Ask Urara [+Characters] Anything

Urahra

A conundrum for some: do you have any advice for players intending to play female characters that you seen done inappropriately, stereotypically,  or generally wrong?

What’s your most memorable roleplay moment?

We can yearn for Native together tho ;-; Equally unrelated, I had mad respect for you and your roleplay quality in the early days when I was still a kiddo and congratulate you for your writing skills today. I love your diary and your enthusiasm for roleplay is sobering at times, a class I see few a part of.

Hello Urara,

As a fellow boomer making my return (albeit just for writing lore this time), I wanted to both apologize if I did anything back in the olden golden days and commend you for your writing. I actually just read the rewrite for the Frost Witches lore and remembered that you originally brought them in the server. Though I observed the Frost Witches from afar, preferring nation and guild roleplay, I found it to an incredibly unique contribution to the server at the time.

12 hours ago, Zarsies said:

A conundrum for some: do you have any advice for players intending to play female characters that you seen done inappropriately, stereotypically,  or generally wrong?

What’s your most memorable roleplay moment?

We can yearn for Native together tho ;-; Equally unrelated, I had mad respect for you and your roleplay quality in the early days when I was still a kiddo and congratulate you for your writing skills today. I love your diary and your enthusiasm for roleplay is sobering at times, a class I see few a part of.

pour one out for my homeboy native, the original bearded elf. may his excellent beard live on through the beards of elves all across arcas.

fun fact, so I made this skin for tanith’s current boyfriend. (well not yet but they will be.)

3V91q2O.png

def inspired by native. more elf beard representation on the server please.

so like... with writing female characters, i think the best advice is to read books written by women authors featuring female characters. or autobiographies. anything that’ll give you an insight into how women think and feel. 

it’s also worth noting that women are by no means a monolith. just because one woman thinks something doesn’t mean that all women should or do. there are traditional women, there are rebellious women, there are loud women, there are quiet women, there are strong women, there are intellectual women, there are highly sexual women, there are prudish and modest women. these are all valid. there’s no one right way or wrong way to be a woman – regardless of what anyone might tell you.

probably the best thing for anyone to do is focus on the CHARACTER rather than their gender first. Tanith for example is gentle, patient, kind-hearted, hard-working, but a little neurotic and obsessive-compulsive. not to mention dealing with just... OODLES of unresolved personal trauma and tragedy haha. PTSD gang represent! but here’s the thing. while many of tanith’s traits may come across as stereotypically feminine, they can be applied to male characters as well.

i played a male character on another server  named Tobias. Tobias was a lot like tanith. He loved to cook, he was extremely kind and self-sacrificing, he was the primary caretaker and guardian of his children, he loved nurturing and helping others, he was extremely generous and patient. I made a lot of jokes about him being mr. mom... but he was also very masculine. Like I emoted him exercising a lot lol. he was doing pushups with his kids sitting on his back and he downed beers like a champ. he could drink anyone under the table. and he was real foul-mouthed. dropping f-bombs all over the shop. so while he had many stereotypically feminine qualities, he was also straight up wholesome jock man.  rip tobias i loved you my wholesome jock boy

but anyway, i digress yet again.

another good bit of advice for writing female characters is just... ugh I hate that I have to put this

do not design them as fap fuel.

it’s 100% okay for women to be sexual beings. my characters have libidos and a romantic/sexual appetite. like... tanith is out here ogling sexy men on the daily. she gets REALLY distracted by men with big muscles. she loves ripped dudes. he better have arms like freaking tree trunks if he wants tanith’s attention. haha probably like if a huge orc guy with pecs bigger than his head grabbed her and carried her off to the war uzg, she’d probably be 100% fine with it. so tanith does absolutely have romantic and sexual desires.

but she herself is not designed as fap fuel. i’m... not personally attracted to tanith lol. she wasn’t designed to be attractive to me, her player. she’s just a person. as a rule, I’ll never emote about her beautiful sparkling eyes or her long flowing hair or her beautiful plump lips or her swaying hips or anything like that. i honestly can’t stand that stuff lmao. if you’re focusing excessively on describing how hot and sexy your char is rather than his or her personality, then you’re doing it wrong imo. i let other people decide if they find tanith cute, sexy, or pretty based on how she ACTS, rather than how I DESCRIBE her if you get me.

I gotta hand it to my friend @King of Cartography because he does this well. He doesn’t spend line after line emoting about Juan Lyons’ sexy smile or rippling abs or cut pecs or flowing beard. But you can tell Juan Lyons is an attractive, confident, sexy man because of how he acts and how he talks. 

so like... don’t focus excessively on describing your character’s body. I’d also focus on giving them a personality where attractive traits are balanced by unattractive ones. tanith is kind and sweet but she’s also extremely jealous and needy, for example. she needs a lot of attention and doesn’t like being left alone. so while she’s sweet, she can be clingy and smothering when she really likes someone. attractive quality (kindness) balanced by unattractive quality (jealous and needy/clingy).

but yeah as long as the character has more purpose than just being sexy fap fodder, I think you’re generally fine

and like...  i don’t judge if sexy rp is what makes you happy. it’s perfectly fine if you keep it away from minors and do any explicit stuff off the server. just be careful who you’re roleplaying with. be safe, have fun. i... don’t really think mc is the best venue for that kind of rp, but y’all do you and live your best life.

my attitude used to be somewhat different and I used to be way more judgmental. but now it’s generally live and let live. if your rp makes you happy, it’s good rp. 🙂 if you like your character, then keep doing you. i’m not holding anyone to any standards. have fun and enjoy your leisure time. we’re not professional writers so it’s okay if you just want to do what makes you happy and have a good time. just as long as you’re not hurting anyone, you're good. this is just advice if you want to get deeper into rping as a realistic female char.

EDIT: forgot the most memorable RP moment aw jeez

golly that’s a hard one

there was a screenshot i had, but I lost it.

some context: okay, so my character Lorin Chivay was forced to marry Augustus Flay (played by the irreplaceable coastercam0). initially, i was completely ooc against the marriage. i thought the flays were just a bunch of pvp-heads who didn’t care about RP and only wanted to kill people. i was upset when I heard that my character was going to be married against her will. i was like “gosh dangit, coaster’s just going to ignore me and i’ll be bored and my character will be useless”

but like... coaster totally blew me away with his rp. he didn’t ignore me. he actually really engaged with lorin as a character and they developed a very unique relationship which was unlike any other relationship roleplay I have ever done. it stands out as some of my favorite because it felt so nuanced and complicated.

they developed this sort of bond of mutual respect. i think Augustus recognized Lorin’s intelligence and her wit and he admired that about her. and Lorin, while TERRIFIED of him, recognized his charisma, force of personality, and just indomitable strength.

there was a moment where augustus actually admitted to lorin how much he respected her. and like... i daresay that is the closest Augustus Flay would ever get to telling someone that he loved them.

it was a big moment and i wish I still had that screenshot because i felt it was the culmination of a very interesting and textured, nuanced relationship. 

10 hours ago, Gaius Marius said:

Hello Urara,

As a fellow boomer making my return (albeit just for writing lore this time), I wanted to both apologize if I did anything back in the olden golden days and commend you for your writing. I actually just read the rewrite for the Frost Witches lore and remembered that you originally brought them in the server. Though I observed the Frost Witches from afar, preferring nation and guild roleplay, I found it to an incredibly unique contribution to the server at the time.

what’s up, gaius. long time no see.

I don’t recall anything in particular you did, my dude. but I’ll offer the same apology. I know I could be obnoxious back in the day. i am still quite obnoxious now ofc but hopefully in a slightly more tolerable and mature way.

man I went through my old post history the other day and I was like 

heck, all right. that’s why people didn’t like me. 2011-2014 urara honestly deserves the guillotine.

but i remember i always liked and respected you, dude. i haven’t read your posts yet but it’s on my to-do list. 🙂 glad to see the old guard still hanging around.

What advice would Lorina give to little Lorena Annabelle Helvets about life as a lady in humanity? And as someone who has done so much to try and make things better for female characters, how does it feel to see a female as the heir to the Holy Orenian Empire?

Also, thanks for my mango smoothie! 😉

Have you ever run into the problem of people metagaming information in your diaries? Do you ever place misinformation inside of them or censor anything just in case? That’s something I’ve been meaning to ask for a fat minute now, but I don’t know you so I’ve never had a chance. 

3 hours ago, sunny25 said:

What advice would Lorina give to little Lorena Annabelle Helvets about life as a lady in humanity? And as someone who has done so much to try and make things better for female characters, how does it feel to see a female as the heir to the Holy Orenian Empire?

Also, thanks for my mango smoothie! 😉

In Haense, there is a strange rumor. When the moon shines soft and quiet upon newly fallen snow... and the crow on the rooftops sings its evening song... a woman might appear, dressed in flowing, white garments. As she walks, her dainty feet leaving no mark upon the frost. Indeed, she walks so lightly as if she were not meant to touch the ground at all. Her voice  echoes forlornly through the corridors between buildings, carried by the howling northern wind. None are able to approach her, for she fades away like morning mist. But children hear her voice most strongly – and they say she calls a name.

“Svaaaaaalaaaaaa....”

A girl’s name.

On a lonely night in Reza, Lorena might be wandering by herself. Perhaps she wandered away from her guards, looking for something or someone to play with. The snow falls quietly over the buildings, gilding them with frost the way sugar might glisten atop a cake. And she hears that voice calling from the dark space between two buildings. 

“Svaaaaaalaaaaaa....”

She’s drawn toward it, in spite of herself.

The alleyway opens into a small park, in the center of which sits a fountain which has frozen over. The arcs of water are now still ripples of opaque ice. And there she is, the woman in white. The moonlight peeks through the clouds and shines through her body, casting no shadow upon the softly sparkling snow. The woman looks to Lorena and their eyes meet across the small expanse of the park. Slowly, she walks toward the child and lowers herself onto her knees. She isn’t very tall. Her face is not the frightening visage one might expect of a specter, but a normal woman’s face – surrounded by a tumult of dark hair. Her eyes, deep olive green, recall images of the deep, dark northern forests.

“You are not my Svala,” the woman sighs, disappointed. But despite her disappointment, she smiles. She speaks with the slightest tinge of a Raevir accent, though it’s not detectable except to a practiced ear. “Though you look like her. Dark hair, soft as crow’s down... And grey eyes that shine like stars... What is your name?”

Lorena answers honestly. And the name seems to surprise the ghost. She laughs.

“Why, that’s my name too,” she says. “It is a good name. Take care of it. It is ancient and strong. May it protect you – and may its strength bear you through hardship. As it did for me. As it did for my grandmother. We Lorins are often unfortunate girls.”

“My name is Lorina Carrion. In life, I was Sister Lorina, dutiful daughter of Tuv and faithful servant of the Canon. In death, I am called the Devil’s W h o r e,” she says with a tinge of regret and lament. “I bore illegitimate children born of sin and, to protect them from the wrath of God, I hid them away. The church enacted its punishment upon me for my transgressions. Now, my soul is restless until I find them again – my darling ones.”

“Though you are not my Svala, hear my words and live by them. Perhaps you will be spared from the curse of your name and mine,” Lorina continues. “I was torn between two worlds, Heaven and Earth. My heart belonged to a man, but I could not give it to him because it had already been promised to God. I served faithfully as a priestess, but in the end, I broke my solemn vow. I chose this world over eternity and now I am damned to remain here. I bore children and I knew happiness with the man I loved, but it came at the cost of my honor, my promise, and my soul. Honor your promises, little Lorena. Your first duty is always to God. Your second duty is to your family. Let not earthly pleasures captivate your mind, for we are on earth but a short time. Eternity in the Skies is far longer than any flickering moment spent upon the ground. Be good and dutiful and you shall be rewarded forever.”

Lorina lowers her head, beginning to cry. “Would that I had married the man I loved, instead of making false promises to God. Would that I had not broken my vows as a nun.  I would not be damned as I am now.” Her tears fall upon her lap, leaving stains upon her white gown. “I placed him before God in my heart and I still do. It is my eternal torment and my curse. Your word is your bond, little Lorena. Break it and suffer as I have. Killed by my own brothers in faith, and now I am the restless dead. Tormented to never see my husband and children again.”

“But...” She lifts her head, green eyes shimmering with a sheen of tears. Her incorporeal hands lift to cup Lorena’s face.  “But I am blessed now. A moment of respite has come to me. Because you look just like my Svala. My daughter sadly born of sin, though she did not ask to be in this world. And in your face, I can see her again. Perhaps God has taken pity on me, on my poor soul doomed to wander.”

“...Thank you.”

And with that, the moon slides once more over the clouds... and the specter fades from view.

1 hour ago, TheAlphaMoist said:

Have you ever run into the problem of people metagaming information in your diaries? Do you ever place misinformation inside of them or censor anything just in case? That’s something I’ve been meaning to ask for a fat minute now, but I don’t know you so I’ve never had a chance. 

okay back to ooc

I’ve encountered some mild metagaming but nothing bad. tbh i have never really cared if people metagame my stuff as long as it leads to good rp.

one time a random noblewoman was like “it’s you! the famous sister of vekaro!” when I was playing as my nun Lorina lol. I had never met her before and Lorina lived super deep in the country in a backwater duchy

so she was like “wut?????”

but it was funny ofc! 

And with Tanith my current char... ehhhh idc if anyone metagames. tan’s got no secrets lmao.

Yeah, genuinely always respected you even if we had quite a few conflicts back in the day. I know I was a pretty shitty kid back then and know there were quite a few things we clashed on. But it’s good to see you back on the server, your development of characters is fantastic to watch and a genuine breath of fresh air from the current LotC climate. And I think quite a few people need to look at your excerpt on roleplaying women, there’s always the crutch by gross people who want to oversexualise their characters through the use of explicit ‘you must look at me emotes’ to portray attractiveness instead of actually roleplaying in their mannerisms, speech patterns and overall demeanor.

Just good to see you’re alive and LotC needs more grassroots, in-depth character roleplayers

1 hour ago, ScreamingDingo said:

Yeah, genuinely always respected you even if we had quite a few conflicts back in the day. I know I was a pretty shitty kid back then and know there were quite a few things we clashed on. But it’s good to see you back on the server, your development of characters is fantastic to watch and a genuine breath of fresh air from the current LotC climate. And I think quite a few people need to look at your excerpt on roleplaying women, there’s always the crutch by gross people who want to oversexualise their characters through the use of explicit ‘you must look at me emotes’ to portray attractiveness instead of actually roleplaying in their mannerisms, speech patterns and overall demeanor.

Just good to see you’re alive and LotC needs more grassroots, in-depth character roleplayers

we had conflicts?

sorry, my memory is genuinely pretty crap. to be honest, i don’t remember anything about us butting heads. in any case, I’m willing to let bygones be bygones with p much everyone on the server. i’m willing to move on if you’re willing to forgive because i know i was genuinely very obnoxious myself

1 hour ago, Aengoth said:

Was Toov a Big Guy?

yeah he was like 8 feet tall. they called him a half-giant for a reason.

he and tanith were oren’s weirdest looking couple by far. i remember the masquerade ball and everyone was joking like “GEE I WONDER WHO THE PINK HAIRED DARK ELF AND THE EIGHT FOOT TALL GIANT ARE. WHAT A MYSTERY.”

but they were pretty cute together at least in my opinion

Fl2JNcd.jpg

still one of my favorite bits of tanith character art. (height difference there is accurate to the characters too. tanith’s pretty tall herself lol .)

On 5/28/2020 at 10:27 PM, Urara said:

1. combination of things. I quit because of burnout and also there was some OOC stuff going on, you know, the usual reasons. I was gone for five years because of life stuff and also I was roleplaying around on other servers as the descendants of Lorina, my last char on LOTC. Ask me about my super secret line of Carrion descendants. Incredibly hidden lore never published on LOTC!!!!

What are these super secret line of Carrions from other servers? Sounds very intriguing and I’d love to know more!

4 hours ago, Proddy said:

What are these super secret line of Carrions from other servers? Sounds very intriguing and I’d love to know more!

YES THANK YOU SOMEBODY ASKED AAAAAAAAAAAA

ahaha

Yes I love my secret-Carrions. I half-considered playing a character from my secret-Carrion line when I came back to LOTC. Cracker/Dibbo was kinda encouraging me to do that. but unfortunately my secret-Carrions are tied up in other roleplays at the moment. and they are of... dubious canon since they were played across other servers. I guess they could conceivably exist in LOTC but their storylines/history would need to be adjusted appropriately. 

SO WE’LL START WITH LORINA

This is Lorina Carrion, daughter of Tuvya Carrion, granddaughter of the Exalted Siegmund Carrion. 

AKNyhmM.png

So Lorina is... perhaps one of my most extensively played characters. I think I roleplayed as her on-and-off for a couple of OOC years, spanning her early childhood at age five up until her death when she was sixty-eight. I don’t recall why, but I thought it’d be really cute if tiny baby Lorina kept a diary. Her diary turned into one of the longest pieces of writing I’ve ever done for RP with a whopping 140 entries that pretty much detailed the entire course of her lifetime. I go back and re-read it about once a year. It still holds up really well imo. Some entries still bring a tear to my eye. what can I say. I’m sentimental. Lorina’s RP was important to me not only because I loved my character but also because it led to me meeting – and eventually marrying – my OOC husband. Lorina and her lover/eventual husband Jace are my OTP for all of eternity, never to be unseated. 10/10 great roleplay, best couple, wouldn’t change a DARN THING.

So to sum Lorina’s story up briefly – 

She was the youngest daughter born to Tuvya Carrion (Emperor Tobias I) and Mary Therving. From early childhood, she was raised in the church, getting her education from nuns at an abbey. When she was five years old, she moved to Vekaro where she was raised and educated by her cousin Siguine (eventually High Pontiff Daniel I), who was training to become a priest. Tuvya intentionally kept her away from the Imperial court and the capitol for her safety and protection. She eventually moved to Karovia when she was 12 and Siguine no longer had time to care for her. In Karovia, she was cared for by the Vanir family, who were viking seafolk. It was hilarious. Just imagine this gaggle of huge, burly viking men and this little tiny girl. (Lorina was called the ‘Little Crow’ for a reason – she was VERY short and small.) So for most of her childhood, Lorina was removed from everything happening in the capitol and didn’t know or care about it. She was vaguely aware that she was a princess but the title didn’t have a great deal of meaning to her, aside from the fact that she didn’t get to see her dad often. And she super loved her dad.

Eventually, however, the events taking place in the capitol would come to affect her greatly. Her father disappeared suddenly and her older brother Alexander took the helm of Oren. Alexander’s reign was troubled, though, and he would eventually face a coup from Maric Varodyr – who unseated Alexander and installed himself as King. Lorina had a childhood friend, Christopher Blackwell, who was in love with her and sought to protect her during the coup. She was kidnapped during the coup and taken to Angren, where she was given a choice to either marry Christopher or die. Since that’s not really much of a choice, she married Christopher. She DID love Christopher, but she wasn’t super happy with the arrangement she was forced into, given that she was also underaged at the time. (the marriage was never consummated, don’t worry)

Her marriage with Christopher was very troubled and neglectful. She wasn’t allowed to leave their manor and there was nobody at the manor except her. Christopher neglected her often. She was lonely and depressed, so she took to drinking. Eventually, Christopher (who at that point had renamed himself to Eamon I think) abruptly killed himself on her 20th birthday. Lorina attempted to leave the Blackwell Manor, but she was caught by undead allies of King Maric. The allies of Maric had been waiting for Christopher to die so that they could finally kill off Lorina and remove the last surviving Carrion. They attempted to bury Lorina alive with the corpse of Christopher.

BUT LORINA SURVIVED BECAUSE SHE’S A BADASS. I modreq’d a GM after they buried her and I was like “hey I’m gonna attempt to dig my way out of this grave, would you supervise me?” I was ready to PK if it went badly. But Lorina got some INCREDIBLE RNG luck and actually managed to dig her way out by rolling impressively well several times in a row. It was amazing and I was so hype when it happened

after that, Lorina was like “****, they are NEVER going to stop trying to kill me as long as I live.” So, wanting to live in peace and safety, she decided she would join the church with her cousin Siguine, whom she loved like a father. She figured that if she took a vow of chastity and never reproduced, she would be safe from these people trying to end her and the Carrion line. So she took the test to join the church. She built a little church in Karovia, where she grew up, because the Vanirs loved her and gave her land for a church without a second thought. 

but then she met this guy.

this guy

called Jace Evans Bracchus.

He was the mayor of Karovia under the Vanirs. And he helps Lorina build her church. He’s super nice, charming, handsome, hardworking, a faithful soldier, a wonderful friend, perfect gentleman who has enormous respect for her. They spend a huge amount of time together while the church is being built. They’re sitting together and talking for hours and hours about everything. Lorina falls 100% completely in love with this guy – and he, of course, falls madly in love with her as well. Lorina’s torn because she’s well along the path to becoming a nun, but she really, really wants to marry Jace. And the kicker is that Jace is willing  take her name and become a Carrion. Lorina has been under some pressure from her surviving family to continue the Carrion line. So she’s like... ****. I could become a nun and end the Carrion line, thus guaranteeing my safety. Or I could marry this man with whom I am WILDLY in love and continue the bloodline of exalted Siegmund... but put us both at risk from enemies who want my entire family line dead forever.

So she goes to big cousin Siguine / Daniel and asks him what to do. She’s like, big cousin, should I marry this guy? He’s like “no, you dumb ****, become a nun” and then immediately dies in her arms.

WELL GUESS I CAN’T SAY NO TO THAT.

Lorina becomes a nun but she’s still madly, passionately in love with Jace. So they’re like, to hell with it. We’re going to keep being together even if you are a nun. So they get secretly married. And they came up with all kinds of justifications for why it was TOTALLY OKAY and NOT BREAKING ANY VOWS. But they were still flagrantly flouting church law and, to this day, I have no idea how they weren’t caught. they would spend OOC HOURS alone together and be like “yeah... we were just... praying... and... uh... meditating... yeaaaaahhhhhhh...” everyone was like “yeah cool makes sense! there’s NOTHING sketchy going on here at all!”

Anyway, they have two secret babies – a boy and a girl. Svala and Andrik. Absolutely no one noticed the pregnancies lol. Just “GEE LORINA PUTTING ON SOME WEIGHT LATELY AREN’T YOU” “HAHA DA I NEED TO LAY OFF THE COMMUNION WINE HAHAHA.” The babies are kept hyper-secret and super hidden. Lorina cared for a lot of orphans at the time and so she just slipped her own children in among the orphans. No one was the wiser. 

Eventually, there was the Duke’s War and Jace got kidnapped by Savoy, it was a whole thing. He was held ransom for like 3 years. Eventually, at the end of the war, he was returned. He and Lorina were both pretty traumatized by what happened, but they had each other and their love for one another was as strong as ever. They’d been secretly and faithfully married for decades at that point. But when Guy de Bar was assassinated by the church, they both went “FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFRICK ALL THIS” and decided to book it, move somewhere they could live openly as husband and wife.

This is where my personal canon diverges from the LOTC canon a bit

In the LOTC canon, they were captured by the Canonist Church and both of them were executed. Their babies remained hidden, though, and presumably lived but it’s up to chance. No one ever knew about their babies except them. To the world, Andrik and Svala were orphans created by the Duke’s War. 

In my personal canon, they left Athera and ventured to a new land, where they lived happily ever after and died of old age surrounded by their children.

This leads us to..........

VICTAN AND TOBIAS

So my husband and I took a break from RP for a little bit after we quit LOTC. We dated for like four years and got married OOC. Then my husband stumbles across a new server. He wasl ike “hey, we could play Lorina and Jace’s grandkids.” I was like “SURE.”

We wanted to mix it up a bit, so we decided we would play a pair of brothers. We wanted a heaven-and-earth dichotomy between them. Victan, my husband’s character, was studying to become a priest. Tobias, my character, was kind of a drunk layabout who just wanted to party and get laid. 

c4ndVYJ.png

da bois

The human religion on that server had a fire theme going on. God was literally a giant ever-burning fire that was underground in a magic chamber beneath the grand cathedral.

anyway, tobi and vic kinda hated each other at first. but they actually developed a very wholesome brotherly bond as time went on. Tobias started out being a drunk, lazy libertine who hated work and only wanted to party. But over time, he found work in a tavern and discovered that he really, really loved to cook. His passion in life was making delicious food and he was INCREDIBLE at it. He bought the tavern he worked at and eventually became one of the richest, most respected men in town. He was called the Tavern King of [Insert Fantasy Land Name Here] (obviously not name dropping the server lol). He was super friendly and knew everybody on a personal level. One time, Tobias got attacked in the tavern by a drunkard and I swear the entire kingdom descended on his attacker because you don’t. mess. with. tobias. He was super popular and everybody’s friend. Eventually, he married his best buddy’s sister and they had two babies.

That were where things kind of took a turn. His wife was very free-spirited, like him, but she wasn’t as faithful and loyal as he was. She had a busy job in the government and often neglected Tobias and their children. He was fine with taking care of the kids. He absolutely adored his children and would have moved mountains for them. When his daughter was kidnapped by vampires, Tobias pretty much turned the entire world upside down to search for his little girl. He had search parties of all his buddies scouring literally every single city on the continent. (I guess it helped that he offered a frankly massive reward for the return of his daughter, but the person who brought her back actually turned the money down if I recall.) But anyway... wife was away often. And she had other lovers besides tobias. Their marriage became very very strained.

Eventually, the heartbreak and his drinking caught up to him, though. Tobias died in his 40’s of a sudden illness. Custody of his two children went to his wife, as well as all the profits from his business. 

Meanwhile his brother Victan single-handedly reformed the church, ushered in a golden age of theology, and was named the greatest pope who ever lived. no big deal.

becoming pope on that server involved submerging yourself in holy consecrated fire for five minutes to be “cleansed” of sin and receive a vision from Fire God. So Victan ended up looking a bit like bacon. there were many jokes about the bacon pope.

icHbK6P.png

poor guy lost his awesome mario mustache! anyway, he was named pope Alessander IV. 

Anyway, after Tobias, I decided to start playing his daughter, YULIYA.

UiQ287Q.png

Yuliya’s mom gave her up to Alessander IV’s custody, so Yuliya was raised in the church. She didn’t really have the temperament to be a nun, so she joined the Church’s martial forces as a Templar. Yuliya’s youth was... troubled to put it lightly. She absolutely despised her mother for abandoning her. And also her mom shacked up with a super-evil vampire which... uh... the church hated vampires. And Yuliya had some significant childhood trauma from being kidnapped by vampires at a young age.

This adds up to a troubled and rebellious young lady with severe abandonment issues and a whole heap of extremely violent hatred for all forms of undead. One of my friends described her as “abandonment issues held together by theology and bubblegum” which is pretty accurate. When she was 17, she lost her eye in battle against an undead monster. Yuliya was severely injured in the battle, but she was so determined to kill it that she just kept getting up and kept fighting. Her will was iron and her determination was unbreakable. NOTHING would EVER stop Yuliya once she decided to do something. 

She was not at all as friendly as her father, though. She was very prickly, sarcastic, and downright mean often times. But she was still an incredible force to be reckoned with and turned out to be one of the more powerful warriors on the server. She had an EXTREMELY awesome two-hander sword made of ice which was handed down to her by one of her father figures.

She had like five father-figures / mentors and every last one of them died lol. Yuliya went through a lot.

Eventually Alessander IV decided to step down from being pope because he wanted to take a role in government. He decided to choose Yuliya as his successor. She was burned in the consecrated fire and went on to become the youngest pope at the tender age of 20. She was also the second ever female pope. (There was another female pope before her, but the first lady pope got assassinated like... 3 days into her reign when she was still healing from the ritual burning). 

08ZUffD.png

Her pope name was Solomon IV.

She had to retire as a warrior because the ritual burning left her severely disabled. However, she oversaw a very rapid growth in the church’s martial forces and instituted some very strict anti-undead and anti-vampire measures. She created a powerful network of spies and vampire-hunters to track down and eliminate the undead within the holy city (which, at that point, included her mom because her mom had become a vampire).

Her personality mellowed out after the ritual burning and she became a great deal kinder, though still incredibly martial with an intense hate toward the undead. She styled herself as a mother to the church and referred to her priests and templars as her family. She was very affectionate with the members of the church. It is still told today that pope mom gave the best hugs (but hug her gently, she’s fragile). Her nickname was “Mama Solly” and her followers really loved her. It was so sweet.

uCO0r2S.png

pictured: pope mom giving one of her female templars a good hug

Yuliya / Solomon IV married her spymaster, who was an elf born in human lands. Priests were allowed to marry under the faith, so it was cool.

Anyway, through a combination of luck and magic, they had a son. Which brings us to... 

TEVYE

hUdVTtN.png

(hey i actually drew this one!)

He’s my current Carrion descendant.

Tevye was naturally raised in the church because his mom was pope. He’s very religious but isn’t really interested in being a priest or a templar himself. He’s kind of an average, chill guy who mostly just wants to run his small business (a tailor shop) in peace and find himself a nice wife. He’s friendly like Tobias but he’s got some hangups due to a difficult childhood. Tevye is a simple, hard-working, down-to-earth, humble guy who enjoys the little things in life. He loves history and is very proud of his storied lineage. 

...he kinda looks like High Prince Native now that I look at him.

Anyway I am currently RPing as Tevye in another roleplay. But WHO KNOWS, maybe I’ll import his eventual children over to LOTC. We’ll see.

THOSE ARE MY SECRET CARRIONS, HOPE YOU ENJOYED

so. whats ur ultimate guide to staying motivated to write diaries. i’ve tried to write diaries before (see: theodora) and im like “i’ll do it later” and i never do it later

20 hours ago, froeggy said:

so. whats ur ultimate guide to staying motivated to write diaries. i’ve tried to write diaries before (see: theodora) and im like “i’ll do it later” and i never do it later

a big motivator is the feedback I get from other people. it makes me feel really good when people read my writing and comment on it. there’s a few people who read my character diary like every day (looking at you guys @Gusano@King of Cartography and @Hanrahan) and I honestly do it for them ❤️

CartographyKing loved my diary so much, he would message me on discord practically every day and be like “URARA WHEN IS THE NEW ENTRY”

ofc part of it is my own enjoyment. I love to write. I love to think about my characters. but tbh, if nobody read my diary, I would feel way less motivated to write it! 

so the best motivator is to get a couple of friends who really enjoy your writing and love to read your diary. they’ll keep you motivated.

8 hours ago, Urara said:

CartographyKing loved my diary so much, he would message me on discord practically every day and be like “URARA WHEN IS THE NEW ENTRY”

I checked that diary so many times I was afraid you’d report me for stalking!

40 minutes ago, King of Cartography said:

I checked that diary so many times I was afraid you’d report me for stalking!

no way man!

honestly I look for ways to shoehorn Juan into my entries so I have an excuse to ping you lmao