Recovering The Ancient Tongue Of The Elves.

Sporadic

So one thing I've noticed in the guide(the copy/paste job of a document I have which is likely outdated by now), is that when explaining the use of 'ito' to indicate possession or even location, the examples don't follow the Subject-Object-Verb word order.

Is this an oversight, or is it a case of these examples being sentence fragments and thus when used in a full clause, would fit the word order correctly?
Because I could see how these fragments could be even deliberately grammatically incorrect due to informal speech or 'utterances,' but I'd just like some clarification.

Word update. Changelog follows:

maya: redeeming (mayan: redemption, mayar: to redeem)
mya: mercy (myan: merciful)
amana: virtuoso
fer'llyth: weapon
leur'igne: hearth, fireplace
sumana: savant
uell: countless, many, infinity, 'last'
suloem: beginning
suluell: end, apocalypse
paronn: old (maparonn: ancient)
inde: history
fer'len/fer'lenniel: instrument
linoronn: nomad
karimir: hero
kerir: villain
ilueth: demon

enet: time

lensuloem: seed, fruit

On 3/6/2018 at 5:55 PM, Aethling said:

So one thing I've noticed in the guide(the copy/paste job of a document I have which is likely outdated by now), is that when explaining the use of 'ito' to indicate possession or even location, the examples don't follow the Subject-Object-Verb word order.

Is this an oversight, or is it a case of these examples being sentence fragments and thus when used in a full clause, would fit the word order correctly?
Because I could see how these fragments could be even deliberately grammatically incorrect due to informal speech or 'utterances,' but I'd just like some clarification.

I feel like I meant to answer this but I must've forgotten. But for posteriority the use of "ito" is very consistent, it simply depends on the position in the sentence the word is placed in. "ito" when is used as "here" would take the place of an "Object" (although this is not strictly speaking a grammatical object), and it all other cases is a preposition.

In RP, if you think you are being unclear you can add your character gesturing through emotes, which is not unlikely something the ancient elves might've done as well ;)

The examples as "the forest walks within" obviously aren't very forthcoming about the usage of ito because they are silly sentences nobody would actually use, but it is consistent. Anyone that has questions can PM me.

Suggestion
llin - shame, embarassment, dishonor
lliner - to shame, to embarass

marllin - disgrace, humiliation

I’ve done some digging through this page, as I’d like to get into some tasty RP later and have devised some possible Elven terms for you all to use; do correct any grammatical errors as this is my first time studying LoTC’s linguistics:

Evar’maehr – Literally translating to “To protect, to preserve Knowledge”, figuratively translating to “Preserver of Knowledge”.

Maehr’sae – Literally translating to “Knowledge spreading, knowledge development”, figuratively translating to “Spreading of Knowledge”, “Development of Knowledge”, “Knowledge Spreader”, “Knowledge Developer”.

Uhier’maehr – Literally translates to “To seek Knowledge”, figuratively translating to “Knowledge Seeker” or “Scholar”.

Nealu’maehr – Literally translating to “To teach Knowledge”, figuratively translating to “Knowledge Teacher” or “Teacher”.

Puerith’maehr – Literally translating to “To record Knowledge”, figuratively translating to “Recorder of Knowledge” or “Librarian”,

Nealu’san – Literally translating to “To teach to Speak”, figuratively translating to “Teacher of Speech” or “Language Teacher”.

Taelu’san – Literally translating to “To learn to Speak”, figuratively translating to “Learner of Speech” or “Linguist”.

Taelu’san’an (Taelu’sanan) – Literally translating to “To learn to speak many”, figuratively translating to “Learner of many languages” or “Polyglot”.

Nealu’inde – Literally translating to “To teach History”, figuratively translating to “Teacher of History” or “History Teacher”, “Historian”.

Mali’taelu – Literally translates to “Elf to Learn”, where it could figuratively translate to mean “Elf who learns” or “Elf Student”.

Ailer’taelu – Literally meaning “Wizard to Learn”, where it could figuratively translate to “Wizard who learns” or “Wizardry Student”. Unfortunately, a rather exclusive term as no functional term for “Magic” or “Mystics” can be found.

Edited by Zastro_Steppe
Adding additional word phrase ideas

1 hour ago, Zastro_Steppe said:

I’ve done some digging through this page, as I’d like to get into some tasty RP later and have devised some possible Elven terms for you all to use; do correct any grammatical errors as this is my first time studying LoTC’s linguistics:

Evar’maehr – Literally translating to “To protect, to preserve Knowledge”, figuratively translating to “Preserver of Knowledge”.

Maehr’sae – Literally translating to “Knowledge spreading, knowledge development”, figuratively translating to “Spreading of Knowledge”, “Development of Knowledge”, “Knowledge Spreader”, “Knowledge Developer”.

Uhier’maehr – Literally translates to “To seek Knowledge”, figuratively translating to “Knowledge Seeker” or “Scholar”.

Nealu’maehr – Literally translating to “To teach Knowledge”, figuratively translating to “Knowledge Teacher” or “Teacher”.

Puerith’maehr – Literally translating to “To record Knowledge”, figuratively translating to “Recorder of Knowledge” or “Librarian”,

Nealu’san – Literally translating to “To teach to Speak”, figuratively translating to “Teacher of Speech” or “Language Teacher”.

Taelu’san – Literally translating to “To learn to Speak”, figuratively translating to “Learner of Speech” or “Linguist”.

Taelu’san’an (Taelu’sanan) – Literally translating to “To learn to speak many”, figuratively translating to “Learner of many languages” or “Polyglot”.

Nealu’inde – Literally translating to “To teach History”, figuratively translating to “Teacher of History” or “History Teacher”, “Historian”.

Mali’taelu – Literally translates to “Elf to Learn”, where it could figuratively translate to mean “Elf who learns” or “Elf Student”.

Ailer’taelu – Literally meaning “Wizard to Learn”, where it could figuratively translate to “Wizard who learns” or “Wizardry Student”. Unfortunately, a rather exclusive term as no functional term for “Magic” or “Mystics” can be found.

Where you’re indicating a ‘seeker’ ‘scholar’ ‘teacher’ etc., you should use “-ir: - Designates the purpose of someone
Teacher is nealuir
taelu, as in Mali’taelu, is still a stem-word and means nothing on its own. You mean taeluir, lit. “one who learns” i.e. student.

12 hours ago, Aethling said:

Where you’re indicating a ‘seeker’ ‘scholar’ ‘teacher’ etc., you should use “-ir: - Designates the purpose of someone
Teacher is nealuir
taelu, as in Mali’taelu, is still a stem-word and means nothing on its own. You mean taeluir, lit. “one who learns” i.e. student.

Will note some grammatical amendments below; please make any further corrections. And thanks for the help!

Nealu’maehr – Literally translating to “To teach Knowledge”, figuratively translating to “Knowledge Teacher”.

• Nealuir – Someone who teaches, “Teacher”

Mali’taelu – Literally translates to “Elf to Learn”, where it could figuratively translate to mean “Elf who learns”.

• Taeluir – Someone who learns, “Student”
    • Fi’taeluir – Lit. “New Student”, or “Initiate”

• Mali’taeluir – Elf who learns, “Elf Student”
  • Bortu’taeluir – Dwarf who learns, “Dwarf Student”
  • Valah’taeluir – Human who learns, “Human Student”
  • Uruk’taeluir – Orc who learns, “Orc Student”

Uhier’maehr – Literally translates to “To seek Knowledge”.

• Uhierir – Someone who seeks, “Seeker”
  • Uhierir’maehr – Someone who seeks Knowledge, “Scholar”

Taeluir’ailer – Someone who learns Wizard, figuratively translating to “Wizard Student”.

Nealuir’ailer – Someone who teaches Wizard, figuratively translating to “Wizard Teacher”.

Puerith’maehr – Literally translating to “To record Knowledge”.

• Puerithir – Someone who writes, “Scribe”
  • Puerithir’maehr – Someone who records knowledge, “Librarian”

Nealu’san – Literally translating to “To teach to Speak”

• Nealuir’san – Someone who teaches to Speak, “Linguistics Teacher”

Taelu’san – Literally translating to “To learn to Speak”

• Taeluir’san – Someone who learns to speak, “Linguistics Student”

Taelu’san’an (Taelu’sanan) – Literally translating to “To learn to speak many”.

• Taeluir’sanan – Someone who learns to speak many, “Polyglot”

Nealu’inde – Literally translating to “To teach History”.

• Nealuir’inde – Someone who teaches history, “History Teacher”, “Historian”

Evar’maehrLiterally translating to “To protect, to preserve Knowledge”, figuratively translating to “Preservers of Knowledge”.

• Evarir’maehr – Someone who preserves knowledge, someone who protects knowledge.

Nealuir’ignesae – Someone who teaches War, “War Teacher”

Nealuir’norsae – Someone who teaches farming, “Farming Teacher”

Nealuir’bilok – Someone who teaches to create, figuratively translating to “Craft Teacher”

With the amendment of the Ancient Elven word for “Teacher”, “Maehr’sae” becomes redundant and will thus be purged from the study.

Edited by Zastro_Steppe
Will add additional terms/phrases/titles

With the amendment of the Ancient Elven word for “Teacher”, “Maehr’sae” becomes redundant and will thus be purged from the study.

@Zastro_Steppe This triggers a good High Elf. ;)

maehr’sae should probably be used to describe the act of learning, but it has also come to mean the progress of science or wisdom very generally speaking. 

maehr’sae hiylun’ehya (roughly translated into progress and health) is what the High Elves have come to name the philosophy they live[d] by.

46 minutes ago, Aythyinae said:

@Zastro_Steppe This triggers a good High Elf. ?

maehr’sae should probably be used to describe the act of learning, but it has also come to mean the progress of science or wisdom very generally speaking. 

maehr’sae hiylun’ehya (roughly translated into progress and health) is what the High Elves have come to name the philosophy they live[d] by.

Ah, my study was for more direct/literal terms derived from what I saw on the first page of the thread; no triggering intended x)

Even so, a fruitful offense it could be considered, as you’ve taught me a new word to revere.

I like how we usin this 8 years later. What a good post this was

As I was reading this I was constantly thinking of Japanese. The use of seed words is very similar to kanji and so many of the grammatical elements are like Japanese (word order, the affix usage is similar to Japanese tenses, the omission of subjects and objects, ‘leh acting as の and ‘ehya seeming very similar to も when used as particles), though there are certainly western infulences such as the conjugations and the ‘opative’ being like Romance’s subjunctive mood. Overall, I’m a big fan of this.

Is there a way to say like or similar to? Also would this be correct? I think she is training to be a leader –  iyathe taelue hae’leh coon hae’leh  And finally, I would really like it if you could expand on the subject-object-verb thing, like where do adverbs go? What do you do when you have multiple subjects or multiple verbs? Ect. Thanks

Ciwlehe

Common usages; Ciwleh'ir: a person who Ciwleh'al, Ciwleh'al: the action of Ciwlehe, Ciwleh'an: indictive of plurality

Definition

A state of consciousness in which a descendent (or descendent level intelegence being) apparently loses the power of voluntary action and is highly responsive to suggestion or direction.

Derivation
from the seed word Ciw, which means sleep, and 'leh which is indicative of affliction

-----------------------------------------------------

Taeval/Taedrar

Taedrar: A more harsh wording of Taeval in, translating roughly to *Mind Melting* instead of *Mind Washing

Definition

the process of pressuring someone into adopting radically different beliefs by using systematic and often forcible means. Methods for this have not been

Derivation
Derived roughly from taeleh which means: mind and vull which means to trick

'Ayi'mal'; 'ayilari'; 'ayi'oem.' Bastardized shorthands platonically referring to 'beloved man', 'beloved woman', 'beloved one'; as close as family, but not tethered by the same familial bond which would prevent romance or other such connections. Also doesn't overwrite existing familial bonds.

Can we add a 2 - 3 syllable word for badger please and thank you <3 I need it for rp reasons 🙏