[Completed]Combat should be neither RP nor PVP.

4 hours ago, KeatonUnbeaten said:

yeah, true

different story if the halfling is a master swordsman tho

Edited by Nozoa

On 5/24/2020 at 6:57 AM, King of Cartography said:

You’re right about how RP combat is a complete mess and clickydeath pvp is just so stupid, I like your idea for combat resolution but.....

Knowing the LOTC community if we added an RP combat system where you have racial bonuses and point buy for stats, a lot of people would make max strength Orcs with 0 int and RP them as green humans who are perfectly normal.

Sure we can tell them to not do that, but then they’ll move on to a more acceptable (but still overpowered) build, until that gets nerfed and so on and so on.

I wasn’t saying point buy, I was saying base racial modifier. Orcs get +2 to Strength rolls, Elves get +2 to dex, **** like that, with no uniqueness to stats. Honestly, I just find it stupid that you can have fights where, in a contest of strength, when using rolls a weak elf can beat an orc, and without using rolls, an elf can argue for an hour straight about why they should beat the orc until the orc just gives up.

it should be pvp default but crp when both parties agree – this has its flaws but it works the best. CRP powergamed way too often when i dont know the other party, new players powergame, every elf and their mother powergames. People don’t understand how to P2L so what we end up getting is both parties trying very hard to win which often results in a very poor experience, or one side trying to be fair and the other going ham on them (then you tell them stop powergaming, they call a gm on you, the gm is from their nation, and YOU get warned for playing to lose. Welcome to lotc)

I think a rudimentary dice system for combat with a fixed number of total stat points (think SPECIAL from fallout) would be good. My experience with pure combat roleplay lines up with priceflash’s, it’s “getting warned for playing to lose”

the trick to winning at crp is just to confidently powergame. Ignore things like your character feeling pain or exhaustion or accidentally tripping over objects in the environment, then immediately escalate the situation to a moderator when anyone questions you. it creates a deeply unpleasant situation for the other player even when they aren’t trying to beat you. I’ve been yelled at for literally writing out my character’s injuries, so that’s the quality of combat roleplay

some PVP mechanic is necessary for any sort of progression to happen on this server. You might not like it, in your ideal imagining of LoTC everyone would just agree on what happens, but in reality it needs to be there to prevent players from blithely forcing their roleplay onto others, or stonewalling and refusing to allow roleplay to go on.

I’d love a SPECIAL-esque system with very little progression. Essentially you get a fixed number of points when creating a persona that you can add to your race’s base stats. You can reroll once every once and a while. Maybe your stats change with age, like your strength decreases as you get older and your perception increases, or something. The goal would be to add some sort of character personalization to combat roleplay (and pvp, maybe) without exclusively rewarding players for rping a 500 year old elf warrior and never PKing.

On 5/24/2020 at 5:03 PM, Tato said:

holy retard this is roleplay server????? bruh id love to be forced into rolling instead of roleplaying everytime someone has a fuckin spackattack

roleplay is when you write prose and the more prose you write the more roleplay it is

CRP is roleplay in the sense that a fencing manual is literature. it offers few opportunities for storytelling and characterization and you get yelled at for trying to add any in. 90% of roleplay fights are someone trying to cave in my character’s skull for reasons beyond persuasion with zero bearing on anything I care about. It’s deeply unfun for most people on the server and it doesn’t get better when the people who like it think they’re better than the people who don’t. You have to forgive people if they don’t enjoy arguing over the minutiae of a single fight for five hours, it’s part of being a good sport

PvP should be remained the traditional system of CRP or PVP. Introducing numbers into combat such as racial bonuses, armor, and extras compliment the introduction of Minmaxing

I highly discourage Minmaxing, it opens up perfectly built warriors, incredibly nimble assassins, and overpowered spellcasters. As most of us agree, those players suck, it removes what makes our personas a ‘character’. Unfortunately, we’d have to live through bloodlusting warriors, and the player-base would be more focused on making characters to survive pvp, not to create memories.

On 6/16/2020 at 4:59 PM, Naiyge said:

PvP should be remained the traditional system of CRP or PVP. Introducing numbers into combat such as racial bonuses, armor, and extras compliment the introduction of Minmaxing

I highly discourage Minmaxing, it opens up perfectly built warriors, incredibly nimble assassins, and overpowered spellcasters. As most of us agree, those players suck, it removes what makes our personas a ‘character’. Unfortunately, we’d have to live through bloodlusting warriors, and the player-base would be more focused on making characters to survive pvp, not to create memories.

Thats why a point buy system would probably work well, with a limited upper and lower limit, so even if you minmax you still have to spread stuff around. Additionally, as it is, it’d be better than the current base d20-without-modifiers system of roll-based CRP, and it’s a way to add a definitivity to CRP in a way that currently doesn’t exist, as rn it’s just a contest of who can subtley powergame without anyone noticing.

This thread has been deemed inactive and the debate concluded. If you feel this was mistake, please contact a moderator.