Recovering The Ancient Tongue Of The Elves.

Sporadic

The following is OOC:

So yes, the above post contains metagaming. It was the only way I could convey all of the work nanatsuno has shared with us so far. Also, the bulk of this dictionary is accredited to nanatsuno, except for a single phrase of Tolkien elvish (I don't know why people insist on using this.. oh yeah... 'lord of the craft') used by Ezareth and the work of the Arcaeologists of Aegis (which amounts for one word).

It should be noted that nanatsuno's part is inspired by existing languages:

It is loosely based on some asian languages (mostly japanese) grammatically and structurally, on many other languages (from welsh to russian all over europe) phonetically. But almost all separate words aren't presented in earth languages as far as I know.

I have been puzzling to make his grammar and structure make sense, and it's proving difficult, but I did my best. I also added a few meanings and 'unusual conventions' (nothing major) to make the language seem more foreign and exotic, which should help immersion a bit.

The point of this thread isn't that I make up a language of my own. It is for everyone that likes immersion to contribute to, so that we may have better immersion, but also a peer-checked reference that will prevent twenty different types of elvish running together.

So, if you think your character knows some elvish, and you think it'll fit with what we already have presented here (which for convenience's sake may be accepted as official lore, as Availer seemed encouraging towards nanatsuno's original work: http://www.lordofthecraft.net/forum/index.php?/topic/8746-elven-roleplay-phrases/), then please reply here.

Excellent work Scholar! It is good to see that Mr. Aerin Lissar's vision of a rebuilt elven language has not been lost.

this is great work! although

im not sure if i appriciate

...the writings of primitive Dark Elves were in an ancient...

dark elves have never been any more or less intelligent than the average wood or high elf.

we certainly werent scratching words onto cave walls like simpletons,we simply chose to adorn our homes with words that carried meaning and power to us.this might fit better,in my opinion:

...the writings of early Dark Elves were in an ancient...

other than that i have no complaints,i think ill start using the words for various races in RP,and maybe at some point in the future,ill contribute :D

I helped with the excavation at Inwe, and wgat he meant by primitive was not insulting, it just meant that it was a long time ago.

I helped with the excavation at Inwe, and wgat he meant by primitive was not insulting, it just meant that it was a long time ago.

i understand,which i why i suggest the word early,it seems to easy to take more than one meaning from the word "primative".early seems much more clear cut.

i understand,which i why i suggest the word early,it seems to easy to take more than one meaning from the word "primative".early seems much more clear cut.

How one would see anything but admiration for the ancient Elven culture from these scriptures is utterly baffling. But ah, to argue is to waste time better spend on more pressing matters. I comply with your revision.

How one would see anything but admiration for the ancient Elven culture from these scriptures is utterly baffling. But ah, to argue is to waste time better spend on more pressing matters. I comply with your revision.

i thank you,

OOC:Been struggling to bounce between posts. There's more on the original post by Sting than what is here. Could you please update this post to include a whole bunch more words and phrases that have already been assembled, many by yourself. I'm chasing a comprehensive guide to elvish that I don't have to have 2 browsers open to use.

Would like to suggest a few things. Take it or leave it, but as in character I've been trying to adopt using ancient elven words, there's some that I would find useful.

Vileyah: Respectful noun for woman. For ladies of nobility or dear friends.

Hiylu'evar: Traditional greeting. Doubles as a blessing with the assumption that the receiver has been kept healthy in body and spirit.

Sirame (with rolling 'r'): Honour and connection to the forest. It is unwise to offend an elf's sirame.

Hileia: peace

I'm also having a little trouble piecing together sentences. Would this be correct.

omenta'lye tenna ento ame nae'leh evareh

meaning Until next we meet may the forest protect your spirit

[Has anyone tried pronouncing these? I'm trying to and might just post videos/black audio videos on my different pronunciation on these words. I'm of course trying to speak these in sentences too. Though easily confused after a few words. XD]

OOC:Been struggling to bounce between posts. There's more on the original post by Sting than what is here. Could you please update this post to include a whole bunch more words and phrases that have already been assembled, many by yourself. I'm chasing a comprehensive guide to elvish that I don't have to have 2 browsers open to use.

The point is, Sting's post contains Tolkien's elvish, which we purposely refrain from using here since it clashes with the works of nanatsuno, who has created the original LotC elvish. We try to create an original language here, from which we only have pieces.

(Yeah, I have a few words from Tolkien, and there'll probably be some more of them as we progress, but I try not to copy it directly.)

Would like to suggest a few things. Take it or leave it, but as in character I've been trying to adopt using ancient elven words, there's some that I would find useful.

Vileyah: Respectful noun for woman. For ladies of nobility or dear friends.

Hiylu'evar: Traditional greeting. Doubles as a blessing with the assumption that the receiver has been kept healthy in body and spirit.

Sirame (with rolling 'r'): Honour and connection to the forest. It is unwise to offend an elf's sirame.

Hileia: peace

Ah, thank you very much. It was contributions like this I was looking for :)

I will try to implement this into the original language as I have time. I warn you in advance, though, that I won't add every word due to consistency reasons. Once I implement it, I'll be glad to answer PMs about why some contributions weren't chosen.

I'm also having a little trouble piecing together sentences. Would this be correct.

omenta'lye tenna ento ame nae'leh evareh

meaning Until next we meet may the forest protect your spirit

Nanatsuno has stated:

"Ame nae'leh evareh" - "May the forest protect you".

'Spirit' is implied and need not be directly translated. It's there for grammatical reasons (nae'leh is a possessive tense, it's used in this sentence but there's no noun to possess, hence the implied 'spirit')

But yes, this sentence is correct :)

[Has anyone tried pronouncing these? I'm trying to and might just post videos/black audio videos on my different pronunciation on these words. I'm of course trying to speak these in sentences too. Though easily confused after a few words. XD]

Oh wow, well that would be a cool contribution. However, the point is that the pronunciation of the elvish language is lost to all but a select few, who guard it jealously.

The lore reason for this is that the Elven language is the language of nature. Elves used it to speak directly to trees and animals, which is the root of their potent magics. The OOC reason is because I don't want to have to worry about pronunciation as well ;) (grammar is tough enough).

I think a huge help would be in understanding sentence structures. I beleive that the first word is normally the subject...? and the last word is the ownership...? And somewhere in there is a connection between the owner and the subject.

i.e. That dog has a puffy tail: Puffy tail has that dog

Its not like yoda, it just might appear a bit that way.

((I would really like to see the vocabulary fleshed out,Id like to help with this.if there's a word that doesn't exist,do I just make up a word that sounds elvish? What syllables do they favor? [such as English favoring R's S's and E's] what is the common stressing of syllables? [English tends to stress the first syllable] all of these will help me create words that fit,and it makes pronunciation a lot easier

Like the word for moon

Velulaei

It looks to me like the stress is on the second syllable

Which would make it pronounced phoneticaly as

veh-LU-lie

If that's correct then maybe there is a trend for stress On the second syllable? Things like this help make better words,and make it easier for others to read.

And then grammar structure is an entire other story lol >.< ))

I think a huge help would be in understanding sentence structures. I beleive that the first word is normally the subject...? and the last word is the ownership...? And somewhere in there is a connection between the owner and the subject.

i.e. That dog has a puffy tail: Puffy tail has that dog

Its not like yoda, it just might appear a bit that way.

Structurally, the language is like japanese (as per nanatsuno). This means subject-object-verb, or 'that dog fluffy tail has'. I see no reason not to keep this.

((I would really like to see the vocabulary fleshed out,Id like to help with this.if there's a word that doesn't exist,do I just make up a word that sounds elvish? What syllables do they favor? [such as English favoring R's S's and E's] what is the common stressing of syllables? [English tends to stress the first syllable] all of these will help me create words that fit,and it makes pronunciation a lot easier

Like the word for moon

Velulaei

It looks to me like the stress is on the second syllable

Which would make it pronounced phoneticaly as

veh-LU-lie

If that's correct then maybe there is a trend for stress On the second syllable? Things like this help make better words,and make it easier for others to read.

And then grammar structure is an entire other story lol >.< ))

You can suggest words as you see fit and this will be heartily welcomed. If possible, you can cleverly derive words from existing things. Possibly nanatsuno did the same, as illustrated by this quote:

Uruk, ancient Sumerian city...Sumer...desert...orcs...that's sooo fitting!

Bortu, gemgrade and quality of diamond...rough and gritty...dwarves!

Valah, is that a referance to Walha/vlach? Valah becoming a exonym the elves use for humans?

Of course, you don't have to be a walking encyclopedia to come up with words, but deriving them from something can be good inspiration and add this twinge of recognition to readers.

I made Velulaei myself. It's a contraction from 'Velut Luna', the second line of the well-known 'O Fortuna' poem. For those who never studied latin, it means 'like the moon'. Hence being the name for a moon goddess. However, I always imagined it is pronounced veluLAEI, placing stress on the third syllable.

But as I said, I try not to worry about pronunciation. It is 'too difficult for modern mortals to understand'. Your character will probably mispronounce it if they want to use elvish IG, but nobody will be able to tell IC or OOC.

Well, I am planning on using "Thavor" for my family name, and I though it is borrowed from D&D, it means woodpecker.