire does not only draw upon mundane sources of energy, like wood or coal, to burn. It will also burn on spells and magical creations, tearing their energies apart. That is to say, when it is unleashed upon, say, an arcane shield, it will stick and burn there, damaging the shield over time.

- Dragonfire has a tangible weight to it that mundane fire lacks. This allows an Azdrazi’s breath, for instance, to knock over an exposed target that has not properly braced themselves for the impact.

Dragonfire has physical force, magical degradation ability, can burn anything immaterial like ghosts, wights, mystics, etc, and ALSO burns like normal fire? This seems absolutely busted IMO, its a one in all type ability.

- The aforementioned aengudaemonic energies are ever present in the earth. It is believed that, when Dragur breathed part of himself into the earth to birth Azdromoth, he also created a fountain of energy within the foundation of the world, slumbering eternally until there was need of it. This fountain of energy grew as he continued to create the first dragaar, and has since been fostered by their eternally burning souls. The energy imbued within the earth is identical to the Heart of the World. 

- Both Heralds and Azdrazi are capable of calling upon this energy for knowledge and power, though Heralds are more adept at doing so. Being immortal, Azdrazi are less connected to the subtle powers of the mortal world, and find it difficult to conjure powers beyond their own. They find their strength in their personal stores of dragonfire.

So Azdrazi and Heralds can pull from a nearly limitless magical source to get power and knowledge?

I thought the entire point of heralds was as like some sort of thing for people to prepare for Azdrazi. Regardless: 

There’s like almost no overlying theme with this. To quote someone I was talking to about this: “make your abilities relevant, concise, and at least partially original” 

It just kind of seems Herald was given a bunch of different abilities that are already present in other lore pieces. They can make illusions, heal people, you got all kinds of fire stuff in there, some seer abilities, you can manifest ghosts which is absolutely something that should be reserved for mystics, I’ve been told by a necro player that there wasn’t any consultation to the necro player base regarding anti-undead abilities which is, in my opinion, in poor taste, unless that player was just wrong. Like, everything is just all over the place. There’s no fluidity to it. 

Again, this is just my opinion, but I think the baseline Azdrazi lore needs to be touched up upon before you even consider adding stuff onto Heralds. When I see people talking about Azdrazi, nine times out of ten they’re talking about how OP they are. Normally this doesn’t hold any weight because players can be a bit silly sometimes, but I actually voted on the current Azdrazi write up, and I can very easily see where they’re coming from. It just doesn’t make sense to me to add an expansion pack to something that was more or less perfectly fine to begin with when you have bigger issues to worry about.

Again, just my opinion. Not trying to start anything here, just voicing my overall concerns. 

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.