[Completed][Hot take] Voting shouldn't provide mina

Papa Liam

Not gonna bother droning on for ten paragraphs that you won’t read, but for the longest time, I’ve thought that the amount of mina injected into the LotC economy has made it impossible to create the sort of economic and material conflict that makes aspects of roleplay interesting. LotC is an outlet that could have a really dynamic economy if poverty, strife, and shortages actually existed. There’s no real need for labour of any sort, and consumers hardly buy anything aside from food and iron occasionally. It’s not something I’ve put hours of thought into, but if one day of voting didn’t provide us with a week’s worth of tax money, then maybe the server’s economy – and inevitably, the quality of roleplay created from material conflict – would fare better. The obvious issue with cutting mina as a reward from voting would be a decline in the incentive to vote, but I’d argue there are other incentives that can be offered. I think providing food is an adequate enough incentive, alongside the periodic voting milestone rewards offered (rename tokens, soulstone cooldown, shop of wonders vouchers, etc). 

This is just a thought I’ve had for a while, and I wanted to know what others thought, and how else we might be able to spur economic activity on the server

omg no I rely on /vote welfare 🌿

Edited by PapiZapii

whats the point of having an economy with jobs and commerce, if we can simply manifest money from thin air with no other repercussions 

This is just absolutely correct, and its the main source of the massive economic issues we have. I know the WT had that post a while back about the economy, and I desperately hope they implement much of what people said there. To stop the devaluation of mina the amount injected each day would need to be ~ = to the amount lose every day, to CT shops and players leaving the server / deleting personas. Right now those two are best I can tell the only minas sinks that remove it from the economy? If there were either additional sinks created or just the amount cut even just in half it would seriously help it out.

Personally I think voting should just give a small amount of crowns. You are rewarded for voting still, but economy isn’t devalued. # of crowns awarded I don’t know, I’d have to do the maths, but its a better alternative. The primary source of injecting mina should be through the start of the map, events and a carefully controlled injection every month by admins via how much mina is leaving the economy each month

Agreed, really is a bit galling that the mina constantly inflates. It’s also very strange that no one compensates for this, either; iron still sells for 2 minas. So if you want to sell anything or pay anyone, you’re dealing in amounts of money one-tenth the magnitude of a single day of voting.

Voting minas should be replaced with random resources (loot boxes ohh nooo) which gives people an incentive to vote but doesn’t hyperinflate the currency. The loot table could include some genuinely valuable stuff, so that players’ inner gambling addiction compels them to vote. 

mina is barely worth anything anymore bc everyone and their grandmother has like, 10k+ 

could prob be fixed and actually made valuable if mina wasnt so easy to get by just simply voting

1 hour ago, Unwillingly said:

mina is barely worth anything anymore bc everyone and their grandmother has like, 10k+ 

could prob be fixed and actually made valuable if mina wasnt so easy to get by just simply voting

yeah or if prices actually corrected for the huge stacks of cash lying around. problem is there’s nothing most players w/ huge voting caches actually want to buy, and every resource imaginable is available right out of the door at CT (staff rlly went apeshit w/ the admin shops). there should be game end gear in the shop of wonders that isn’t just “tools that let you gather even more worthless resources faster”

IMO the perfect economic system for LoTC would be voting/grinding/trading for resources, then selling certain “cash” resources which have irp but not mechanical value (gold, sugar, maybe like spices or cloth or dyes or other things that the techs code in) at admin shops at each city. The price of these resources would adjust based on supply, and be “consumed” at a flat rate every week. This way mina is never directly added into the economy without the exchange of some good of equal theoretical value.

agreed ves UBI has gone on for long enough

2 minutes ago, Hunwald said:

agreed ves UBI has gone on for long enough

the true horror of the basarab flesh tower was the money printer hidden underneath

agreed but nations need to be able to produce/mint Minas by some means be it thru nodes or an activity system etc

down with voting for mina, its garbage

This thread has been deemed inactive and the debate concluded. If you feel this was mistake, please contact a moderator.